Bored of sandwiches...

Options
I take a sandwich to work every day and I am getting really bored of bread!

Anyone got any suggestions for alternatives?

Replies

• jodi8135
    Options
    use lettuce instead of bread... grilled chicken with tomato and onion in between two pieces of lettuce.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Make extra servings of whatever you have for dinner and bring the leftovers for lunch the next day! That's my favorite thing to do.

Another option is to bring a can of soup and a bowl to heat it up..takes 5 mins in the microwave, and is super filling, just pick the ones that are lower cal and lower sodium.
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to take soup for lunch. I choose the light or low fat, broth varieties. One can does me 2 lunches. (If you're watching your sodium though, this may not be an option for you.) Cheese, yogurt, salad, and fruit salad are my other choices. I also saw a tip this week that sounded good. Take lean, low fat slices of turkey (this ad suggested Jennie-O) and, in place of bread, wrap it around your favorite veggies, like cucumber, dill pickles, peppers, tomatoes, celery, etc. Leftovers from dinner the night before is also a good option.
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    It's still kind of bread, but try a bagel or a pitta bread instead, so many nice fillings you can have in these :smile:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have some issues with lunch meat (Sodium Nitrite - Google it and prove me wrong - PLEASE!!!) So I'm starting to do a lot of chicken salad, shrimp salad, ham salad. Super yummy, and if you use relish or celery or something with a little moisture that you add first, you can get away with VERY little mayo. SUPER yum!! And I'm sure you can add grapes, raisins, almonds, walnuts, mustards, and a thousand other variations ... which I'd *love* to hear about.

Just invest in some of those Pyrex with a lid containers to take to and from every day, and you're set :smile:
  • looby1968
    looby1968 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful with wheat-based stuff, so I tend to make wheat-free pasta salad, rice salad. I add honey roast salmon flakes, cooked prawns or chicken strips (which I cook on my George Foreman and then freeze til I need them!). During the winter, I'm going to be making lots of soup (I have afab recipe for Tomato and Lentil soup, which is low cal and very filling).

If you want to add me as a friend and have a nosy at my lunches, feel free!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bring a wrap
    a salad
    a protien
    some dressing.

For lunch I start with the salad stuff in the wrap, put a tbls of dressing, chicken, a bit more dressing and then wrap it up!!

I get bored with salads.........and honestly I hate eating them fork by fork......silly me. But for some reason that same salad is yumdillyishous on a wrap:tongue:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have some issues with lunch meat (Sodium Nitrite - Google it and prove me wrong - PLEASE!!!) So I'm starting to do a lot of chicken salad, shrimp salad, ham salad. Super yummy, and if you use relish or celery or something with a little moisture that you add first, you can get away with VERY little mayo. SUPER yum!! And I'm sure you can add grapes, raisins, almonds, walnuts, mustards, and a thousand other variations ... which I'd *love* to hear about.

Just invest in some of those Pyrex with a lid containers to take to and from every day, and you're set :smile:

Applegate Farms makes lunch meat with no nitrites, minimally processed. It's delicious. I buy my cheese from them too. It's sold in Publix and organic food stores.

http://www.applegatefarms.com/
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Double post...so adding this:

I take a wrap every day. La Tortilla low carb tortilla, then either turkey, salami or ham with cheese and veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, alfalfa sprouts) with mayo and mustard. I have hot peppers to spice it up, plus grapes or berries for a sweet side.
  • sim247
    sim247 Posts: 354
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I will be going food shopping tomorrow so I will look out for wraps, bagels etc. I can't take soup because I don't have access to a microwave and I have to eat at my desk but these are great ideas for weekends when i am off work!

Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • matari2010
    Options
    :smile: ck out the may 2010 issue of Good Housekeeping. it has a really helpful article listing fast food options for breakfast, lunch & dinner to help you stay on track. its called the "3 4 5 Diet" and lists items to keep you under 1500 calories a day. its great if your always on the go or just need to change it up a little. good luck
  • matari2010
    Options
    :smile: ck out the may 2010 issue of Good Housekeeping. it has a really helpful article listing fast food options for breakfast, lunch & dinner to help you stay on track. its called the "3 4 5 Diet" and lists items to keep you under 1500 calories a day. its great if your always on the go or just need to change it up a little. good luck
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    I like Bagels and Light philidelphia....specifically the sweet chilli variety which is yummy. Also pitta bread, chopped carrot and celery with houmous. I'm not a sandwich person so anything i can chop and put in a box is great , rice salad, pasta salad, 3 bean salad.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    use lettuce instead of bread... grilled chicken with tomato and onion in between two pieces of lettuce.
    I was going to suggest this as well! But pack the lettuce separate from anything else, cause it could have a weird, slimy effect... If you are by a grocery store, you could also pick up packages of sushi on your lunch hour, maybe. I did that when I had a 9-5 job for a while. Soups and salads were popular amongst the people I worked with as well.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If it's got to be something "sandwich-ey" try making wraps or use sandwich thins or english muffins (the low cal high fiber ones!) Those new bagel thins are kinda cool too.
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the COOKING LIGHT cookbooks and magazines. There are tons of great recipes and ideas and a lot of it word work for left overs. Do you have use of a micorwave at lunch? Give it a try, I eat like a queen and I am loosing a lot of weight! We have a subscription to the magazine and I love the FRESH FOOD FAST 15 minute cook books by them as well.
    You are smart to try and make some changes, if you get burned out with what you are eating you will increase your risk of failure.

Molly
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I made this wrap in the spring everyday for a month. It took a very long time to get sick of it (not usually hte case with me) I think it was just what my body needed so, it continued to crave it...

I prep all the ingredients (open cans, slice, drain, rinse) at the beginning of the week so it's a breeze to put together before work in the morning.

One 'flat out' whole grain wrap
    2 tbls. your favorite hummus
    1/4 c. shredded carrots
    1/4 c. sliced hearts of palm
    1/4 c. artichoke hearts (i try not to use ther marinated ones because they have so much oil)
    3/4 c. fresh spinach
    1/2 c. drained canned black beans
    a dash of sirachi (spell) hot sauce.

Wrap it up and go...sooooo good. I might have one for lunch tomorrow
  • choshii
    choshii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Make extra servings of whatever you have for dinner and bring the leftovers for lunch the next day! That's my favorite thing to do.

I do the same whenever I'm pressed for time.

I bought these frozen ravioli from costco and I cook a small batch of them and bring some to work/school along with some veggies/sides. Sometimes I do some cooking in the morning for my lunches because I get sick of sandwiches too; it takes maybe 15-30 minutes to make them in the morning but I love hearing people tell me "man that smells good" when I'm heating it up in the microwave :D.