Help Needed - Lifting for Women

Options
Hiya!

I'm not exactly new to MyFitnessPal, but I wasn't a particularly active member so hoping to change that now.
Basically what I'm wondering about is how to start lifting!

Is it ok to start a strength programme when I havn't lost any weight yet, or should I be focusing on cardio and then move on to weights? Is it ok to focus on strength training but do cardio 2x a week?

How do I go about getting started on weights? I have a gym membership but cannot afford a personal trainer, and don't know any lifters.

What types of strength training should I start with? Bearing in mind I have a knee injury from when I was a dancer.

How often should I be training?

Is there anything I should know about macros before I start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been reading Starting Strength, myself. As I like the in depth form explaination. I would go ahead and add strength training to your routine. I've been doing it for three months now and I love it! Hopefully, someone else could give you better, in depth advice but I certainly reccomend it!
  • crb0077
    Options
    I'm no expert but building muscle increases your metabolism....my trainer swears that lifting is the way forward!
    I went to the gym wanting to get bigger so I'm in a totally different place, but my husband is trying to lose weight and he does a mixture of lifting and cardio! I've been lifting for 7 months now and absolutely love it, and am getting quite strong. I also think that you feel like you've done more of a workout as you will ache and be sore and feel different! Good luck!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I would not wait to start lifting later. I started lifting when I was almost at goal weight and I really wish I had started sooner. NROLFW and Starting Strength are great books to read and there are groups on here. Form is really important and you can watch a lot of videos online - bodybuilding.com, stronglifts, and just try googling various lifts. Squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench press are the basics, I like rows and curls as well. I lift 3x a week and do a bit of cardio in between. Good luck!

ETA Protein. You definitely need protein to try to keep up your muscles. A range of 1g per lb. of lean body mass to 1 gr per lb. of total body weight is generally agreed upon as an adequate amount.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Love lifting. Though I am having trouble losing fat and finding the right calorie goal, I have been lifting for a few months and have still seen a change in my body.

I am doing a modified stronglifts program. After trying several, I found that the simple lifts and 2 day split worked best for me and were easy to commit to.

Good luck!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started lifting right from the beginning! It changes your body, makes you feel AMAZING and it is the only type of workout I have ever been able to stick to because I want to do it.

Look into starting strength, strong lifts, and new rules. Make sure you watch videos on proper form and do not start with weight that you cannot safely lift with good form. 1 rep with good form is more effective than 100 with bad.
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    Start lifting now

look into stronglifts 5x5 and get your *kitten* in the weight room asap
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    you can try this group, it only started last week :-) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/16430-12-week-challenge-start-09-09
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I bought New Rules of Lifting last week and started the training on Sunday. Ive done 3 workouts so far and am enjoying it. Im also doing 2-3 insanity workouts on non-NROLFW days to add some cardio.

Good luck:)
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting For Women. Book costs about $15 and is just awesome. I'm a newbie, five workouts in, and LOVE IT. Just do this!!!
  • gale1089
    Options
    Weights are my favorite!!
    When I started, I didn't have a gym membership or clue of how to start (and was super burnt out on hours of cardio with no results). I began searching Youtube and came across an awesome account/website called Fitness Blender. Look into it! I still follow their workouts and wake up sore all the time.. but it feels great and it's a form of exercise I actually enjoy. I still try to fit in cardio at least 2x a week though (in the form of HIIT) which they also have great full length videos on. They also give you a range of calorie burned during the workouts, which is nice as well. I'm not some paid promo haha, I just really like their style and have learned so many moves and gotten some great results. (Search for their upper body workout, and likewise lower body workout) I do a mix of those at least 3x a week. Research is a great way to expand your knowledge as well. Hope this helps!
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    Bumping for later! Thanks ladies
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems, too. Just find modified positions for the ones that hurt your knees. I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. LOVES it. I'm doing it all at home. If you do your research and be sure you're using good form, a trainer isn't necessary. Start wherever you can and work up from there.

As the others have said, start lifting right away and eat plenty to feed your muscles. That's important. Two groups I like: Eat More to Weigh Less and New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of good information in both of them.

The best way (in my opinion) to incorporate cardio is to do high intensity intervals (HIIT) after your weight workout. Take the next day to rest everything. Good luck!
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!
  • SarahJane0691
    SarahJane0691 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the help everyone!

Will definitely be starting a lifting programme as soon as I have done my research into form etc.

And thanks for all the reading and group recommendations, you guys are so helpful.

I'm excited :)
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women is great. Simply shredded do a great training plan for women too, it's defiantly worth a look. I wish I had started weights earlier in my weight loss plan, the effects from lifting far outweight that from c.v training!
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    New rules of lifting for women is great. Simply shredded do a great training plan for women too, it's defiantly worth a look. I wish I had started weights earlier in my weight loss plan, the effects from lifting far outweight that from c.v training!
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    To start NROLFW do i need to join a gym or what would i need to have at home? :)