Healthy Snack Ideas?

Options
Well, I just started watching what I eat lately and I am already getting bored with the snacks I have. I usually have yogurt or a granola bar or a piece of cheese. Any ideas on some healthy snacks so I don't bore myself to death lol? When I am at the grocery store I never know what to look for.... for example, some low fat stuff has way too much sugar or sodium. I just need some new ideas! Also, anyone know of a good breakfast for when I am on the go, besides Slim Fast?

Replies

• Yahme
    Yahme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Besides cheese sticks, my other main snacks are Veggie Chips and Think Thin bars. The think thin bars do not have any sugar grams. As a treat, I take a tablespoon of peanut butter and 1/3 of a bar of 85% dark chocolate and mix together. Hope that helps.:smile:
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    I have Babybel cheese (comes in cheddar, bonbel and other stuff), soy nuts, little nut mix (but watch the calories), turkey jerky.......
    That's usually it :)
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I just discovered that the Quaker caramel rice cakes are good with the Philadelphia Fat Free strawberry cream cheese spread. I cake and 2 TBSP of the cream cheese is 90 calories. Two of them have about the same calories as the granola bars I was eating and about the same nutrition wise. And it just seems like so much more food.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I love SNACKING!!
    I do lotsa bananas, yogurt, string cheese, I make lettuce wraps and take them to work and eat one or two of those as a snack.
    Wasabi peas or sunflower seeds make a good salty snack. If you're not allergic nuts are a great option. Blue diamond makes all sorts of flavors; if you're watching your salt you can usually find unsalted nuts in the bulk section of the grocery store. Cut up veggies are great and if you wanna dip 'em hummus is good or you can buy the packs of dip mix (ranch etc...) and do it with plain fat free yogurt to make it lower in cals. There are so many options!! Get creative! One of the biggest things I've learned is not to rely on pre-packaged foods for something healthy. More oft than not it's WAY worth the extra couple of minutes to make the snack your self.

Good luck to ya!!
    :drinker:
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Thank you all! Those are some great ideas!
  • Purehoney002
    Purehoney002 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same issue. Lately I have switched it up a bit. Try fruit...like an apple and 20 almonds. You get your carbs, protein and fat with low sodium. You can also do a piece of healthy bread (My fave is Dave's Killer Bread) with some peanut butter. There is the South Beach Diet Protein bars that taste really good (Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Cinnamon Raisin). Cottage Cheese and peaches, Soybeans....a good list to choose from plus the things from the other members comments.

In regards to the breakfast....Whole Grain English Muffin with peanut butter, wrap it up in a napkin and eat on the way. Or do what I do most mornings, Go Lean Kashi Cereal with skim milk in a cup and drink (or you can use a spoon).
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried those Laughing Cow cheese wedges? They are usually in the deli section and they have lots of different flavors. The light wedges have 35 calories a piece and the others have 50. I like to spread them on sesame rye flats or a rice cake. One wedge will cover two flats. I love them! Also, those Quaker rice cakes are fabulous! The little ones are so full of flavor, and the big ones are awesome! I also like to spread hummus (again, tons of different flavors) on a rice cake. Two tbsp. of hummus is usually around 50 calories. Spread on a 35-45 calorie rice cake, less than 100 calories!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    In regards to the breakfast....Whole Grain English Muffin with peanut butter, wrap it up in a napkin and eat on the way. Or do what I do most mornings, Go Lean Kashi Cereal with skim milk in a cup and drink (or you can use a spoon).

or Almod Butter!!! YUM!
    I do instant oatmeal and banana alot for breakfast... another great idea one of my co-workers gave me was to make a smoothie the night before (spin up all the fruit etc...) keep it in the blender in the fridge over night and in the AM pull the blender out, add protien powder or peanut/almond butter and ice. Blend pour and go!! I skip the ice in lieu of frozen berries...
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I love Luna bars for breakfast with an apple or banana. Also a great snack is Healthy Choice Fudge bars! They are so good and only 100 calories.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Large seedless grapes. -- green or red. For a variation try them frozen! A large Snyder's sourdough pretzel makes a great low fat, low sugar snack -- but just one.
  • fischercoby
    Options
    cottage cheese and peanut butter (: best ever. or maybe some fruit (grapes and pineapple are both good)...
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving for something crunchy I love to eat puppadums. Tiger Tiger make good ones and they have them at our local Walmart. (though if you have an Indian grocery locally, you can probably find puppadums, puppads or poppadums a lot cheaper)

2 puppadum wafers from Tiger Tiger are 47 Calories, vegetarian and gluten free!!!

