Low Sodium Salsa????

Options
I couldn't believe how much sodium is in Salsa.... Is there any salsa on the market that is low sodium???? I know I can make my own, but I usually don't have time :(

Replies

• BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by low, but Rojo's has really good salsa. It's not sold by the chips though. It's usually by the cheese and refrigerated pasta/sauce. It's the only salsa I'll eat if it's not going into something.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Salsa takes very little time to make.

Tomatoes, onion, green chili, & whatever else you feel appropriate - put in food processor & process.

Except corn. Once you put corn in it, it stops being salsa.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Drain some diced tomatoes, chop up a jalapeno, some onion, cilantro, and a bit of lime juice. It takes five minutes or so tops. Then you can keep it in the fridge tightly covered.
  • PicoJulie
    Options
    I like Mission salsa. Straight up ingredients and not bad on the salt/ sugar for pre-made. At my Safeway its smack in the middle of the chip isle. It runs on the spicy side, so if don't like spice get mild. I like medium.

I also shop at the local Co-op and just bought Drew's, which is good in that area too for salsa. Haven't given it the taste test yet.

:happy:
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper had his own salsa recipe. I think it would be okay to add it to this post. :) It's in his Jumpstart to Skinny book in case you're interested in looking up more.

Pico de Gallo

Ingredients
    4 plum tomatoes, chopped
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1~2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 small garlic clove, crushed
    1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice

Toss all of the ingredients together and store in an air-tight container in the fridge. Can eat quite a bit at once -- a half cup to a full cup has been listed in some of his recipes.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Even quicker - a can of Rotel low sodium tomatoes (already contains the onions and green chiles), garlic powder and lemon juice. Puree in a food processor. Add olive oil if you need to up the fat.

If you have time to go grocery shopping, you have time to make a healthy, excuse-free salsa.
  • comm1t_1984
    comm1t_1984 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to try some of these out... I didn't realize it took 5 minutes. I work full-time and go to school full-time, so cooking for me lately has been very minimal. :grumble:
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you have a trader joe's by you, I really like their spicy smoky peach salsa. I believe 90 or 95 mg sodium in 2 tbsp.

Also, I used to buy a salsa by the brand La Mexicana, it was more of a fresh salsa, but it was definitely good. It had VERY low sodium and I could only find it at Safeway in a large jar (near the deli, usually). I'm talking like a 48 oz of salsa. But so worth it!

Sorry, this is the only photo of the product I could find.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=503708139677880&set=a.453663451349016.93804.125087044206660&type=1&theater
  • forthguy
    Options
    Trader Joe's Fire-Roasted Tomato salsa has 30mg per 2-tablespoon serving. It's a little mild for my tastes, but it's a nice accompaniment to salt-free tortilla chips. I prefer Whole Foods Organic 365 salt-free tortilla chips to Trader Joe's chips.

When I get in a nachos sort of mood, I'll take some of the no-salt chips, a slice or two of Trader Joe's Marbled Lacey Swiss & Colby (35 mg sodium per slice), whip up some simple (no-salt) guacamole, and get myself 2 tbsp (or 4, if it's all I'm having for dinner) of the TJ's Fire-Roasted Tomato salsa.

Supposedly, they have a chipotle salsa that's low, but I haven't seen it: http://thedailydish.us/low-sodium-products/its-a-low-sodium-fiesta-at-trader-joes/
  • bonjourjackie
    bonjourjackie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just bought the chipotle salsa and it's pretty spicy! It's low sodium too (30mg for two tablespoons). I was scared it was going to be all liquidy, but it's got a little bit of chunk. Not as good as a pico de gallo, but a good substitute.
  • 2Slipry
    Options
    Good evening. If you view, "Stengel's Secret" you will find only 25 mg salt, all natural, the Master Cleanse digestive-tract healthy ingredients, no water, and the healing herb Cayenne. Again, I say, "No water and no soggy chips." Nothing but pure product in the bowl down to the last chip. :happy: Nothing but pure, body healthy ingredients.
  • just_jess7
    just_jess7 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy Newman's Own salsa, I know for the mild salsa it's about 65mg of sodium a serving and I think 10 calories. Plus Newman's Own is a great business that donates all its proceeds to charity!