I will miss my summer fruits!

Options
This year is the first year I have been successful in my weight loss goals. I started in the spring and have gradually lost over 25 lbs. It is currently watermelon season here in Texas and I am eating a ton of watermelon for snacks. Low cal, sweet, cool, fiber! As we start thinking about cooler temps I know I am going into the toughest part of my weight loss program...WINTER!

I shut down, hibernate and eat my way through winter. I'm trying to plan ahead and find ways to exercise indoors. My main source of exercise is horseback riding and it will be way too dark and cold by the time I get home from work to get that in on a consistent basis. I am seriously considering getting an Equicizer despite the cost. I think it would get a lot of use even in the summer. I need a good go-to snack food that is easy and low cal. Any suggestions for those of us who like to hibernate for the winter to make it out the other side without gaining too much and possibly losing a little?

Replies

• lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Apples and oranges are great winter fruits.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes are awesome, but maybe not ideal when its cold lol...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love my winter citrus! Navel oranges, grapefruit and mandarins are sweet and juicy. Fresh pears, apples,& kiwifruit are coming into season now and through the next few months. And it seems like fresh Hawaiian pineapple is always in season at my local stores.

Enjoy the tasty fruits of the season! Although like you, I will miss the summer fruits - I love peaches and melons and grapes!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    love me a nice horse.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm ready for the winter squash!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i miss my apricots. havent been able to find them in a month :(
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Cold in Texas?
  • Dittomom
    Dittomom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cold in Texas?

Cold AND damp :) Even some of the northerners complain. The wind will chill you to the bone. I bundle up so much, I look like the Michelin man when I go out to feed the horses in the winter time.

Thanks for the advice on the fruits. Anything warm, easy to fix and tasty you could recommend?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Cold in Texas?

Cold AND damp :) Even some of the northerners complain. The wind will chill you to the bone. I bundle up so much, I look like the Michelin man when I go out to feed the horses in the winter time.

Thanks for the advice on the fruits. Anything warm, easy to fix and tasty you could recommend?
    How cold does it get in winter?
  • Dittomom
    Dittomom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Cold in Texas?

How cold does it get in winter?

It never gets into the minus numbers, at least not in my lifetime, but it can get down into the single and double digits. When it is a cold dry day it is not so bad but it can be 45 degrees and damp with a howling wind that will chill you to the bone. The only way I can get warm after that is a hot, hot shower.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I'm not too fond of apples unfortunately... My favorites are peaches and plums, even though even in Summer it's hard to find some that are not hard as brick.

I guess I'll eat oranges and overpriced berries, and pears maybe... or make more smoothies with frozen fruit or something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Will definitely be missing my peaches, nectarines, and cherries. Apples and citrus are all good...but nothing even remotely as awesome as peaches, nectarines, and cherries.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Clementines!