p90X Kenpo too easy?

Ngolden1
Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I did Kenpo for the first time yesterday. I tried my best to really get into it and managed to work up a sweat. But it was way too easy. I don't believe it will improve my cardio fitness level in any real way. I know when I do cardio at the gym or run, I work a lot harder than that. So I am thinking of doing that instead on Kenpo days. Does anyone else do this? Think its a good idea or no? If there is something else I'm meant to be gaining from Kenpo, then I will keep doing it - but if its cardio I should probably do something else.

Replies

• I kind of agree with you! I plan to do my kenpo for the second time today so hopefully I can get a little more out of it now that I've seen it before. Its a lot of fun and my arms were sore the next day so I know I did something, but I think i burn more jogging. I love P90X but i too feel there isnt enough cardio so I do the doubles with lean instead (im not quite strong enough for the standard, yet!)
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    I have felt the same way. If there were more movement and kicking it would be great, but those times when you're just standing there blocking, I feel like my time could be better spent. Maybe you could fast forward through the slow parts and do some sort of other cardio to make up the time you missed. Or maybe adding light handweights during some of the movements would leave you feeling it more...
  • Really? Um, I love it and think it works. I'm always drenched in sweat at the end. Even though it is a cardio workout, I really feel it in my arms and legs. I think it has helped add more definition. Are you doing the 3-way kicks with one never touching the ground? That makes it harder. But, if you feel you need a more intense cardio - do Plyometrics. That is the biggest fat burning workout. And it kicks your a**!!! It's not done in lean, but I threw it in to mix it up and to make up for only doing 50 minutes of yoga.

PS - I'm on my 2nd round of P90X ... I lost 25 pounds and went from a size 10 to 6! And I had to modify a lot because I can't jump (bad knees and ankles).
  • MizzFitness
    MizzFitness Posts: 76 Member
    If you are doing all of the moves, even the blocks with intensity & vigor your heart rate will reach well into your training zone, if not above. It may not be "anaerobic" level of intensity, but I wouldn't call it easy. KenpoX is one of my absolute faves. I get really low into the horse stance, really perfect my kicks, punch like my ex is standing in front of me, & feel like a million bucks after.
  • Ngolden1
    Ngolden1 Posts: 58 Member
    I agree it can be made harder by keeping your foot off the ground etc...I could try that. I dunno, I'm just having this nagging feeling about the lack of cardio. I only did cardio before - hours and hours on the ellyptical, running, intervals. I prided myself on having a ton of lung capacity. Then I got injured, had to stop, and took up P90x as a more well-rounded way to get back into shape. But I don't know if I can deal with the lack of cardio! With the exception of plyo - that one is awesome. I feel like it's not enough though. I will do the doubles - probably run instead of Cardio X. Why wait until phase 2 to do doubles?
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    It could be that Kenpo is supposed to be a "recovery" of sorts. I don't do P90X, I do Insanity and Turbo Fire. But some programs fit in a "recovery" day, especially if it's a series that's really tough, so that you're still working out but giving your muscles a little of a break too. Just a thought. Good luck with P90X!!!:happy:
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Kenpo is a GREAT cardio workout.... if its too easy your not putting your hips and shoulders into it; if you do you will burn lots of calories!!!! Now because Kenpo is soooo fun sometimes it doesnt feel like a workout; i mean its so fun before you know it your done but im always drenched in sweat at the end!!! And as Mizzfitness says i get really low in the horse stance and try to perfect ever punch and kick.... also breathing correctly is key to this workout!!!! I think you should give it another try.... Im about to start my second round of p90x and this time im adding leg weights and arm weights to the mix.... cant wait to see what kind of burn i get with that!!!
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    I thought the same thing about kenpo but then I added arm weights and you really feel the burn during the arm punches. Also the higher you do the kicks the more you will feel it.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    A lot of people are starting to add the light hand weights and ankle weights during Kenpo. We stopped doing Kenpo after we completed our 1st round of P90X because my husband wasn't impressed with it at all.
  • I totally get where you are coming from on the love of cardio. Like you, I only did cardio. Seriously, I HATED strength training. I would run 5 miles, or do 60-90 minutes on the stairmaster, or an hour on the elliptical. I worried about the lack of cardio for P90X, too. Like I said, I had to modify for my knees and ankles, and I did add Plyo every so often. I stuck to the full 90 days and I get a bunch of compliments on how fit I look. The trick to Kenpo is pretend you are kicking and punching the crap out of someone you do not like and really put your shoulders and hips into it. If you think it is too easy, then definitely modify it to doubles or adding weights.

:smile:
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    In my opinion, kenplo is very easy!, I really don't sweat a lot too, but I think this routine is made for a very low impact cardio session for the 6th day of the week, the 6th and the 7th day are way more for recover your muscles and prepare for the rest of the week. Despite this fact, what I do is to add Cardio X to the 6th day, I mean I do Cardio X + Kenpo X and I do first Cardio following by Kenpo and I don't take a rest between...That way you will feel the burn girl, I can promise!:wink:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the Kenpo X workout, however if you do the moves with intensity you will still get a very good calorie burn. You may not be breathing so hard you're gasping for air, but your heart rate will be in the training zone.

That said, I found the Kenpo X+ workout from the P90X+ add-on DVDs to be a MUCH better workout.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the Kenpo X workout, however if you do the moves with intensity you will still get a very good calorie burn. You may not be breathing so hard you're gasping for air, but your heart rate will be in the training zone.

That said, I found the Kenpo X+ workout from the P90X+ add-on DVDs to be a MUCH better workout.

Agree on the P90X+ Kenpo/Cardio X+ workout. It is a bit more intense than regular Kenpo. The Kenpo dvd is easy to outgrow very quickly.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    I did my first round of Kenpo last night and I worked me out. Granted I'm not all that in shape and yes I can see how if you were in better shape and used to more cardio is could get kind of boring, maybe mix it up with the Cardio DVD or adding in weights like the others were saying.

Good luck I hope you find something that works for you honey! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • I love Kenpo X, I perform it with great effort. All of my kicks and punches makes a forceful sound in the wind, the exercise does seem easy though. I make it intensifying by wearing the Kutting Weight Sauna Suit with some Sweet Sweat, by the end of the workout I feel sore all over like a truck hit me. Kenpo X is easy to perform that's why I find it perfect with using my sauna suit and the sweet sweat cream, it won't overkill you when you are done, but it will leave a bucket of sweat on the floor.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    If you punch like they do in the video, I could see how you could consider it a weak workout. Really snap your punches though and rotate your body into the hooks, and you will get a lot more from it. The same with those blocks - perhaps crunch a bit, but your abs should be tight as you rotate. It's a great core exercise. I do this sort of workout with a heavy bag and 16oz gloves, so perhaps that helps.
  • My name is Morgan, I have GBM, which is cancer. I've begun doing p90x again alongside working up to being able to run a 5k every day. I did Kenpo today, and did not do my run because I am sick, and I thought it was great!! I worked my butt off and just had a sports bra/shorts on with the fan on and I was still sweating up a storm. When I do my 5k, I do it outside in Texas hit at around 1030 in the morning and man, that will make you sweat so much even if you're walking. I thought the Kenpo gave me as good of a workout as running. :) Do you know approximately how many calories Kenpo burns? Thank you!
  • I love the sauna suit idea, have you tried doing it with hand weights? When I used to do it with my parents I used hand weights which in return, intensifies the work out! :)
This discussion has been closed.