i can't get past the first couple of days...need motivation!

Options
hello,
i am brand new to myfitnesspal and have never used these types of resources for support. i always turn to my friends and family, but they are not in the same situation as me, so it's hard for them to relate to my struggles. i'm hoping some of you can help me out there.
here is my biggest challenge: i start my weight loss journey: i am motivated and do well for 2-4 days (max) then i hit what feels like a brick wall! who am i kidding? eating healthy and exercising is EXHAUSTING! am i the only person who feels this way? the planning, the motivation, the cooking, the preparing, etc. is just so much to manage all at once. i cave in after a few days when i need convinience, or when i'm just down right exhausted and could not be bothered to look a treadmill or a cooking pan. i start feeling bad, and the awful eating habits kick in.

how do you get past those brick walls? i can't rely on my weight loss or decrease in inches because my successes are always short lived. i have a hard time grasping that this journey should be ongoing and continue after i've reached my goal.

i know i'm preaching to the choir when i say this, but THIS IS SO HARD!! can anybody offer any help or advice to get through the rough patches to come?

i'm ready to do this, but can't seem to get past the first couple of days! help!

Replies

• Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    hello,
    i am brand new to myfitnesspal and have never used these types of resources for support. i always turn to my friends and family, but they are not in the same situation as me, so it's hard for them to relate to my struggles. i'm hoping some of you can help me out there.
    here is my biggest challenge: i start my weight loss journey: i am motivated and do well for 2-4 days (max) then i hit what feels like a brick wall! who am i kidding? eating healthy and exercising is EXHAUSTING! am i the only person who feels this way? the planning, the motivation, the cooking, the preparing, etc. is just so much to manage all at once. i cave in after a few days when i need convinience, or when i'm just down right exhausted and could not be bothered to look a treadmill or a cooking pan. i start feeling bad, and the awful eating habits kick in.

how do you get past those brick walls? i can't rely on my weight loss or decrease in inches because my successes are always short lived. i have a hard time grasping that this journey should be ongoing and continue after i've reached my goal.

i know i'm preaching to the choir when i say this, but THIS IS SO HARD!! can anybody offer any help or advice to get through the rough patches to come?

i'm ready to do this, but can't seem to get past the first couple of days! help!

If I were you I would start SLOW. Change one habit at a time, give it a week or so on one habit then move to the next one it might overwhelm you a little less
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Well, first of all, you are definitely NOT the only person who feels this way. It is extremely difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle in an affluent society where there's cheap, crappy-but-delicious-tasting food stocked in just about every venue you can imagine. Compound the fact that humans are evolutionarily designed to gain weight and prevent starvation AND often use our sense of taste (sweetness, fat, salt) to indicate whether or not a food is 'good,' and you've got a recipe for disaster. There isn't really a magic solution to getting past the fact that this indeed is an extremely difficult task. It's going against thousands of years of evolution and everything the media/ our society values.

First off, know that you will not eat/exercise perfectly every single day. That's simply not sustainable. What you can do though, is do your best every day, but allow yourself to have treats and rest days here and there, and savor them when you do. Savor that piece of cake once or twice a week, savor a bit of dark chocolate every day, savor whatever it is - just try not to overdo it. We all have days where we mess up. Just last night I ate a bunch of pizza with my friend at midnight because we'd both had stressful weeks and he decided to get some food... But I'm back on the horse today. I work out almost every day but not because I just want to lose weight or whatever... being fit is such a cool thing. I can play sports so much better, I have goals set for myself for running 5Ks and 10Ks, and I DO lose weight anyway. I'm lucky - I'm in college and I walk all the time, have intramural games and greek week games to play, I play music/drum all the time, and I have a beautiful campus to run around and a rec. center for those extra cold days.

Eating well and staying active aren't just about weight loss though, and I think that's what really got me to change how I live. It's about how you feel. You sleep enough, eat right, exercise... you feel like you're on top of the world. It's difficult to see the results that are far away, but they are there and you must remind yourself of why you want to lose weight or become healthy. You need to want it, to want to live a certain way, not just diet or something. There are plenty of ways to strategize and make healthy eating convenient, but again, living a healthy life isn't always the most convenient thing. Take time out for your body, your temple - it is the most important thing because you've only got one - treat yourself right!!!

