something weird to think about.

Ok I can't or don't understand this. every time I gain weight people tell me I'm fat or very unhealthy and yes the words hurt. But then when I start dropping weight and they tell me I'm looking good and look healthy, I go right back to eating the wrong foods and gain all my weight back. And I don't know why.

Replies

• TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    self-sabotage, I would rather people not say anything either way and just let me get on with it. Whenever people used to comment I would think that I had done enough so would stop and revert to old ways. I think as well we are scared of the unknown so go back to what is familiar.

Try and stick to the healthier eating and exercise and if people comment just say thank you and carry on with what you are doing.

I know I was miserable when I was bigger and I know being slim won't make me happier but I will definitely be fitter and healthier and that is more important to me now.

Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I find that I tell myself "ooh, I've lost weight, I should reward myself with chocolate". Currently trying to re-wire my brain to think that running is a better reward than chocolate. Have had some (slow) progress in that my chocolate cravings have gone down.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It could be the method you use to lose weight. Do you cut out all the "wrong foods" when you are trying to lose and get heatlhy?

While eating "wrong foods" isn't a necessity for losing weight, cutting out all the wrong foods isnt' a necessity for having a healthy diet either. If you are cutting out all these wrong foods that you enjoy, I'd suggest that this time you try cutting back on them, but not cutting them out entirely.

Focus on getting more good nutritious foods into your diet, but also allow room for those not-so-nutritious now and then. A healthy diet does not have to be 100% "healthy foods".
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    You should just say, I know I tend to crave chocolate, so today I'm going to go ahead and log it and make sure I eat well enough to meet my macros so that when I eat that chocolate later.... it's not cheating, I don't have to feel guilty, I'm not falling off the wagon, and tomorrow I can keep going.
  • I fill ya, :ohwell: I have been trying to loose weight my whole life. My mother took her life when I had just turned 13 in 1978 :brokenheart: . My father remarried 8 months later to this lady that Had Never had children and of course she probably weighed 99 pd . I weighed 120-130 in high school and she ALWAYS told me I was FAT :grumble: . She would lock and hide food from us and when we got home from school we couldn't snack. She always told me if I was skinnier I would be so pretty.
    When my mom died I did gain a little weight sat in front of tv and ate cuz I was soo sad and lost without my mom.
    I moved out and had lost weight and was 115 until I had my 1st child and gained ALOT of weight . I have been up and down :sad: TRYING to loose the weight Because in my head I have that people will like me better Skinny and I feel when I go out people are judging me and talking about me. When I see a Women whom is beautiful Has the body and the beautiful hair I feel like a looser.:frown: I guess from growing up with an EVIL Stepmother It just sticked to my head that I am an UGLY person.
    But over the years I married this wonderful man whom loves me for me. I start dieting and he says he loves me no matter what and its me that is hard on myself. :cry:
    But Now I am doing it for me. But I do understand what you are saying , I started Nutrisystem and went from 265 to 220 and gain back to 245 cuz I just couldn't see myself spending so much money on it . It started out at 199.00 and shot up to 350 so I stopped.
    Then I heard about Weight Watchers and started eating healthy again and exercising and I lost . from 246 to 218 , my points started to go down and I felt like I couldn't eat nothing but veggies and fruits. My points would be gone from a meal . :sick:
    But that's what bothers me so much I have always been an active person walking , exercise and I Don't eat out all the time watch my portions and I am still FAT..
    I get told that its no healthy to be overweight and would feel a lot better if I lost.
    But I feel good and PEOPLE I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT FOR EVER. ..
    Its harsh when they tell me that because they don't know me day by day and what I eat. I don't over indulge when I eat so I don't know why . But I am trying one more time and see how this works.
    I know I went on and on but I just wanted you to know I TOTALLY understand
  • Great Advice , I wish someone would have told me that growing up.
    I keep telling myself that I will be happier slimmer instead of seeing this monster in the mirror.
    GOD created us all different for a reason , Its up to us to be Happy.
  • dokme
    dokme Posts: 31
    thank you.
  • dclive32
    dclive32 Posts: 1 Member
    First thing, people who tell you that you look bad are not friends. Second if you are working out for someone else you aren't going to have sustained success. You have to want it and accept the fact that dieting is hard work, and if you take shortcut you be right back where you started if not worse. Dieting is not a halway commitment. Picture it more akin to walking along a road, not dieting is one side while dieting is the other, half way commitments get you hit by traffic in the middle. It's frustrating and impossible unless you have the right motivation.

My advice is to have a goal, not just a weight but maybe, and this is something I did, buy a pair of jeans that you want to fit into or another article of clothing. For me I bought the size pants I was when I was in the Army, a 12 inch difference from what I was at the time. No matter how many compliments you get, and those are great to get if you let them motivate you, you'll still have something to accomplish. Basically you need a goal outside of how others feel about you good or bad.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Today at work someone told me my dress made me look slender. I put that dress on to wear to work Aug 10 and it was tight across my hips. NSV for me, but I thought later that I was glad she didn't say I looked slender because I am 30 pounds from my goal weight and I need to keep going.

I totally understand the urge to stop but if you are doing this for yourself then you will keep going.