Is gorging once as bad as regular slight overeating?

Options
I have a theory that eating a really big, disgustingly-huge meal every once in awhile isn't as bad as slight, but consistent, overeating.

Specifically, I've noticed that if I overeat just a little for a couple of weeks (e.g., eating normally except for adding a few of my wife's chocolate chip cookies per day), I'll gain weight. However, if I eat normally for those same two weeks, with the exception of stuffing myself silly at a buffet once, I stay static.

My theory is that the buffet provides far too many calories for my body to actually metabolize before they're eliminated, therefore resulting in far fewer excess calories than a straight calorie count would indicate.

Is there any truth to this theory?

Replies

• MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these links. I read them both and gather that leptin has something to do with my question, but evidently I'm not learned enough to see exactly how the studies referenced either support or debunk my theory. Are you saying that leptin levels spike after a heavy meal, and that's the reason an occasional stuffing doesn't seem to negatively impact my weight?

The other thing I noticed is that at least one of the studies was regarding obese individuals. I'm overweight, but not obese, so if I'm reading correctly, that may also have relevance to my leptin levels, right?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Short answer: No, long term overeating is way worse and an occasional calorie surplus can be beneficial.

But, it's important to note that your long term calorie surplus/deficit overall determines your success. If you have gorges too frequently, the only benefit would be if you're trying to fit in to bigger pants.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have eaten 6300 calories in one day and have also eaten 0 calories in one day. One day of 0 calories did not make me skinny and one day of 6300 calories did not make me fat. However I do average my calories by the week and by the month and try to stay within a certain range to reach my goals. If I were to slightly overeat on a regular basis then I would slightly gain weight on a regular basis. If I gorge on excess calories and eat at maintainence the rest of the week I would also slightly gain weight. If the gorging puts you over your weekly calorie goal and you gain weight then yes it is just as bad as regular slight overeating.
    Congratulations on your weight loss you have done an awesome job!
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the individual, but would once a month be considered too frequent?
  • mjschumacher100
    Options
    Once a month isn't too frequent, I have at least one gorge a week, I tend to save it for a Saturday night :) But then last night I hate a 1500 calorie bar of chocolate and overate by around 4000 calories in total. I do make sure I still track everything.

BUT, and there is a but, there can be psychological issues for people. Especially those who are obese or very overweight, having those kinds of meals has a lasting effect, not only do they do it too frequently it depresses them, demotivates them and actually makes them feel guilty.

If that's you then I would suggest not playing around with food intake like that because it's a slippery slope.

It's a bit like the clean eating thing. To me clean eating is nonsense. No one can define clean anyway and it's different for anyone. Plus it's just someone arbitrary standard and so on. I have 'unclean' foods every day. However for those who have eating issues or mental issues with food or those who are/were obese then really stick to broccoli and chicken until those issues are resolved because if like me you throw ice cream or popcorn into the mix everyday it can cause huge issues.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Bumping, also curious
  • dgoradia
    dgoradia Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that eating a really big, disgustingly-huge meal every once in awhile isn't as bad as slight, but consistent, overeating.

Specifically, I've noticed that if I overeat just a little for a couple of weeks (e.g., eating normally except for adding a few of my wife's chocolate chip cookies per day), I'll gain weight. However, if I eat normally for those same two weeks, with the exception of stuffing myself silly at a buffet once, I stay static.
    The studies seem to support this in part.^
    My theory is that the buffet provides far too many calories for my body to actually metabolize before they're eliminated, therefore resulting in far fewer excess calories than a straight calorie count would indicate.

No, you just store the excess kcals, in fat cells.
  • nobbta
    nobbta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me, one a week is too frequent, it's like having a 'cheat meal' which I don't agree with. Once a month Sunday roast would suit me perfectly. It's far enough apart to keep my weight on track, but far enough apart to feel like a treat.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

The studies seem to support this in part.^

No, you just store the excess kcals, in fat cells.

