Creamy Chicken Eggplant Enchiladas

Options
Ok ya'll, I searched all day for the perfect enchilada recipe. I really wanted to sub the tortillas for something less caloric (mostly so I could make them cheesier... :D), but I had trouble finding any recipes that inspired me and then it came to me... EGGPLANT! So, here it is...

1 large eggplant
12oz boiled, shredded, boneless skinless chicken breast (no salt)
1tbsp smart balance light
1 medium onion
2 large jalapeño peppers
1 can hatch green enchilada sauce w/ roasted garlic
1/2 cup shredded 2% mozzarella
2 tbsp fat free sour cream
3/4 cup 2% mexican cheese blend

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Slice eggplant into 32 thin, round slices. Back slices for about 5 minutes (or until slightly brown, but not crispy). Let cool.

Boil and shred chicken.

Slice onions and peppers, sauté in smart balance. Set aside.

Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. Mix shredded chicken with mozzarella, sour cream, onions, peppers and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce. If you would prefer wetter chicken, feel free to add more enchilada sauce, just remember you still need some to put on top of the enchiladas. Place some chicken mixture into the center of an eggplant round, wrap eggplant around chicken mixture. Place eggplant enchilada in glass casserole dish, lined in foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat until chicken mixture and eggplant rounds are all used up. Place in oven for about 15 minutes, or until eggplants look slightly crispy. Remove from oven and add remainder of enchilada sauce and mexican cheese. Place in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serving size: 4 enchiladas (or 1/8 or casserole)
156 calories, fat 8g, carbs 8g, fiber 4g, sugar 4g, protein 20g.

This recipe can be modified however you prefer, less cheese, more veggies, this was just how I wanted to make it. It was also a little spicy because of the jalapeños, be warned! Have fun making these and enjoy! They are very delicious!!

Replies

• halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious, thanks!
  • blueyegirl0712
    blueyegirl0712 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    slice the eggplant shortway?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yum!! looks awesome!!

think I'll leave out the peppers for the kids though...

Thanks for posting!! :happy:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Love a great eggplant recipe!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    > slice the eggplant shortway?

> 32 thin, round slices
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    my mouth/brain are so incredibly confused by this
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Okay, I just got done making and eating this recipe, and I just had to come back to tell you all about it. First of all, I think eggplant TOTALLY WORKS as a replacement for the tortilla in enchiladas.

I experimented with eggplant slices of different thicknesses because people mean different things when they say "thin slices." I found that my very thinnest slices worked the best. I would recommend leaning toward thinner slices because if it's too thin, a little filling spills out into the pan. If it's too thick, you can't get the filling wrapped properly. Also, only my thicker slices reminded me that I was eating eggplant. My thinner slices honestly let me believe I was eating enchiladas with flour tortillas. Also the recipe was very filling. You could also do the same idea as sort of an enchilada lasagna if you don't want to try folding all the little enchiladas.

I made a fresh pico with tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, lime juice, cilantro, and a teeny bit of salt to go on top of my enchiladas and I also added a little bit of light sour cream on the top.

Unfortunately, I did not have Hatch green chile enchilada sauce. I only had Las Palmas on hand. As soon as I get my hands on some Hatch sauce, I will make this again with thin sliced rounds. (I sliced the eggplant into rounds even though I wasn't sure which way I was meant to slice it). I also put a little bit more 3-cheese blend on the top (probably a full cup instead of 3/4).

I ate 1/4 of the pan for a total of 386 calories and 11 net carbs. It was completely satisfying. If you've been thinking of trying this recipe, I vote "go for it!"
  • cmk9191
    cmk9191 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump