Achieving goals, from flab to fit! (Pics)

Options
The left picture was taken in 2011 on a family vacation after years of drinking as much as I want, eating whatever I wanted and not realizing what was happening to my body. I went all through my life until I was 21 basically not having to worry about a single thing I put into my mouth, around October of 2012 I finally got serious after trying to lose weight and failing. I got a personal trainer, I started eating right, counting calories, decreasing the alcohol, increasing the gym and now the picture on the right is what my body looks like these days.

m92k35.jpg

I still allow myself some alcohol, I don't eat super clean, I basically just count calories, as long as I am within my limit, I'm okay with that. I give myself some cheat meals, I don't go crazy about what I am or aren't eating but I will say the thing that really changed for me was weight lifting. It completely changed how my body looks, started toning up and sculpting parts of me what I didn't even realize I had! I highly suggest weight lifting to anyone, women, men, it doesn't matter, quit killing yourself on the treadmill day after day and pick up some dumbbells and kettlebells!

Replies

• SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • ddunk
    ddunk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good job you look great
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I love your last sentence - I have tried everything without a lot of success and weight training is next on my list - any beginner suggestions or programs?
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    OH Yes...you are definitely fit...Love your results...You look amazing
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I love your last sentence - I have tried everything without a lot of success and weight training is next on my list - any beginner suggestions or programs?

Kettlebells are great for beginners who may be scared to go into the weight room with all the 'big boys.' At my gym, the kettlebells are kind of tucked away in a corner all on their own, so you can use them without feeling like everyone is staring at you and thinking you look like a fool. I'd just start with the basics, some KB swings, using dumbbells, bench presses, curls, hammer curls, military press, start out with a weight that works for you. I normally do 3 sets of 10 reps, once I start feeling like I can add more reps on, I will up the weight.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I also started heavy lifting, deadlifts, squats, RDL's, shrugs with the bar. But I would suggest really knowing what you are doing form wise and having someone who can watch you that also knows what they are doing before you jump into it. Proper form when you are lifting heavy is so important.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You look great, I wish more women would think like you and hit the weights!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wow...you look great! wonderful job...congrats :)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You look great!!!
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    *whistles*

You look amazing!
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Ha! Thanks!! :)
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You look great - well done x
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • rajivroy
    rajivroy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you look great!

Your username threw me off though :) I was pronouncing it all wrong! Lol

PS. I like what you said about the weight training. The way you said it. I will definitely add it to my routine. Thank you!
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I would like to recommend the "Stronglifts 5x5" program. That and the "Starting Strength" program are time-tested, popular, and reasonably doable routines for beginner to intermediate strength training enthusiasts.

I happen to be a great fan of weight training. What I achieved in 4 months (pics on my profile) tells me I might not have been able to do any better elsewhere.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Weight training is amazing, it will do things to your body that I just haven't seen running or any cardio do for people. You need to mix it up, our bodies get used to doing the same things, if you aren't seeing the results you want, try something new! I rotate between running, weight training, working with my trainer and hot yoga.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Is it wrong to say, I think you look good in your first pic? You look even better in the second but for years of drinking and eating whatever, you looked pretty good lol.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I mean, yeah, I was never obese or anything but I was almost 140 on a 5'4" frame with no muscle and no fitness at all, I'm now 121, dramatically decreased body fat percentage and have gained in muscle drastically.
  • itzehoe
    itzehoe Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Great job - Keep up the good work!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!