Second 100K+ ride

I started biking two months ago while nursing a peroneal injury from running. Yesterday I completed a 111K round-trip from Barrie to Penetanguishene, 98 per cent of it on the Trans-Canada Trail

The good: I survived and burned 6,083 calories during 6:05 hours of actual cycling

The bad: Getting lost -- twice

The ugly: A 40k/hr headwind next to a freshly manured field

The funny: Doing the clipped-in slow-motion fall in front of an 85-year-old Rotarian sweeping out a pavilion in Elmvale, eliciting a "Jesus Christ! Are you okay?!?"

The surreal: Stopped on the side of the road surrounded by miles and miles of farm fields in each direction when an elderly German couple stopped to ask me if I knew where the farm "with the onions" was.

The ridiculous: Completing my daily entry on My Fitness Pal:

"If every day were like today... You'd weigh 129.1 lbs in 5 weeks"

No, if every day were like today... I'd be dead in 5 days.

IMG_7402_zps675878a4.jpg

66991_10153244984050174_1596017546_n.jpg

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Congrats on a solid ride.

I can relate to the slow motion fall. A couple of years ago when I had just switched over to clipless pedals I dropped my water bottle, stopped to pick it up and forgot to unclip resulting in an injury to my dignity as I was involved in a large group ride at the time.

Isn't Penetanguishene where they have the hospital for the criminally insane? :happy:
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Wow! You are BEYOND amazing. Congratulations and LOVED your post!
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Amazing achievement- if you ever come down towards Kitchener Waterloo let me know so that I can stand by the road and cheer you on!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Great riding!
  • Axe34
    Axe34 Posts: 37 Member
    Isn't Penetanguishene where they have the hospital for the criminally insane? :happy:

LOL. My wife said not to ride too close to it because if they figured out I came all the way from Barrie they might not have let me leave.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

LOL. My wife said not to ride too close to it because if they figured out I came all the way from Barrie they might not have let me leave.

A little OT....is that your Gold Top?
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Love this.
    My goal is to ride 32 miles in the early spring for my 32nd birthday.
    I did my first ride in years a couple weeks ago and it was 7 miles.
    Ive got a ways to go!