How much for that Elliptical in the window?

Options
I've been with MFP for just over a month now (down 12lbs, woot woot!), and I'm trying to work exercise into my daily routine. I have a 1yr old that has recently started walking and getting into everything, so I feel like I can't seem to find the time. I was pulling her in a baby trailer behind my bike for a while, but I'd like to be able to fit in a good cardio workout while she is napping. And I've been really interesting in trying the 'Couch to the 5K' program, but in a few weeks or so we'll be seeing snow here in Utah.

So my questions are as follows:

Are there any Elliptical machines that you would recommend? I'm looking to buy one used, either through the classifieds or in a used fitness equipment store.

Are there any arguments for a Treadmill over an Elliptical?

Are there any Utah members on here that can tell me of a good place to buy used fitness equipment?

Thank you!

Replies

• hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Do you have sears in your area? You can put them on lay-a-way. That's how I bought mine.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Do you have sears in your area? You can put them on lay-a-way. That's how I bought mine.

I didn't know that...will have to let Hubby know since he's been asking about what to get me for Christmas :)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've been with MFP for just over a month now (down 12lbs, woot woot!), and I'm trying to work exercise into my daily routine. I have a 1yr old that has recently started walking and getting into everything, so I feel like I can't seem to find the time. I was pulling her in a baby trailer behind my bike for a while, but I'd like to be able to fit in a good cardio workout while she is napping. And I've been really interesting in trying the 'Couch to the 5K' program, but in a few weeks or so we'll be seeing snow here in Utah.

So my questions are as follows:

Are there any Elliptical machines that you would recommend? I'm looking to buy one used, either through the classifieds or in a used fitness equipment store.

Are there any arguments for a Treadmill over an Elliptical?

Are there any Utah members on here that can tell me of a good place to buy used fitness equipment?

Thank you!

Before you buy, I recommend that you try to work out in an elliptical and in a treadmill, to see which one feels better to you. The main goal is to work out with pleasure. Many people, myself included, don't like the elliptical and we do better in the treadmill.
    Good luck with what ever you decide to buy and happy workout. :flowerforyou:
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but I love the versatility of my treadmill. I went with a Nordictrac and immediately ditched the exercise bike I had. Honestly, I've never tried an eliptical, but not a day goes by that I don't appreciate my treadmill and what it's helped me accomplish.
  • Utahbeth
    Options
    Before you buy, I recommend that you try to work out in an elliptical and in a treadmill, to see which one feels better to you. The main goal is to work out with pleasure. Many people, myself included, don't like the elliptical and we do better in the treadmill.
    Good luck with what ever you decide to buy and happy workout. :flowerforyou:

I've used both in the past. At first I found the elliptical awkward because I didn't understand it, but eventually I figured out the rhythm and it became my favorite machine. The reason I have been leaning towards an elliptical is because it feels like you can change your pace rather quickly from running to walking and vice versa, instead of waiting for the treadmill to speed up or speed down. And I'm looking for something relatively quiet. But if there were any major arguments for a treadmill instead, I wanted to consider them.
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    I agree with myprogress2010. Try both. See which fits you best. Personally, I purchased a Precor Elliptical a few years ago, because I could no longer jog/run with a bad lower back. Precors are extremely expensive.. I purchased the one that has no arms (I work my arms with weights), but has auto ramps. It works great for me and I love it. I push myself really hard and have lost 40 lbs and kept it off over past 3 years. (I also cleaned up my diet, by eating clean and healthy). I need to lose 40 more so I am reevaluating my eating and am now back to my heavy duty elliptical workouts.

Mine is in my garage where I keep a old stereo that my IPOD is connected to so I can really zone out and get into my workouts without getting bored.

Both machines work well, but again, you have to chose what is best for you. ....and as others posted... Sears does sell them (Nordic brand) and you might want to check your local area ads to see if someone has one of the machines for sale (that's in good condition).
  • choshii
    choshii Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You CAN run in cold wintery weather (just make sure you're outfitted for it!).

My opinion, I like the elliptical because it's nice on the knees and the body. However, I find it difficult to get a good workout on it. Why? Because you can go at your own pace (you start out hard, then you get tired and slow down a bit). The treadmill goes at a constant pace and I feel like I have to keep up with it.
    Plus, C25K works on the treadmill too (just make sure you're setting the incline at 1%-2%).

As someone has mentioned, try out both at a gym or something, and see which one you like.

*former elliptical owner, now, a treadmill user
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    FYI... all Ellipticals are not made the same. I have worked out on Nordic, Lifecycle and Precor. I find Precors are the best.. but again , extremely pricey. They have a completely different feel and yes you have to push yourself. The Ellipticals with the arm movement slow me down (personally, I like the one with ramp). I also work my arms by weight training which I incorporate with my cardio workouts. If you suffer with any major back or knee problems running/jogging could be too hard on the body. Check with your doctor and choose what is best suited for you.