Recovery Run?

Options
I just started my 6th half-marathon/1st marathon training and it has a 3-4 mile recovery exercise after my long runs and I'll have to admit I've never been stellar about my recovery days before but since I've become prone to achilles pain I'm trying to be much better about proper stretching, foam rolling, rest/recovery ect.. anything to keep me running!

What is your favorite recovery exercise? Walking, biking, reduced running pace? I'd like to try a reduced running pace but I guess it'll depend on how tight my achilles is feeling may have to do something less impact.

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yoga for me. <3 yoga.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do Spinning. It flushes my legs out and I can choose the resistance depending on how hard/long my run was the day before. I spin M-W-F and run T-TH-Sat.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do Spinning. It flushes my legs out and I can choose the resistance depending on how hard/long my run was the day before. I spin M-W-F and run T-TH-Sat.

Like this idea!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do an easy run. 3.5 miles; nice and slow. I watch the cormorants and the crew teams out on the river. Just started with the recovery runs since June and it's usually my favorite run of the week. It's low pressure and the only run I'm not trying to accomplish anything specific with.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run really slow, usually 1 to 2 minutes slower than my slowest "easy effort" pace.
  • Hudds925
    Hudds925 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I definitely run too fast on my recovery days... I read something about leaving the gps device at home (phone with endomondo in my case) which stops you running slow because you analyse it too much. Doing a half marathon (spartan race infact) so am going to make sure I go nice and slow on those days.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just started my 6th half-marathon/1st marathon training and it has a 3-4 mile recovery exercise after my long runs and I'll have to admit I've never been stellar about my recovery days before but since I've become prone to achilles pain I'm trying to be much better about proper stretching, foam rolling, rest/recovery ect.. anything to keep me running!

What is your favorite recovery exercise? Walking, biking, reduced running pace? I'd like to try a reduced running pace but I guess it'll depend on how tight my achilles is feeling may have to do something less impact.

If you are training for a marathon, you should do short runs to get the junk out of your legs, but a spin bike effort is a close 2nd. But really, you need miles on the legs if you really want to run a marathon efficiently and up to your potential.

If you are just out there north of 10 minutes miles and above 4:30 pace, then it probably doesn't matter as much
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    For me there's nothing more satisfying than doing a good 60-90 minte Hot Yoga class. When I'm done all the muscles that were tight and uncomfortable are stretched and relaxed, my legs feel like jello, I'm good and sweaty, and my mind is at peace. I had always been so frustrated with stretching before as I always felt like I could have been doing more with my time. Introducing the heat aspect made me sweat so my crazy mind was like: "Ah, yes we worked out! and Hey! I feel pretty darn good right now!"
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I run really slow, usually 1 to 2 minutes slower than my slowest "easy effort" pace.

Yep, this works well for me too. Just a nice, slow easy pace. The first mile or two can be a little painful but by the end I usually feel a lot better.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I swim on my off running days. It's no impact, and it allows me to stretch most of my muscles.
  • wowzimmer
    Options
    I would suggest that cross training activities such as swimming and cycling will be just as beneficial if not more so than just reducing your running pace. It is easier said than done but exercising some muscles you are not normally used to can be really helpful.
    I've also just written a blog on recovering after a marathon http://rhedeg.co.uk/training/instant-expert-post-race-recovery/
    I would love to know tip other readers would add!