Need help!

Options
I'm struggling to eat even 1000 calories a day, i don't like nuts or dried fruit and i need some high calorie, low fat ideas. I go to the gym every day so i seriously need to eat more but im struggling (especially on a student budget) =/

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    how about yogurt? You could either top it with fruit or make a smoothie out of it.
  • choshii
    choshii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, for a second, I thought you were trying to restrict yourself to 1000 cal/day.

My boyfriend is trying to gain weight, there are protein/supplement powders you can take that have a ton of calories (they're called "weight gainers"), maybe you can take those (or even take half a serving size) just to up your calorie deficit. As for foods that are high in calories AND low in fat? That's kind of hard to do, and I believe you are asking the wrong crowd (considering we're all trying to go low-cal) ;-)

Good luck?
  • alhend02
    Options
    Brown rice, whole grain breads, and oatmeal. Good calorie sources with minimum fat and are relatively inexpensive.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is all the kinda stuff im already eating, haha im actually eating a yoghurt as we speak. I think i'm just going to have to up my portion sizes. Im trying to lose weight, but i want to lose weight at a moderate pace and get fitter and toned in the process, so i really want to make sure i eat enough calories. I might try some protein drinks after i work out though.
  • conniestar
    conniestar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the brown rice, etc. Also try to include some fruit juices, potatoes, beans, and whole grain pastas. All these are relatively low cost (except maybe the juice).
    Be well.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat potatoes, but once again i don't think i eat enough of them. I've never eaten loads, but i always used to eat the bad types of food, so i was undereating but getting loads of calories... not so good. I don't like fruit juice, but i have been treating myself to 1 hot chocolate each evening. I might have to switch some of my low fat/low calorie foods to the normal versions =/
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely a good idea to eat the regular/full fat versions of any foods you eat, the regular version is usually better for you anyway. They tend to add lots of sugar and salt when they try to reduce the calories/fat. I'd suggest doing that rather than any protein drinks or meal supplements. Real food is always better for you. Also to add calories in your diet you can eat things like nuts, nut butters, adding olive oil to salad, small amounts of cheese...those are pretty easy to eat and add in a few hundred calories right there.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh I just noticed you said "low fat" ideas....but if you're low on calories, why not get them from healthy fats?