I nuke them in the microwave for 2 minutes without any fat. Yummmm Good with Indian food or even soup too.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love SNACKING!!
    I do lotsa bananas, yogurt, string cheese, I make lettuce wraps and take them to work and eat one or two of those as a snack.
    Wasabi peas or sunflower seeds make a good salty snack. If you're not allergic nuts are a great option. Blue diamond makes all sorts of flavors; if you're watching your salt you can usually find unsalted nuts in the bulk section of the grocery store. Cut up veggies are great and if you wanna dip 'em hummus is good or you can buy the packs of dip mix (ranch etc...) and do it with plain fat free yogurt to make it lower in cals. There are so many options!! Get creative! One of the biggest things I've learned is not to rely on pre-packaged foods for something healthy. More oft than not it's WAY worth the extra couple of minutes to make the snack your self.

Good luck to ya!!
    :drinker:

Wasabi Peas are AWESOME! I like chocolate rice cakes with a lil peanut butter ( good protein), and veggies and hummus or low fat dip. This time of yr...I am making candy apples...they are high in sugar, but its ok once in awhile...and I like light popcorn, with seasoning on it.
  • alissaanne
    Options
    Great ideas!! This should give me alot to work with in the next few weeks! I need to hit the grocery store!
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just to add a few more, here are my favorite snacks (these are non-cow's milk products since I'm allergic to proteins in cow's milk):

Celery in spicy hummus (allergic to many vegetables)

Blueberries

A banana

an apple

pears (i love pears)

apple slices with goat cheese on them, yum!

Purely Decadent coconut milk based ice cream. It's not ice cream, it's a vegan dessert found in the soy ice cream section. I love this stuff so much better than soy ice cream. It's creamy and rich, tastes like Hagen Das. The whole container is only 600 calories (150 calories per serving, serves 4).

My snacks are pretty boring, sorry. It sucks being allergic many vegetables and cow's milk (which sodium lactate is in like everything processed).
  • choshii
    choshii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My local costco sells these boxes of individually sized edamame beans that you heat up in the microwave (it comes in it's own steam bag) for 3 minutes, it's 120 calories each (and has a TON of edamame inside), I just sprinkle a bit of salt and done! It's also great cause it makes you eat slower since you have to get the edamame beans out of the pods.

I also enjoy the baby bel cheese (light) along with a handful of grapes.

fruits (when I buy fruits, I immediately wash them, cut them, and put them into individual serving ziplock bags, just for ease)

popcorn (the healthier/non-ultra buttery ones), they're surprisingly low in fat/calories

a tablespoon of hummus and carrot sticks
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My VERY favorite (I'm eating them right now!) is to cut up a yam or sweet potato into french fry size pieces (skin on), toss them in a bit of olive oil and add some spices like cayenne pepper, salt or regular pepper. Sometimes I use only the olive oil.
    I bake them in my toaster oven until they are as crispy as I like, usually 45 minutes. I LOVE them!

I think I could eat them all day.
  • Jessie_81
    Jessie_81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a raisins lover but noticed this in asda a few weeks and decided to try it and now i'm hooked raisins infused in pineapple it also comes in three other flavours cherry, lemon and organge, but I like pineapple.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp;jsessionid=yxHurtTuIxNhm3gUcYAEyw**.oses4007-atg03?trailSize=1&searchString=Nakd+Wildly+Different+Pineapple+Raisins&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=225566
  • BayleeGirl
    Options
    I crave apples & peanut butter after I work out! its delicious! just dont' eat too much peanut butter!
  • txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love honey wheat pretzels... I portion them off in snack baggies according to the bag so I can control myself