I hope that helps... feel free to friend me if you would like. :)
  • akabob
    akabob Posts: 9
    Options
    A lot of what this comes down to is learning how to use coping skills to work past the thoughts that hold you back. That plus starting slow and considering weight loss and a healthy diet/fitness as a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a temporary thing, will help you ease into a new life of being healthy. If you're not a fitness person, I highly recommend you look into finding things to do that are physically active yet fun...I hate workouts but I love riding my bike around town. I often ride for an hour round trip down to my local bar and indulge in a light beer or two after a really healthy day of eating. Sometimes I like to just go for a long walk on a trail. I also try to do things like hit the roller skating rink or go on an adventure that allows some walking. I DO use the gym, too, but most of my activity is fun stuff that I like to do that HAPPENS to be good for me. Even walking through a museum (I put it down as a slow 2.0 mph walk). Foodwise, EAT HEALTHY. Period. I eat ten times more now than I did when I was binging on junky crap, and I've found a ton of healthy food that tastes amazing. I even got a Magic Bullet blender to make myself Spirutein Protein Plus shakes with soy milk because holy crap they're SO GOOD. But it does come down to willpower. My boyfriend is skinny as a rail and loves eating fries and the other night he asked if I wanted to get some and I literally said "no, I can't do that because I am working hard to change my health and fitness". Saying it out loud made me feel convicted and strong. And I didn't break down and eat fries! I actually had some cooked kale. :) I wish you the best and want you to know you CAN DO THIS. If a compulsive overeater like me can, YOU CAN. You just have to want it and make the shift at your own comfort level. :)
  • Elbita
    Elbita Posts: 13
    Options
    you know i think we all hit the brick wall, i know i hit it a lot. i have learned that i can't let myself give up just because i had a "bad" day/week. the important thing is ti say "ok, i know i messed up today/this week", but i'm gonna get back to it today". it has help me a lot having myfitnesspal, to see how much "damage" i did eating something to motivate me to get off my but and burn it off. like this morning, my husband brought sonic for breakfast and i ate half of my recomended calories with just breakfast, ekkk. so, that gave me the umpf i needed to get off my butt today.

also, it helps when you give yourself different options of activities/exercises to do, not the same thing every day. figure out what works for you. i know that i get bored and/or distracted easily (i suspect i have add), so i try to do things that keep me my interest, that are fun and i have different choices depending on my mood. i have zumba, turbo jam, core rythms, bellydancing and lots of other videos at home. i also have my recumbent bike facing the tv and got a tray so i can also use my laptop while i'm pedaling away.

the thing that has help me the most now is zumba classes at the gym. i really love zumba and is lots of fun. today, i burned 666 calories during an hour class. it was the best pain ever and it was soooo much fun. the group fitness atmosphere, the collective energy is amazing! if i can't make it to zumba or make it to the gym (or feel like going to the gym), i do one of my videos or the recumbent bike. oh, also having a heart rate monitor that tells me how many calories i'm burning has helped a lot in motivating me.

well, i hope i didn't ramble on too much and that this helps some. remember, we all go through it, don't be discouraged!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    We all have those battles. The best part of this site is that we all want the same thing so we know the struggles that we all have. You can do this! It's almost like a game to me- the finding the right foods with the right calories to stay under my goal. I haven't really been excersising yet- Just watching my food intake... I'm down 10 pounds!! I DO record EVERYTHING I eat- good or not... sometimes I go over, sometimes by a lot, mostly I'm under. Check out my blog. You can see the struggles that I am having...
  • jenn1ferb
    Options
    Here is what I did / do :
    Start small. Just be mindful of the calories of what you are eating & drinking. I use this tool to plan a meal even if I have to cruise through the drive thru. If it is McDonalds instead of a big mac, i get a big mac wrap which is signficantly lower in calories but just as satisfying as the regular sandwich. (sandwich - 540 calories, wrap - 330 calories)
    The main thing is to stick to the number of calories you are allowed to have per day - dont stress about exercising every day. Just tell yourself you will start with 2 or 3 times a week 30 minutes each. You can still lose the weight if you dont exercise as long as you stick to the calorie allowance. I have not been exercising as much as I should (only 1-2 times a week) but I am still losing because I am sticking to my daily allowance. Most days I find I have not even used all of my allowance.
    I try to mentally hoard the calories but yet still eat what I want to -Just not as much. If it is a dinner I will eat half & take the rest home & look forward to eating it another day (I think of the meal as more of a treat than a way of dieting - tell yourself "this is so good I'm saving the other half for tomorrow & I cant wait!")
    Now that I am starting to see results, I seem to feel more motivated to get out & do a brisk walk (even a short one)...
    I tell myself "if you get out there and do it you will burn more calories & see better results in even less time than it has taken me to get this far"
    If I don't get out there - I dont feel guilty because I know I am still sticking to logging my meals & sticking to the daily calorie allowance ... For me, easing into it & seeing the results becomes more motivating...mainly because I love to eat!!!...and I also love to relax over exercising when i get the time... :)

I guess what I am trying to say is it is all about tricking the mind more than tricking the belly.
    I'm not sure if this made sense to you or not or if it will help you but I know where you are coming from!!
    This is the longest I have ever stuck with it !! It's been about 20 days or so ... and I am no longer hanging over my pants :)
  • larryiraorange
    Options
    For me it is all about substitutions. We do not do any more prep for meals at home than before, we have just made a shift in the things we buy when shopping (shopping does take longer though). We also eat out alot for convenience and I have been surpised to find that most of our usual stops have pretty decent choices on the menus. This is not the case with them all, there are a few places that I just refuse to go into anymore...but only a few. Exericise is the real kicker for me. I'll do real good for a week or so and then slack off for a bit . I have to really push myself to be consistant.

In any case hang with it and good luck!!!
  • juicydee
    juicydee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    does anyone have any suggestions about how the cooking and planning can be less exhausting? short cuts or some sample days?
  • Elbita
    Elbita Posts: 13
    Options
    i just discovered the green giant veggies blends, like the "antioxidant blend" that are good for you and very tasty. they're in the frozen vegetable section at the store and are ready in less than 5mins on the microwave. the serving size, which is half the package is only 50 calories. also, costco has grilled nuggets, called "naked nuggets" and they are very tasty and only 110 calories for 1 serving (7 nuggets) and ready very quick.

hope this gives you a little help
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Change one thing at once. I started by watching my calories ONLY! Exercise was the last thing on my mind. Then, I got more energy, once I wasn't stuffing myself til I popped. THEN I did portion control and watching the foods I ate to lower calories. After that, I had even more energy, enough to exercise. You don't have to follow any special diets, just know the dos and don'ts for calories, etc, so you don't go over. It's WAY too overwhelming to do everything at once, so slide into it easily and don't be hard on yourself. That's what I did. If I wasn't ready for something to happen and I pushed myself, I started to falter, so I backed off. Good luck!!!
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In the month of September I lost roughly 12 lbs with the help of MFP. Prior to that I lost roughly 30 lbs since the beginning of April. I was working out heavily until the second week of September but since have only had the time for some regular cardio. Since starting to use MFP I discovered many tactics which I am now using in my diet. I hope some of these might help others. So far my total weight has gone from roughly 226 pounds to 184 pounds. My body fat has dropped from around 33% to 21.2 %. I progress is still happening.

1. I always carry packets of Crystal Light with me. I often have a water bottle with me as well. This way I am prepared if I find myself in some place with a water fountain. If I am in a restaurant I can order ice water as my drink and simply flavor it. Most restaurants charge a ridiculous price for a soda type of drink and then provide free refills. Your typical glass of cola is going to be around 160 calories and I almost always had two or three. Singles packets of Crystal light lemonade are 10 calories each.

2. For restaurants I try to stick to places where I know they have things on the menu I can eat. Many restaurants for example will provide a rotisserie chicken option. A quarter of chicken with while meat has only around 220 calories if you peel the skin off of it.

3. I stopped eating french fries. I now tend to either make or order mashed potatoes instead. Often this means that I eat some 100 calories worth of potatoes instead of nearly 500 calories in french fries (because they were cooked in a fryer). When I do this I usually will allow myself to enjoy a little gravy on my mashed potatoes. The 30-60 calories for the gravy is a small price to pay. As a result of these options I can easily eat in many restaurants using some 500 calories.

4. I eat lots of easy to prepare, but healthy side dishes. These are dishes which don't even need to be cooked. So I will often combine nice lean steak, chicken, or pork with side dishes of a tomato chopped into wedges or a whole cucumber sliced up.

5. I regularly snack on things like cucumber and tomato... even if I am only moderately hungry. Plug them in to see the calories versus the nutrients within. You can overload on these sorts of things and it isn't a problem.

6. I've added baked sweet potatoes to the menu. They taste amazing, have so few calories, and are great for nutrition.

7. Zero Fat Yogurt is a great snack. Add a half cup of granola to a cup of the yogurt and you get a great breakfast. Its so low calorie and nutritious that I have a banana as well.

