My Weekly Plateau

Options
I've been tracking calories long enough now to notice some trends, one of which is what I call my "weekly plateau."

(To start with, I'm well aware of daily weight fluctuations, but I still weigh myself every day just because I like to see it fluctuate. ;) )

Basically, it seems like I can be careful with my eating for days at a time, with a strong (though not excessive) calorie deficit, and see no loss whatsoever, or maybe even have a slight gain. Then, after about five to six days of this, I'll have two to three days in a row of dramatic weight loss each day, totaling around two pounds. Then I'll gain about a half-pound back, and "plateau" there for close to another week, at which point the cycle repeats itself.

It's like there's a cumulative effect that just has to reach a tipping point somehow before results actually show.

I don't know if other people have experienced this, or if it's just me, but I've found it encouraging to know about it!

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Completely normal, mostly why they say don't get on the scale everyday.. cause people see this (and not you as you stated) and freak out and either drop calories or panic.. your body will do this, and it can even be multiple week plateau and then a drop it just happens.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. I've been on 224 for about 10 days and was 223 today. I'm not concerned whatsoever, like yourself, but I too weigh myself everyday and its good to see it go up and down. So long as your sticking to your calorie goal this will happen.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Completely normal, mostly why they say don't get on the scale everyday.. cause people see this (and not you as you stated) and freak out and either drop calories or panic.. your body will do this, and it can even be multiple week plateau and then a drop it just happens.

Exactly. Do you think your sodium in your system affects your weight?
  • AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    pretty normal. same thing for me. My weight will fluctuate up/down within a pound or two all week, then suddenly I'll see a 1.5-2 drop on Thursday from the previous Thursday. So I pretty much only record my weight on Thursdays.

Mine seems to be exercise schedule related. As said above, just recognize that's how your body works and be cool with it.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Read something somewhere, that when your fat cells release the fat, they replace it with water short term. So you don't see a change on the scale right away. After a while your cells release the retained water and voilà --> surprise weightloss.

Don't know if this is true, but it would explain your cycles.
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It used to more than it does now since I started drinking so much water. Now sodium has a negligible effect, if any at all.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Yea.......that's not a plateau.

How long would you consider it to be a plateau mate?

Also, and I have to repeat that it doesn't concern me, but how come like OP I can stick to my daily calories and burn 3-400 in the gym and not lose the 2lb for maybe 2 weeks? I ask you as someone who knows more than me.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    It used to more than it does now since I started drinking so much water. Now sodium has a negligible effect, if any at all.

Oh ok. I drink a litre of water a day. I do eat packaged meals from time to time which contain upto 800mg of sodium which must stall weight loss? Maybe lol!?
  • MatthewLewis81
    Options
    Obviously not. I used the word for effect; kind of a tongue-in-cheek way of helping people chill out and not be too concerned with a week of no (visible) loss.
    Oh ok. I drink a litre of water a day. I do eat packaged meals from time to time which contain upto 800mg of sodium which must stall weight loss? Maybe lol!?
    I don't think that's nearly enough water. A liter is roughly four cups, and the minimum daily recommendation is eight cups. I drink around twelve and often more. At that level, I can eat almost any amount of sodium without any noticeable effect.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it's 3 weeks at a time. I guess you sorta get used to it, lol.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Obviously not. I used the word for effect; kind of a tongue-in-cheek way of helping people chill out and not be too concerned with a week of no (visible) loss.
    I don't think that's nearly enough water. A liter is roughly four cups, and the minimum daily recommendation is eight cups. I drink around twelve and often more. At that level, I can eat almost any amount of sodium without any noticeable effect.

A litre is a lot of water though. Will drinking more possibly flush out more sodium?

Also, I can't deal with 'Cups of water' as different cups different sizes etc..I prefer to deal with litres.
  • MatthewLewis81
    Options
    Sorry, I meant a cup as in a unit of measure, e.g., 8oz.

My 12 cups in a day works out to 2.8 liters.

Drinking at least double what you're drinking now should flush out a lot more sodium.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

A litre is a lot of water though. Will drinking more possibly flush out more sodium?

Yes it will flush out more sodium and the retained water.

And a liter isn't much. I drink 2-3 L / day, more if I work out or it is very hot outside.