Target Heart Rate

Options
I’m confused on the purpose of monitoring your heart rate when exercising. I was just reading a post on walking. I run in the colder weather and walk in the warmer weather because my hair gets way too unmanageable in the summer heat. Anyway, someone posted a comment saying walking is fine as long as your heart rate reaches XXX (some number I can’t recall). I have a heart rate monitor I use when I run but I only use it to keep track of my calories burned because I was told it's more accurate then my Fitbit. I use my Fitbit (pedometer for those who don’t know) when I walk. I do maintain my target heart rate when using my heart rate monitor but I really don’t know the purpose I just know I should. On that same post someone else said you burn the same amount of calories walking or running the same distance. I don’t know I’m just confused because if I reach my target heart rate or not I’m still burning calories and eating less and moving more has been working for me but I still would like to know.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about target heart rates and all the hype about being "in the zone". The only reason I use my HRM when running is because I try to keep my heart rate down and know to slow down or walk a bit when it's getting too high.

You're right, you're burning calories regardless of where your heart rate is so just carry on doing what you're doing and forget the broscience on heart rates.
  • Tyree985
    Tyree985 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I'm going to keep doing what's working and leave the rest for the hardcore fitness folks.
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM. I like it for calories burned but I also use it to see how high my heart rate goes and how quickly it comes back down. That is the real determination on how fit you are. How quickly you recover. I just like it to see how hard I am working.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    On that same post someone else said you burn the same amount of calories walking or running the same distance.

You burn more calories running a mile than walking a mile, you don't burn the same amount.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It can be used to monitor your effort levels. Just to make sure you are really putting forth the effort you think you are.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Target-Heart-Rates_UCM_434341_Article.jsp
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I find it to be a great tool to monitor the effort you're expending while exercising. I'm on a running plan currently that requires mixing slow, easy runs, with tempo, and threshold runs. The heart rate monitor has been invaluable for this.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Heart rate training is a great tool for people training to race but if you are just out for a casual jog/walk for health it shouldn't be that big of deal. Here is a good link for an article about walking vs. running cals.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Heart rate training is a great tool for people training to race but if you are just out for a casual jog/walk for health it shouldn't be that big of deal. Here is a good link for an article about walking vs. running cals.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

Great article. Thanks for posting.