Carbs without sugar?

Options
Ok, I am really struggling today! I am working very hard on paying attention to not only my calories, but my sugar carbs. How can I possibly get the carbs i need, without going over on my sugar? It's ridiculous! I started running to train for a 5k while trying to lose weight at the same time. I am 5'3" and 165 pounds, NOT GOOD! Because I am running, I am trying to make sure i get protein for my muscles. How am I supposed to balance all of this and make sure my sugars are not over? Forget the greek yogurt, because the sugar in that is over the top! I feel so defeated today. This is so hard!

I know that whole wheat pasta has no sugar carbs, but I can't exactly eat that every meal. Any help is greatly appreciated! I really need to get this under control this time. I can't keep starting and stopping and starting. I feel like a failure. HELP! :-)

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Well carbs and sugar are one and the same....
    So depending on what you are getting it may not be that bad....

The only other option I see is to do Green Veggies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unless you are diabetic, i wouldnt worry too much about sugar.... get a good balance of carbs, protein and fat and stick to your calorie goal and you will lose weight.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    "I know that whole wheat pasta has no sugar carbs..."

I don't believe that's accurate? Did you find a carb control brand?

Anyway, carbs aren't the devil. Veggies contain carbs, for example. I'd suggest that you eat healthy, balanced meals, and try to cut back on refined sugar (i.e.: fruit-natural sugars, cake, cookies, brownies-refined sugars). If you are eating plenty of veggies, fruits, and getting a reasonable amount of protein/fat, you should be totally fine to work out without depriving your body of nutrients/energy.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Except for maybe 1 piece of fruit a day, I do not consume any sugar at all. You can check out my diary log's for the last week or so and see how I do it. It is really easy...you can send me a friend request I am on here every day..
  • jackiegumbert
    jackiegumbert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i ignore the sugar category on here, honestly. There's a difference between healthy and unhealthy sugar. Make the right choice!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am really struggling today! I am working very hard on paying attention to not only my calories, but my sugar carbs. How can I possibly get the carbs i need, without going over on my sugar? It's ridiculous! I started running to train for a 5k while trying to lose weight at the same time. I am 5'3" and 165 pounds, NOT GOOD! Because I am running, I am trying to make sure i get protein for my muscles. How am I supposed to balance all of this and make sure my sugars are not over? Forget the greek yogurt, because the sugar in that is over the top! I feel so defeated today. This is so hard!

I know that whole wheat pasta has no sugar carbs, but I can't exactly eat that every meal. Any help is greatly appreciated! I really need to get this under control this time. I can't keep starting and stopping and starting. I feel like a failure. HELP! :-)

What's wrong with sugar?
  • dorisbunker39
    dorisbunker39 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i ignore the sugar category on here, honestly. There's a difference between healthy and unhealthy sugar. Make the right choice!

Agreed, it is there as an indication and you can make up your own mind to what is good for you, I always go over the sugar content but unless it is a Friday it is because I eat a lot of fruit. Apple being my worse sugar but I will NEVER let go of my apple
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Except for maybe 1 piece of fruit a day, I do not consume any sugar at all. You can check out my diary log's for the last week or so and see how I do it. It is really easy...you can send me a friend request I am on here every day..

you consume no sugar at all? what about in the bread, luna bar and truffle that are all in your diary this week?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Carbs are sugar. Both carbs and sugar are broken down in the body to it's simplest form and then used for energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Agreed, it is there as an indication and you can make up your own mind to what is good for you, I always go over the sugar content but unless it is a Friday it is because I eat a lot of fruit. Apple being my worse sugar but I will NEVER let go of my apple

i eat an apple every day, i started cutting it out when my carbs were a bit high, but then figured it was an apple!! it's definitely doing me more good than bad!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sugar is tricky. If you eat much fruit, you are going to go over. But as a runner you need more carbs than many others.

IMO it's more important to track fiber than sugar. If I am within my carb goal and meet or exceed my fiber goal (which I set higher than the default) then I don't care how much sugar I get. Fiber is the key IMO. Soluable fiber reduces risk of CVD, insoluable fiber helps keep the gut clean and things moving along smoothly. And fiber slows digestion so no blood glucose rush after a meal and I feel full longer.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is not high in sugar. It's the added fruit and flavoring that is. Get plain Greek yogurt and you can control how much additional sugar you add to it. By gradually cutting back on the sweetness over time, you can adapt to it being far less sweet and appreciate it for the tartness that goes so well with fresh fruit. Plain yogurt is also much cheaper by buying it in larger containers.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

totally...if you aim for lower carb choices - like cut out bread, pasta, suger in your coffee - then you will be in balance without even looking! Focus on protiens and veggies and fruit and nuts and use carby things for "treats". Instant balance.
  • dorisbunker39
    dorisbunker39 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

i eat an apple every day, i started cutting it out when my carbs were a bit high, but then figured it was an apple!! it's definitely doing me more good than bad!!

My apple is my best snack and I love it. I know that the properties of certain food outweigh the idea of weight. Never call a food bad any hows. We all know if it is fresh then it is the best..... I love a cheese burger and fries like the next person but I eat those a once in a blue moon and my treat is always my fruit snacks, just love them xxx
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    try sweet potatoes. great source of vitamins and carbs.
  • terridrake69
    terridrake69 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will do that!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

Easy. Get your carbs from veggies. That's what I do.....

But (and that's a big BUT)....if you are running, I would venture to say that you will need to gas up on carbs. You need to fuel your workouts & the best way to do that is with carbs. This usually means the starchy stuff.

I'm T2D so I need to watch my carbs from sugar, but if you are not preD or have any other insulin related issue, I wouldn't sweat the sugar carbs. If you're running, then you're burning them off, too much & not enough activity = extra carbs/calories stored as fat.

Note that I said 'extra' :wink:
  • markdmills
    markdmills Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's also important to remember that carbs do not equal carbs. Simple carbs from white sugar, donuts, etc., also called "empty carbs," go straight to the blood stream and require an instant insulin demand. These might be helpful just before doing a heavy workout where the body will instantly use it as fuel. Complex carbs, such as in fruit, sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc., also come along with fiber and require the body to break them down before converting them to energy, so they convert to blood sugar values more slowly. Complex carbs don't spike blood sugar the way simple carbs do, which is why people with diabetes might do better with sweet potatoes than Russet potatoes. Also, when looking at the carb values on labels, you can subtract the amount of fiber grams from the carb grams to get a general idea of how much sugar impact that food will have on the system.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I agree with ignoring sugar but from a weight loss perspective, there is no difference between sugar in an apple vs a snickers. Its calories. If calories in <out then you get weight loss. Heck I eat a klondike bar every night and I have lost 4 lbs in 4 weeks to hit my low again.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think it's also important to remember that carbs do not equal carbs. Simple carbs from white sugar, donuts, etc., also called "empty carbs," go straight to the blood stream and require an instant insulin demand. These might be helpful just before doing a heavy workout where the body will instantly use it as fuel. Complex carbs, such as in fruit, sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc., also come along with fiber and require the body to break them down before converting them to energy, so they convert to blood sugar values more slowly. Complex carbs don't spike blood sugar the way simple carbs do, which is why people with diabetes might do better with sweet potatoes than Russet potatoes. Also, when looking at the carb values on labels, you can subtract the amount of fiber grams from the carb grams to get a general idea of how much sugar impact that food will have on the system.

The "impact" that food has on the system is completely irrelevant to anything unless you have a medical disorder preventing your body from handling it normally.