binging

Options
My biggest problem is binging. I don't know why I do it so I don't know how to stop. I will do really well for a few days and then go crazy. I weighed myself this morning and was pretty happy with the scale and then 2 hours later my husand left for work and I practically ran to the kitchen. Any advice on how to push through something like this would be great.

Replies

• kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my self occupied with something else. Sometimes that means scrubbing the bathroom or kitchen floor. Get lost in a good book. I did that a bunch this week. Ive been running as soon as I get home so I eat a late dinner and don't have time to snack.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Figuring out why you're binging is probably the most important step to combating it (in my opinion). It could be something as simple as cutting your calories too low or cutting out important food groups. Or you could be an emotional eater trying to comfort something. Take an honest look at your diary and make sure your diet is well balanced. And try to be mindful while you're eating to see what you're feeling. Are you honestly hungry? Are you nervous, anxious, or bored?

I've recently been introduced to the HALT acronym. Don't let yourself get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. These are when we're most likely to overeat.
  • mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The way it works is like I'll have a thought about something... chocolate, soda, pizza, whatever. Then it's ALL I can think about. I don't have those things in my house so I binge on what I do have. I guess it's like I'm trying to get so full that I stop wanting those things. That's a theory anyway.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    love that tattoo
    who cares about binging,
    when you have that?
  • abtsdiet
    abtsdiet Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wanted to binge today. Instead I had a healthy,tasty, filling lunch. After lunch...I was no longer hungry. And I enjoyed my lunch so I was satisfied. The desire to binge faded away.

Good luck to you.
  • ehorn625
    Options
    I also have the urge to binge on occasion. I try to keep healthy alternatives so even if I go over my calories, it is something
    I can live with. You really have to become disciplined. Not so easy, I know but once you start to lose some significant weight
    you may be less likely to binge. At least that is what happened to me.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I get that way at times. The last few days have been harder than most. Part of it is that I just quit smoking cloves, and the other part is TOM. Knowing the reason behind it helps :)
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Options
    I have a serious issue with binge eating so I totally understand. I'm seeking counseling for it. But today was better. I just brought a whole bunch of little things to eat so whenever I felt the urge I had something healthly to snack on. Binging is no fun.
  • Cheechos
    Options
    Do you have any foods that make you feel like eating more after you've consumed them? Do you feel like eating when you see people on the TV eat? Do you feel like binging around certain times of the day or during certain activities? Pay attention to the cues and triggers in your life and weed them out. Be mindful of what you're eating and why all the time.
  • AsianSuperfly
    AsianSuperfly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Here's a few vid's I stumbled on youtube that might help address some of your issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6rvWgW_waM

Here's another on what might be a psy component to a degree just a view of punishment and reward you might want to think about go to 6:20 of the video below. Something to think about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7P5fE-ZBn0

I think dieting can be tough and even more so for people with little or no regard to proper planning. I hope this might help.
  • mitzi2013
    mitzi2013 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do you have any foods that make you feel like eating more after you've consumed them? Do you feel like eating when you see people on the TV eat? Do you feel like binging around certain times of the day or during certain activities? Pay attention to the cues and triggers in your life and weed them out. Be mindful of what you're eating and why all the time.

I think I crave potatoes and chocolate more than anything. Also, I go all morning and afternoon just fine. I find I start eating worse around 4pm. It's all downhill from there.
  • the_dude00
    the_dude00 Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    This might help, but I eat some form of garbage food everyday but not that much. If you eat 4 or 5 meals that are healthy and one that's not good (but reasonable quantity) you'll be okay.
  • mikalamarie
    mikalamarie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As soon as I saw this topic I knew where I needed to ask for support. I will do well for weeks then I go off the wagon.....and its down hill from there. I totally know I binge for emotional reasons......I have for 20 years......I get so tired of fighting it. Had a great night at work yet on way home I stop at mini mart and load up on chocolate.......then I am upset with myself in the morning.:grumble:
  • Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog.
    Make sure you eat a good, filling breakfast.
    And make sure you're eating enough throughout the day. Maybe adding a couple or few hundred calories to your daily intake will prevent you from bingeing in the long run. It may make the progress a tad bit slower, but it's a lot better for it to be 'slow and steady' than to lose quickly then gain it back from bingeing then lose again then binge and the cycle continues...

I've been in the binge-lose cycle before and I'm kinda going through it again. Hopefully I can take my own advice! Good luck. :)
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    For me it is feeling like I am on a diet. If I say 'this is how I eat, I can have what I want as long as it taste good and I am hungry'. Kknowing I can eat that potatoe, chip, ice cream, whatever it is, later when I am hungry again takes away the need to binge. It is when I tell myself 'oh just eat it all now, later you will be good' that I have binges that last days! Plus if I think I want to eat like crazy I make myself sit at the kitchen table. A book that really helped me stop 35 years of bingeing was 'have your cake and skinny jeans too'.
  • mikalamarie
    Options
    Thanks for your support......yes....tired of the lose/gain cycle
  • mikalamarie
    Options
    Thanks....I will check into that book:smile:
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I use to binge. Felt gross afterwards, guilty, etc., This sounds a little crazy, but something actress Mary Lou Henner said once something to this effect: Eating all that crap just isn't worth it. You eat it, feel guilty, physically feel sick and have to deal with it for a day or more and you derail all the healthy things you are trying to do...You have to be serious with yourself and ask yourself 'is it worth it?' If I do 'x' then I get 'y'...that is just life.

I had to 'talk' to my emotional state and change into rational/concrete thinking.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Tips for combatting binging I can say worked well for me:

Giving myself a non-food reward for not starting the binge e.g. A book or song
    Journalling. Writing down everything I feel at the strongest moment of binge, how I feel, where am I, temperature, what am I wearing, what was i doing, am I actually thirsty? Am I feeling stressed at all? I use the journal to work through problems if i don't have someone else to sound them out to.
    I ensure I plan all my food every day so I have a perfect balance of fats, protein and carbs so my body is nourished.

If you crave something sweet you probably need calcium from dairy or leafy veggies
    If you crave savoury you'll be needing iron and vitamin D in beet root, oily fish and eggs

Also concentrate really hard on how crap you feel after a binge and anchor that feeling by pinching your little finger.
    Repeat three times.
    Next time a binge is coming pinch your finger and you will reminded of how crap you will feel which should feel more painful than the desire for your "fix".

Another technique is to have a little of what you like in the house. So have that chocolate. But only have a couple of chunks and eat it reallllllllly slowly and not in front of the tv. Take a really long time to chew or suck each morsel and much less should satisfy you!

Try it - what do you have to lose?
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean. Do well a few days, then out of NOWHERE the binge feeling hops out then ALL you can think of is the binge food. I am still "relapsing", less frequently though, and I find some of the below helps:

- read the book "brain over binge"
    - drink lots of water during the day
    - KEEP MYSELF BUSY. I'm a big emotional / boredom eater. Once I'm in front of the tv / laptop my hands just wanna grab something crunchy and stuff my face
    - instead of eating, drink hot flavored sugarless tea
    - ask myself if I want to binge on whole hard boiled eggs. If I do, I'm probably hungry and should eat an egg or two. If not, it's not physical hunger that I'm feeding with my binge, it's something emotional
    - get on MFP and talk to us :D