8. I realized how many calories I was wasting on bread in sandwiches. I would often have a couple of sandwiches for lunch. The contents were always healthy but I was screwing up and didn't realize it. The typical piece of bread has around 100-110 calories in it. For two sandwiches that's over 400 calories not including the contents of the sandwich. I now buy Weight Watchers or Dempster's Calorie Wise Bread. Its 50 calories per slice. Instead of two sandwiches I'll have one sandwich and stuff more in it. I can buy a whole package of Corned Beef (90 Calories) use all of it, combine it wilh 2 or 3 slices of Fat Free Kraft Singles (30 calories each), use some mustard (30-45 calories) and microwave it for a really tasty sandwich at less than 325 calories. Combine that with some sliced tomato on the side for another 25 calories. Its tasty, low calorie, nutritious.

9. I look for fat free or low fat versions of things. Yogurt, Cheese, Milk, etc.

10. I eat apples, oranges, and bananas alot. I almost always have something in my mouth. If I'm looking for something a little sweeter I can even take an apple, slice it up into wedges, and carmelize it in the oven with a little bit of
    cinnamon.

11. My diet is really based upon eat things that are easy and quick to make. There is nothing that I eat which I cannot cook quickly, or clean up fast when I am done. To lose 1 lb per week MFP gives me 1740 calories as my target. I easily make this target, despite eating far more food than I ever did.
  • myrbg
    myrbg Posts: 93
    Options
    i've always been the one to rush through things! slowly seems to be the key word here, thanks!
  • rad02878
    Options
    Just take your time. The most important thing you can do for yourself with this site and/or the smart phone applications is JOURNAL! If you eat it, write it. If you exercise, write it. Don't obsess over an oops day, just move on from it.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I always did the same as you... good for a few days, they blah. Granted now, this is only my 4th week on this site...but I've kept with it, surprisingly! I log everything, no matter how crappy it was. Logging my food really helps me b/c I've realized how much over I would go before on calories. It was a real eye opener.

With exercise, if I take more than a day off, it's really...really hard to get back into it (this has always been an issue). So, I take a day off, then get right back into it. I can actually see results too. I haven't lost that much weight, but my clothes are fitting a little better & my body is toning up.

If I know I'm going to a restaurant beforehand, I try to look up different options that I know I'd get to see how many calories there are. I have been going out to eat a lot less, mainly b/c my husband is so busy & we don't have a lot of time to do that right now...but when we do, I try to make the smart choices. As for regular meals at home, I just try to use common sense.

Water is definitely a key part (for me anyways)... the more, the better!

Everyone is great on this site - very motivating! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Good luck!!! :)
  • Ubiguchi
    Options
    In the past I've managed to lose >10 lbs in a week a number of times, but it always comes back with a vengeance and taking things slowly is definitely the way to go.

The advantage of a site like MFP is it allows you to slowly appraise your eating/fitness habits and address problem areas gradually. Since eating is habitual and it take weeks to create or change a habit, you should allow your mind and your body time to change your eating habits. By the time your habits have changed sufficiently you'll have re-programmed your eating/fitness habits to keep yourself at a comfortable, sustainable weight, so don't beat yourself up

In the 3 weeks since I joined I've already managed to pinpoint 3 fairly easy targets in my own eating habits, and as I work to address them I'm finding my weight gradually reducing at a very sustainable level:

* Soft drinks - Loadsa calories and chemicals. I'm replacing them with good 'ole H2O.

* Alcohol - Although I do like socialising, I'd never realised how much I drank at home. It's now green tea and more H2O when I'm at home, saving my liver for those nights on the town.

* Sugary snacks - I never realised how often I allowed myself to eat "ocassional" chocolate bars/cakes (3-4 / week). Fruit makes an excellent substitute.

Good luck with keeping the motivation, and if you find yourself feeling low then post in the forum (or add some friends) as getting support from others in the same situation is a real boon.
  • mitts1970
    Options
    Hi - you are NOT the only one who feels this way. I have exactly the same problems!!! I just joined today and am not good at staying motivated, but maybe we can help each other? I will "friend" you - accept if you'd like and we'll take it one day at a time :)
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'd slow down if I were you - pick a really reasonable amount of time to exercise, doing something you actually like (doesn't have to be the gym, swimming, biking, or just cleaning the house all are on here). And what really helps me is planning my next day ahead of time - make all the food choices the night before so you don't have to use your brain at all when you're hungry. Keep at it like a little ant and you'll get there faster than you think! I've learned weeks pass whether I made any progress or not, so even slow progress is excellent. :)