significant overnight drop - scale error?

Options
Over the past 8 months or so, I've been steadily dropping about 7-10 pounds per month (towards a total goal of 130 pounds lost). I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable weighing myself nearly every day, and I don't freak out over the little daily ups and downs; the trendline is the important bit. However, I'm a little confused today. For the past 2 1/2 weeks or so, I've been hovering around the same weight, give or take a pound. Then this morning I weigh myself, and I've dropped over 13 pounds since yesterday. I've checked and double-checked it. I tried weighing myself holding my cat, and the difference was about what it should be (accurate within a half pound or so).

I know water retention can sometimes temporarily hide weight loss, but I haven't been urinating any more than normal, nor have I had any especially spectacular movements recently. Besides, 13 pounds of water retention seems extreme (that's what, a gallon and a half?). My wife has also experienced a couple of these sudden drops as well, though not quite as dramatic, and the in her case, the weight didn't reappear a day or two later; it seems to be a genuine drop. Is this just indicative of a wonky scale, or is there another explanation for this sort of bursty loss?

Replies

• tihi18
    tihi18 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Have you tried weighing yourself on another scale yet?
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Put a 5lb hand weight on your scale and weigh it. If it doesn't weigh at exactly 5, then your scale is off. If it weighs correctly - go celebrate!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've experienced those before .. in fact, thats my norm. I don't lose weight weekly, and then after 2 or 3 weeks, I get a sudden drop. I've seen a dietitian about my weight, and she explained that some times our bodys just react that way. It could be because you have already lost so much weight that now your body is struggling to hold on to what reserve it has left week after week .. and then eventually, it will drop off, obviously because you are still doing the work to lose weight! It might be a frustrating aspect, but it is not uncommon. Just look at it as a loss is a loss! =) Keep it up!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Try weighing on another scale and if there is more that a a couple lbs difference, maybe you should buy a new scale, but if not then congrats!! It can happen like that! It has happened to me before. Especially when you have a lot of weight to lose! I think fluid retention plays a big factor. I thought I was going to be the same or up a few lbs yesterday when I weighed due to that but I had actually lost 5 lbs. makes me wonder what I would have weighed if I hadn't been so bloated :noway: Good Job and Good luck!!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    ya that is a huge drop, swap the batteries.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Though I found that when I was losing (also 130 pounds, about 7-10 a month like you, weighing most days) it would be pretty common to be at a standstill then suddenly see a big drop, seemingly overnight.

13 pounds is a bit excessive though. I'd suggest getting new batteries and seeing what happens.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Also make sure the scale is on an even surface, and if it has those little feet on the bottom, that they are all level and sitting properly on the bottom. My scale will give wonky readings if it's on uneven tiles or if the feet are off - and definitely check those batteries.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I would check the scales, I found that I could "lose" 6lbs instantly depending on where I positioned the scales as the floor wasn't 100% flat!

However I dont think the whole drop is an error I think you have probably lost some just that amount is fishy so double check it :)
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've experienced this too...after months of losing like half pound every 3 weeks or so and being discouraged about all the efforts put forth, one morning I weighed on my weighing day just because of routine and there it was...6 lbs...I did the on off the scale dance too but it was right !
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    sunspots