A question about Paleo/Ketosis

Options
Hi,

I've switched to a Paleo diet about 2 weeks ago. Its going pretty great. I'm also on track calorie counting to lose about 2 lbs per week. My issue is that I wanna kick by body into ketosis and I thought by following paleo, ketosis would follow. Maybe it has, I'm not sure. I read in a few places that carbs would need to be less than 35g per day. According to my records I'm averaging nearly 100 per day. I tend to eat several servings of fruit almost every day. I sweeten my tea with small amounts of agave. Otherwise I just eat meat and veggies everyday. Am I on track, or am I doing things incorrectly? Any help, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Paleo isn't necessarily low carb. You're going to have to cut way back on the fruit to keep carbs low enough to go into ketosis.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Paleo =/= ketosis. Paleo may eliminate grains but it doesn't default to the extremely low level of carbs required for ketosis unless you are specifically restricting to achieve ketosis. 100g carbs a day won't make you enter ketosis. You can lose weight on that (I eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day) but it's not ketosis.
  • fgreen004
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice! What kind of carb amount should I limit myself to in order to get my body into ketosis and for how long? Should I be giving up fruit for a very long time or just a few weeks? I'm trying to decide if I want to just stick to Paleo w/ calorie counting or if I really want to jump start this keto process.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice! What kind of carb amount should I limit myself to in order to get my body into ketosis and for how long? Should I be giving up fruit for a very long time or just a few weeks? I'm trying to decide if I want to just stick to Paleo w/ calorie counting or if I really want to jump start this keto process.

Curious as to your rationale behind wanting to get in ketosis
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't have any info on ketosis, but just wanted to give you a heads up about the agave. The hype surrounding it is pretty misleading, but it's actually remarkably similar to HFCS both functionally and nutritionally. I don't think it's considered "paleo."

more info: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-agave?

Just something to consider if you are working towards a paleo diet. :)

eta: I'm also not "paleo".... forgot to mention that, ha.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > keto
    > several servings of fruit almost every day

pick one
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Be careful with too much fruit! Even though it's healthy it still contains large amount of sugar!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Paleo is likely a very dramatic shift from how you used to eat; for now I would focus on eating Paleo and counting calories. Once you have the hang of that, then maybe experiment with keto if you want.
  • Acg67
    Options

Unfortunately his cho curve for weight loss is not based in reality but a silly paleo fantasy
  • Phoenyx01
    Phoenyx01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try to shoot for 5% carbs for your daily caloric intake, Consume 1g protein for every pound of lean body mass you have (or your desired lean body mass), and eat lots of Fat enriched foods, but try to get as much of the good fat that you can (ie. polyunsaturated) But also stay within your desired deficit. That should get you there. Also buy some Ketostix so you can test your self periodically to see if you are in ketosis or not.

I would suggest doing a little research on the subject. From what I understsand you will need to Carb out at least one weekly or bi weekly. Hope that helps!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Paleo isn't necessarily low carb. You're going to have to cut way back on the fruit to keep carbs low enough to go into ketosis.

Yup!...also, agave is high in carb (I don't tolerate it well)...if I remember correctly, it was the same as honey :grumble:
    mmmmmmmmm. hunnnnnny. :blushing:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Try to shoot for 5% carbs for your daily caloric intake, Consume 1g protein for every pound of lean body mass you have (or your desired lean body mass), and eat lots of Fat enriched foods, but try to get as much of the good fat that you can (ie. polyunsaturated) But also stay within your desired deficit. That should get you there. Also buy some Ketostix so you can test your self periodically to see if you are in ketosis or not.

I would suggest doing a little research on the subject. From what I understsand you will need to Carb out at least one weekly or bi weekly. Hope that helps!

Yes, this too....I would only add you can find a keto macro calculator here:
    http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

I don't like Mike's Daily Apple...the articles ring a lot of warning bells for me. I don't like to be told how to interpret information. I prefer to form my own opinions & I find the articles too editorial for my taste.

Lots of good info here too:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • fgreen004
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've been away from my computer for a while and just got a chance to read all the help and suggestions.

My reason for going paleo is overall health both to lose weight then maintain a healthy lean weight and (hopefully) clear up some skin conditions that may come from inflammatory foods and processed foods.

The reason I became interested in keto is because I wanted to jump start my weight loss, both for morale and momentum. I wanted to convince my body and mind that I have the direct power to mold it into whatever I want it to look like and not what 6 years of slacking made it look like.

Having a wife, 2 small children and a strict budget has made this past month difficult to follow through, and I have had about 3 or 4 meals where I cheated a bit in the last 4 weeks. The budget (and to a lesser degree having free time to prep all meals) though has been the primary concern.

All in all I'm eating too much fruit, cheating a few times, and killing my grocery budget. However, my mood has improved, I've lost weight, I haven't had a soda or anything besides water and tea in a month and I think I'll be getting better at this diet each new week I maintain it. I'm still on the fence about going paleo and trying keto at the same time.

Thanks again!
  • PaleoOT
    Options
    I'm doing paleo keto right now - one week in - and have loved it so far. Except this morning when I thought I could do 2 tbsp of coconut oil, which was not great for my missing gallbladder - grosssssss. Otherwise, I've had great success. Embrace coconut oil, make your own mayo, eat dark chocolate, love on some pig products, and say goodbye to fruit for a while.

Good luck! :)
  • Acg67
    Options
    I'm doing paleo keto right now - one week in - and have loved it so far. Except this morning when I thought I could do 2 tbsp of coconut oil, which was not great for my missing gallbladder - grosssssss. Otherwise, I've had great success. Embrace coconut oil, make your own mayo, eat dark chocolate, love on some pig products, and say goodbye to fruit for a while.

Good luck! :)

Coconut oil and mayo are not paleo
  • PaleoOT
    Options
    Sure, if you are in the hardcore must-have-been-available-to-Grok camp.

But, non-veg oils are generally accepted by the paleo community at large from what I see/read.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Unfortunately his cho curve for weight loss is not based in reality but a silly paleo fantasy

Yep, and here speaks a man with a Grok t-shirt.
  • jaycbrf4
    Options
    Read the New Atkins book if you want more info on Ketosis. You should not be eating any sugars.... Fruit is way too high in sugar to stay in Ketosis. Try to get 12-15 Net Carbs per day from veggies and keep net carbs around 20 for a few weeks. I was dropping a pound a day for two weeks straight. In induction phase of Atkins.

Net carbs = total carbs - fiber (or sugar alcohols)

I am now up to 40-45 net carbs a day and still losing around a pound a week.

When I don't drink beer or snack!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Please, no, there is so much wrong with that link it's hard to know where to begin.