In desperate need of clean snacks and lunch!

Options
Hi! Im in need of some good and clean snacks and lunch ideas for not just myself but also my my two kids who are 7 and 4. Any ideas will be helpful! Thanks so much. Also need some good homemade salad dressing ideas!

Replies

• Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    veggies and hummus
    hard boiled eggs
    fruit and yogurt parfaits
    almonds, walnuts, etc
    wraps
    home made chili

ummm check out my diary its open some stuff is junk food but i mostly eat pretty healthily.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The salad dressings I use most often are:

- plain lemon juice
    - wine vinegar
    - balsamic vinegar
    - quark mixed with chopped fresh herbs and let down with a little water
    - quark mixed with grated cucumber, garlic with or without shredded spring onions
    - plain v. low fat yogurt with lemon juice, mustard and black pepper
    - plain v. low fat yogurt with sriracha
    - plain v. low fat yogurt with lemon juice, spot of tomato passata, tabasco and black pepper

Hope that's a few ideas for you. I haven't found a convincing vinaigrette alternative so have just decided to avoid it for now.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The salad dressings I use most often are:

- plain lemon juice
    - wine vinegar
    - balsamic vinegar
    - quark mixed with chopped fresh herbs and let down with a little water
    - quark mixed with grated cucumber, garlic with or without shredded spring onions
    - plain v. low fat yogurt with lemon juice, mustard and black pepper
    - plain v. low fat yogurt with sriracha
    - plain v. low fat yogurt with lemon juice, spot of tomato passata, tabasco and black pepper

Hope that's a few ideas for you. I haven't found a convincing vinaigrette alternative so have just decided to avoid it for now.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Cut up a sweet potato, sprinkle some cinnamon, and bake! Healthy "fries" that are so delicious it could almost be a dessert :) Here is one of my favorites site for healthy/clean recipes. http://www.blogilates.com/recipe-index

Salsa is my favorite salad dressing. Tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, lime juice, jalapeno if you want a kick~
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You could pre-make a bunch of small-sized smoothies and keep them in the fridge/freezer.
    Fruit is another great option, I like sliced strawberries with balsamic vinegar.
    Check out homemade granola recipes.
    Celery and homemade hummus is a favorite of mine.

There's really a lot you can do here, it's just all about pre-planning and pre-preparing them so you're ready to go when you're feeling snacky.
  • uthatswho
    Options
    Every try making bento lunch box? I use midget tupperware to portion of snacks to mix and match my lunches with a salad.
    This has some ideas - http://www.bitingthehandthatfeedsyou.net/2013/05/crunch-color-healthy-eating-challenge.html
  • smbingham1
    Options
    I <3 the bento box idea, if you have time. And homemade hummus is always a winner (it's easy to make, and it's cheaper/healthier/tastier than store-bought).

I have a subscription to NatureBox snacks - they're fairly affordable and tasty enough for kids to enjoy. Here's a link for 50% off your first box, if you're interested: http://fbuy.me/iXIj

Good luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you eat it in the bath tub it's clean.

harmony.gif
  • gale1089
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day and if I don't pre-pack snacks, I go crazy and eat all of the unhealthy stuff we have sitting around. I prepare and measure everything that morning so I have less prep at work.

My go-to snacks are...
    Reduced Fat Cheese Sticks
    Apple/Pear/Peach
    Almonds
    Roasted Edamame
    Plain Greek Yogurt with cinnamon
    Applesauce with cinnamon
    Dried Unsweet Banana Chips

Lunch is usually:
    Grilled Chicken (3-4oz.)
    Frozen/Fresh Veggies
    Canned Tuna
    Avocado slices
    Or a salad (for dressing I usually make my own olive oil/vinegar and lemon juice. Trader Joe's has some healthy Ginger and Soy dressings that I love too)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    If you eat it in the bath tub it's clean.

harmony.gif

This. :happy:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    apples? carrot sticks? Kids will pretty much munch away on whatever.

you could rinse off a pop tart too, but I wouldn't want to.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lnprewitt
    Options
    My favorite go to snacks are baby carrots with hummus and low fat string cheese with grapes just to name a couple. In my opinion, Pinterest is the BEST when it comes to finding new ideas! You should check it out! Lots of cool ideas! Ive got an awesome strawberry vinegarette recipe that i will share with u as soon as i can find it! Its not good on every salad but AMAZING with a chicken salad or just mixed veggies!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm a big into baking and I've designated Monday's as my baking days for this fall/winter. This past Monday I made 7 recipes over several hours and my freezer/counter is overflowing with healthy things for school lunches and after school snacks. My all time favorite recipe site is Yummly-like pinterest but only for recipes. You can organize them by categories you make, and you can also easily find recipes that work around allergy ingredients (we have a dairy sensitivity in the family so this is a huge help for me). It's a totally free site and I can't recommend it enough!

Today my kid's had pear sauce that I made in the crock pot in their lunches, along with whole wheat oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. When they came home from school they had raw apple walnut raisin muffins. With supper we had some of the homemade whole wheat bread I made. Breakfast tomorrow will be dairy free pancakes-I made a triple batch of these on Monday and put some in the freezer and some in the fridge.
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I got a bunch of good ideas that I haven't thought of! :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • JCES10
    JCES10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, nut, hot air popcorn.