Dealing with the Dining Hall

Options
Hopefully there are some folks on here who can offer some advice. I'm currently a college student on a meal planning, meaning that 2-3 times a day I'm stuck trying to keep my focus and motivation when facing down the dreaded dining hall. This issue isn't knowing what I should be eating, my school as decent enough choices usually (a full salad bar, usually some low calorie vegan/vegetarian options, grilled chicken, etc). The issue is staying on a deficit and keeping myself from binging on the high calories/low nutrient foods (desserts are a huge issue here, but I have problems keep my portions limited with any sort of food). Basically I have a hard time stopping when I know I could just walk twenty steps and get a very tasty sandwich, cookie (or two or seven...), bowl of cereal, you get the idea.

So does anyone (especially current students or recent grads) have advice on navigating the dining hall when trying to keep a deficit?

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    MMMM I used to love my dining hall's food. Especially the chicken nuggets- my roommate and I would smuggle out pocketfuls lol!

I think it would be best for you to go during a very busy time, that way you have to get in, get what you're eating, then get out so other people can go. Make up a meal plan in your head (or write it down if you need to) and grab that stuff only. Sit down and eat and then leave (make appts, meet up with friends so you have no choice). You can even get your food to go and eat somewhere else so you won't be tempted to go back.

Tell yourself 'I don't or won't eat that' rather than 'I can't' to give you back some control- YOU are the one who chooses what you eat, so make good choices!

Finally, eat the damn dessert every now and then- or every day if you have room in your calories! :) I don't believe in deprivation and if you check out my diary, I nearly always have a sweet a day.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Measure, measure, measure. I know it sounds stupid when it's buffet style, but it's the key. You don't necessarily need to measure while you're in line (you might p!ss some people off that way), but bring some measuring cups or a small scale with you and measure once you're at your table. Scoop out what you think is a decent serving and measure once you get back to your table. You get as much food as you want so if you have to throw away (or keep for later :happy: ) an ounce of cereal or pasta, then so be it. That way you can accurately log your food.

Also, just keep away from the desserts. Allow yourself to get dessert once or twice a week but still keep your portion in check. Or, if you know you have the calories left for the day, have a dessert that will fit your numbers.

One trick that helped me was to pack small snacks for throughout the day so I wasn't completely starving once I got to the dining hall. Pack some granola bars, fruit, a sandwich (I like tuna salad or fat free turkey breast) so you can snack between classes or when you have a break. Also, I always kept a water bottle with me at all times so I didn't get dehydrated trucking it across campus to all of my classes. Once it was empty, I'd find a fountain and fill that baby back up.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always had a one plate ruleand didn't use trays that way it forced me to stay within what I could carry.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I gained most of my weight from eating at the dining hall my freshman year, and that was 12 years ago. It took me this long to get serious about losing it, so don't follow what I did!

My parents were pretty restrictive about what I ate in my teenage years. I didn't drink much soda or eat fast food often, and was very active. I'm a 5' 7" male and weighed between 130 and 140 for most of high school, and "bulked up" to almost 150 after doing some weight training my senior year. When I finally got to college and had unlimited eating options, I went crazy. I probably gained 30 pounds that year. I had 3-4 high calorie meals a day, eating a ton of fried stuff and desserts. A lot of it was psychological, since I never had that much junk food available before and felt independent about my eating choices finally. Beer didn't help either.

The fact that you're concerned about it now makes you a step ahead of most people. I would try to get the dining hall's menu beforehand to plan healthy choices, and just be diligent about tracking what you eat here and staying at your goal. Don't deny yourself the desserts and junk completely, but make sure to make room for it by exercising or eating less that day. Oh, and speaking of exercising, use the facilities your college offers! You are paying for it, after all, so you might as well be fit! Just try to have willpower when at the dining hall and keep all of the junk food out of sight/out of mind. Remind yourself of your goals often and stick to a plan!

Good luck!
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always had a one plate ruleand didn't use trays that way it forced me to stay within what I could carry.
  • bhannana
    bhannana Posts: 22 Member
    Options

This is definitely a good idea. And I agree that you being mindful of it in the first place is a great first step. I always made a salad (oil and vinegar dressing) and ate that first thing so I wasn't starving when I made my other food choices. My parents used to make me eat salad before dinner growing up and it was a habit that was actually helpful!

Keep your portion proportions in mind too. Try and fill half the plate with veggies or fruits, a quarter of it with carbs, and a quarter of it with protein (if you eat meat). If it's a fried or heavily sauced protein, maybe even less than a quarter of a plate.

Also, be very mindful of not overeating. Pay close attention to when your stomach says that it's full and stop. I think the one plate rule will really help here as most of us just can't normally eat multiple plates of food without feeling stuffed. It will also help that you'll be walking around on campus and running to and from classes - that burns more calories than you'd think! :)

Lastly, make sure you have enough time to eat. I noticed when I was in a hurry I'd just shovel down whatever was easiest. I'd also eat way too much because I was in a rush and didn't give my stomach time to let me know it was full. And a cookie or dessert every couple days is good for the soul! I ate one cookie every meal! yum... cookies...
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Measure, measure, measure. I know it sounds stupid when it's buffet style, but it's the key. You don't necessarily need to measure while you're in line (you might p!ss some people off that way), but bring some measuring cups or a small scale with you and measure once you're at your table. Scoop out what you think is a decent serving and measure once you get back to your table. You get as much food as you want so if you have to throw away (or keep for later :happy: ) an ounce of cereal or pasta, then so be it. That way you can accurately log your food.

Also, just keep away from the desserts. Allow yourself to get dessert once or twice a week but still keep your portion in check. Or, if you know you have the calories left for the day, have a dessert that will fit your numbers.

One trick that helped me was to pack small snacks for throughout the day so I wasn't completely starving once I got to the dining hall. Pack some granola bars, fruit, a sandwich (I like tuna salad or fat free turkey breast) so you can snack between classes or when you have a break. Also, I always kept a water bottle with me at all times so I didn't get dehydrated trucking it across campus to all of my classes. Once it was empty, I'd find a fountain and fill that baby back up.

LOL loved the measuring tip but I'm pretty sure if I brought a food scale or measuring cups to my dining hall table, no matter how inconspicuous I'd try to be, people would still see me and think I was a lunatic. OP, at least half the people in college are probably trying to watch what they're eating... but may be facing the same struggles as you with having dessert at your fingertips just like that! I highly suggest asking a friend who you normally eat dinner with to be a b*tch to you if you grab something bad for you, or to tell you to sit back down if you get up for a second helping when you don't need one. You guys can both help each other, assuming she's also struggling with the whole dessert thing. :)
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Lots of good advice here!

My freshman year I did really well on the one plate rule, I should start making my way back to that now. Then I also did a really good job of sticking to desserts one day a week. Sounds like that is the way to go, since if I try to completely stop eating pie I might go a bit more crazy.

Thanks for the reminders about accountability too! I know one guy on the team is avoiding desserts all together, he is plenty outspoken enough to tell me when to cut it out! And several others are healthy eaters, I just have to persuade them to judge me a bit when I reach for the pizza and burgers! :D