Running- pavement vs everything else?

Options
Hi All,

I completed the C25K last year with the goal of being able to run a full 5k. We have a bunch of land so I basically set up a circle trail out in our woods, think 'easy flat unpaved hiking trail'. Once I had 30 min down I wanted to get an idea of distance, so I went to a local paved bike trail and away I went. For about 10 minutes. And then wanted to die. I decided to give it more time at home. A few weeks later I tried the bike trail trail again and it played out the same way=(

I didn't want to get in a motivation slump, so I switched my running to cardio classes for the summer. They have been fun, but Fall weather just makes me want to get out and jog. The gym has an indoor track so I decided to check it out. No issues on it, and I am where I expected; a few laps shy of 3 miles. Once again I head to some pavement and yea, fail.

Is this just a mental block? Maybe my brain is motivated by circles? -not a comforting thought. Perhaps if i just keep hitting the pavement till I get use to it? I still have that 5k goal in my head, so I am motivated to get over this wimpyness.

Suggestions, comments, random facts?

Thanks,
~Cinder

Replies

• scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Pavement puts more shock into your legs while running on it. Tracks and trails that aren't paved are softer and easier on the joints. I've noticed I can run easily on a treadmill but not so much on pavement.

Though, running on pavement has gotten slightly easier since I've bought a more cushioned shoe...maybe that's your problem? Or, try running on pavement by grass and run on the grass a bit and switch to see if that helps. :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Start the C25K program but on pavement. It will ease you into it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's mental. If you can run dirt trails you should be able to run paved trails. there can be a noticeable physical difference between a treadmill and an actual surface, but really, there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between running a dirt vs paved trail in RE to whether you can accomplish it or not. It is a bit harder on your joints, but you should still be able to do it if you can run other surfaces.
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like running both, it all depends on your route. I try to mix it up so i'm not used to one type of terrain
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I completed the C25K last year with the goal of being able to run a full 5k. We have a bunch of land so I basically set up a circle trail out in our woods, think 'easy flat unpaved hiking trail'. Once I had 30 min down I wanted to get an idea of distance, so I went to a local paved bike trail and away I went. For about 10 minutes. And then wanted to die. I decided to give it more time at home. A few weeks later I tried the bike trail trail again and it played out the same way=(

I didn't want to get in a motivation slump, so I switched my running to cardio classes for the summer. They have been fun, but Fall weather just makes me want to get out and jog. The gym has an indoor track so I decided to check it out. No issues on it, and I am where I expected; a few laps shy of 3 miles. Once again I head to some pavement and yea, fail.

Is this just a mental block? Maybe my brain is motivated by circles? -not a comforting thought. Perhaps if i just keep hitting the pavement till I get use to it? I still have that 5k goal in my head, so I am motivated to get over this wimpyness.

Suggestions, comments, random facts?

Thanks,
    ~Cinder

I'm actually just responding because I'm curious about your name. Is your name really Cinder? Or is it a nickname and your name is Cindy or something along those lines? Or is your name Cinderella and you shortened it to keep from having people bring you glass slippers all the time? Or is your name something totally different and you just like it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just feeling very curious today.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I think it is mental too,
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My only advice is stick with it. You'll get it eventually. I did my C25K on an outdoor track. When I hit the pavement to get ready for a race I found it was much harder because of the hills. It took me a couple weeks to transition but it did happen.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The lower the elasticity of the track, the harder it will be on your joints. Unevenness of surface, horizontal slope, vertical slope, friction, etc all affect how you run and how your body handles it. Asphalt is softer than concrete but tends to be more rounded, affecting how your foot hits the pavement. Natural trails can be all over the place.

Basically, no two tracks are going to be identical. Just build, run, and go.
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pavement is certainly harder on the joints, but I don't feel a huge difference in terms of distance I can run. Is it hills? You mentioned your trail course is flat, and the indoor track is flat.

When I jumped to street running, the constant change in elevation, even on what looks to be a flat area, very challenging at first. Take it slower than you usually do, and you will be able to do it. Once you start doing courses with more variations, you will also find that you can go farther and faster on flat courses. Until then, slow down, concentrate on your form and have fun! Fall running is the best.
  • weavemyway
    weavemyway Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the mental thing, and I have a suggestion. One of my running routes is a perfectly straight shot. I run 1.5 miles away from my house, turn around, and run back. I hate that route and often feel fatigued fairly quickly. And it's definitely harder for me to tune everything else out. COMPARED TO another route of mine. Again, it is three miles, but my route goes through many different areas. I run by the golf course, passed some houses, through some woods, by a pond, etc. etc. These different areas seem to act like check-points in my head, and my stamina is so much better. Plus I can get lost in my run. If I have extra time, I'll push it further, and do my four miles, and sometimes five. It's so bizarre how different I feel running the straight route vs. the route with varied settings. Both routes are paved. Oh yeah, so my suggestion is to find something that turns, and brings you to different places and what not.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Run slower & make sure you are using proper form, especially on the landing.

When I run long distances 9-18 miles I usually am running over pressed gravel trails, grass, dirt/woodchip and a little pavement all in the same run. I don't even notice anymore, but I slow down slightly on the pressed gravel or pavement. Will grass & dirt I am kicking it up the tempo.
  • amylite
    amylite Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Run slower & make sure you are using proper form, especially on the landing.

^^This

My experience, too, is that when I went from treadmill to street, I also "wanted to die." Then, same from trail (crushed limestone thru the woods) to street. I realized my pace was whacked, I was trying to move too quickly. Slow down your pace, learn your 3 miles, then work on speed :-) Good luck!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Hard surfaces are harder on your legs, in terms of injury risk. But they're easier, in my experience, in terms of effort. It's harder *work* to run on soft surfaces, but you're less likely to hurt yourself. I find my legs don't ache the same way, when I run on trails as they do when I run on the road.