Actually, check out this new study. It appears there might be some validity to that theory.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23913807
    "Short-term overeating results in incomplete energy intake compensation..."
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you're overeating only once every few weeks, you're probably not consuming the amount of the deficit you created in that time. In regards to your body eliminating cals not needed, if true, then no one would be fat.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I would think slight overeating might not be enough to trigger much increase in satiety so the excess intake doesn't result in reduced intake later. Whereas a single large meal might trigger it enough that you do compensate later by eating less. Because leptin.
  • lkhaycook
    lkhaycook Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MatthewLewis81
    MatthewLewis81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're overeating only once every few weeks, you're probably not consuming the amount of the deficit you created in that time. In regards to your body eliminating cals not needed, if true, then no one would be fat.
    That's not what I'm talking about - what I mean is, if I eat a really heavy meal, does the sheer mass of food cause a lot of calories to just wind up getting passed before they can be absorbed? I think that's the case, but was interested in other perspectives.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I'm wondering if it might be simply about the numbers? Obviously eating an extra 300 calories a day is going to add more calories over the week (2100) than one 1000 calorie meal a week.

Also, the 300 calorie snacks are extra, on top of your calorie allowance. Whereas the 1000 calorie meal is probably replacing a meal of, say, 500 calories, so is only actually adding an extra 500 calories. Obviously, your actual figures may vary!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I can't validate your theory, only share my experience earlier this week. I hit my weight loss goal on the same day as my birthday and wedding anniversary. I decided I would have a guilt-free splurge day. I ate my normal breakfast, did my daily workout, and ate a slightly bigger lunch than normal. I also had a piece of bday cake for a mid afternoon snack. But for supper, I ate a huge plate of shrimp and veggie linguini in a rich buttery sauce, dinner roll, salad, pie for dessert and another piece of bday cake for a midnight snack. The next morning I weighed in 3 lbs heavier than the day before. While I ate an obscene amount of calories, I know I did not consume enough to really gain 3 lbs of fat. I suspect I did, however, eat enough for my body to replenish my glycogen stores and that's why the extra lbs on the scale. I am now working to get rid of them again :o( I am pretty sure it won't take long, as they are not "fat" lbs per se.

Maybe the difference is that my binge happened over the course of a half of a day rather than one sit-down meal.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Calorie intake / calories burned............. that is what matters.

MY THEORY is when you complicate things trying to justify overeating, all at once or over a period of time, you will get what you get.

Your real question is, "Is my overeating better than other people's so I can feel better about it?" I am thinking it really does not matter. You are free to do what you feel is right for you. For me, it is to stick to my set calories every day.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I'm wondering if it might be simply about the numbers? Obviously eating an extra 300 calories a day is going to add more calories over the week (2100) than one 1000 calorie meal a week.

Also, the 300 calorie snacks are extra, on top of your calorie allowance. Whereas the 1000 calorie meal is probably replacing a meal of, say, 500 calories, so is only actually adding an extra 500 calories. Obviously, your actual figures may vary!

Makes sense
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I would think slight overeating might not be enough to trigger much increase in satiety so the excess intake doesn't result in reduced intake later. Whereas a single large meal might trigger it enough that you do compensate later by eating less. Because leptin.

This is what I was thinking. Usually if I've had a lot of food one day I'm not so hungry the next.
  • Fiona_Cami89
    Fiona_Cami89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think having one day a week where you have one higher calorie snack or meal that you wouldn't allow yourself otherwise should be fine, as long as it is only a one off and you aren't over-eating all day long. For example, I might have a Mars bar on a Saturday...whilst it is almost 300 kcals, I'm not having that followed by McDonalds, Pizza Hut and donuts all in one day...you know? lol

Basically, if we never gave ourselves a treat now and again, most of us would fall spectacularly off the wagon. Just make sure you aren't eating more than the calorie amount it would take to maintain your weight :)