Plateau anyone???

Options
I was losing about 1/2 pound to one pound per week, and now my body has stopped losing! Anyone have any advice on how to break a weight loss plateau or what has worked for you?

Thanks! :heart:

Replies

• GrayJohn
    Options
    Try changing your workouts - your body has become used to doing the same thing so now thinks it's the norm. I hit this wall too so I started running and after a week I was losing 2-3lbs. Try something new so it shocks your body into action. I hope this helps.

Good luck
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    How are your calories? I average about 1/2 lb to 1 lb a week and I eat a good portion of my exercise calories. That doesn't work for everyone but I exercise hard so I need those calories in order to keep losing and to keep my energy. If your calories are good then look at mixing up your exercise routine. Most of us stick with the same old routine which our bodies get used too. Try something different and maybe more challenging.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost? A plateau is not just a week without loss (just saying because I would say I was plateauing if I didn't lose for a week or two before I read around and discovered it's more like a month). First off, I just want to point out that, since you are within ten pounds of your goal (7 lbs. away according to your profile) and you appear to be a healthy weight, you're probably going to experience slow weight loss because it's hard for you to create a deficit. HOWEVER, if it IS plateau, there are some things you can do:
    First- Vary your calorie levels day to day to jumpstart your metabolism. Up your calories by a couple hundred for a while. Then, implement a varied calorie intake from hereon out (ie -- If you were netting 1200 calories daily, make your week look something like this: M- 1300 T- 1100 W- 1200 TH- 1400 F- 1100 SAT- 1150 SUN- 1200).
    Second- Take a few days off from exercise. It sounds counter-intuitive, maybe, to yup your calories and lay off exercise, but this works really well for me. And make sure you take a day or two off every week, anyway!
    Third- Change your exercising up! Definitely add in some weights if you don't have them already! Try different types of cardio....walk instead of run, take a bike ride, even walk backwards for a while!

Okay, that's all I've got! Good luck! :)
  • kskye82
    kskye82 Posts: 56
    Options
    I am currently doing P90X, so my workouts are a pretty good variety. As far as calories, I take in about 1500 per day (sometimes more, sometimes less).
    And yes, I do agree that one week with no loss is not a plateau, but I guess I got freaked out because it's the first week in about a month that I had no loss.....
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    p90x ! I bet you have put on some muscle, start measuring yourself and forget about the scale .