Tried low carb and gained 10 pounds.

Options
I shifted away from myfitnesspal for a bit signing up at the Atkins site. It's awful because I gained 10 pounds. Even with tracking all the food I ate.

If I see another egg or piece of cheese again I'll scream.

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carb for 9 days now. So far 4 pounds down. In fact I've had to up the carbs some because I just am not getting enough calories.

There's only one reason you gain doing any diet. You're not maintaining a deficit.
    So you might be doing low carb, but you're eating too many calories.

And yeah I feel the same way about eggs. lol
    I'm going off this thing Sunday and I'm having a cinnabon. And Ice cream. lol
  • Lineape
    Options
    10 pounds in how long? I find it hard to believe that anyone could gain 10 pounds on a keto diet, especially if they're tracking calories. Hell, most people that do keto lose 5 or 6 pounds of water weight in the first week from the lack of carbs.

Either A. Your scale is broken. B You've incorrectly calculated your BMR and TDEE and are overeating, C You are not tracking your calories correctly (or at all), or D, some combination of the above.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    10 pounds in how long? I find it hard to believe that anyone could gain 10 pounds on a keto diet, especially if they're tracking calories. Hell, most people that do keto lose 5 or 6 pounds of water weight in the first week from the lack of carbs.

I lost 4, and I didn't even stay in keto. I had too many carbs on at least one day.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you were overeating, sorry to say but its as simple as that hun
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Science dictates that you were overeating then....
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    gotta see your diary to know.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't blame the eating plan. Either you overate or your scale is broken.....or you're just bloated.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what you HAVE lost though, that is an amazing accomplishment!
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I shifted away from myfitnesspal for a bit signing up at the Atkins site. It's awful because I gained 10 pounds. Even with tracking all the food I ate.

If I see another egg or piece of cheese again I'll scream.

You have to be the first person in history to gain weight on Atkins. Did you read the book or just dive in?

Many people put the weight back on once they start going back to carbs, so perhaps you just accelerated the inevitable.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    you were overeating, sorry to say but its as simple as that hun

X2
  • vnatural
    Options
    Learn how to eat properly.
    Eat until you are satisfied, not full.
    Chew your food at least 12 times before swallowing.
    Eat slow.
    Learn what ingredients are in the food you are eating and don't eat over the calories.

It doesn't matter what diet plan you are taking if you eat too much you will gain weight.
    You could lose weight eating junk food, I've lost 10 lbs eating junk in the past while staying under 1200 calories.
    So don't blame the diet.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I wish I could go without carbs :ohwell: I wouldn't even know where to get started or what to eat if I cut carbs.
  • lizmumma98
    lizmumma98 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged! I am so proud that you have lost OVER 120 pounds! That is a HUGE accomplishment!!!!