Help us get our diet and behavior right

Options
Hi everyone! My fiance and I have just begun the whole losing fat/weight thing. We are not really satisfied with our present condition. We're not huge by any means but we'd like to lose a few pounds and better ourselves.

Here is where we stand, we started yesterday and here is what we have done.

* Removed dairy (yogurt, etc.) replaced with almond and soy milk and yogurt.
* Added more fruit into our diet (My lunch was a pear and that was it until some pizza which was just due to it being left over it's now out of our life!) - She an apple for lunch. Do we need to change anything here?
* Planned our diets and eating times. Yesterday we have brown rice with mushrooms, zucchini and steamed chicken. Tonight we had pannies (mine was turkey her's was chicken), but we ate them early and have only grazed lightly since (Snikiddy Cheddar Baked Fries.) -- This is our major stumbling block next to exercise
* Exercise is hard for me because I am a software developer, she gets about an hour of walking in a day due to school -- we need help here!!!
* She hates the taste of plain water and I hate the chemicals in the flavor stuff but loves tea, is it ok to make large tea batches and put them in bottles?
* Concerned with sports drinks, good, bad, ok?
* We have adopted more veggies and stuff like veggie burgers (we REALLY check the ingredients...how is hyrdolized anything healthy?!)
* Are we missing anything we should know?

THANKS!

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to cut dairy. In fact, some dairy i.e. greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein, which is your friend when you want to lose weight.

Both you and your fiance will have a different calorie target to lose weight in a healthy manner.

Adding fruits and vegetables is great, but if your total caloric intake is too high, you won't lose weight. You need to burn more than you take in.

I recommend getting a food scale and weighing and measuring all portions and tracking your food intake here on My Fitness Pal. Set your lifestyle factor as accurately as possible - you are probably "lightly active" as a computer jockey and she is probably "moderately active" if she's in school and moving around between classes. Set a modest goal... 1/2 to 1 lb per week unless you have a significant amount of weight to lose... then eat whatever you like each day with a goal of getting near that target +/- 50 calories.

Then, once you're comfortable there, I'd recommend increasing your protein intake until you are inching closer to 1g per pound of body weight daily.

Eat the highest fiber foods you can find - at least 30-50g daily if you can...

Avoid fat-free/non-fat/low-fat/sugar-free/no-sugar-added/lite/diet/non-foods.

Tea is fine and counts as a hydrating drink as long as it is decaffeinated.

Take it one day at a time. There is no beginning and no end. There is no wagon. Baby steps.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    unless you are intolerant or allergic to dairy there is no reason to cut it out. in fact there was a Danish study that showed if you have large amounts of low fat dairy calcium (the test subject ate like 1kg of low fat yogurt a day) it binds fat in your diet and it gets excreted rather then stored

is the apple or pear the only thing you plan to have for lunch? Usually people seem have more success if they allocate a certain number of cals for each meal so they keep grazing between meals.

go for a walk together at night where you get your heart rate up (not a romantic little stroll), go swimming, go riding a bike together, find something that you like

anyway, determine how many cals you use a day, eat/drink less then that and see what sort of exercise you might like and do it regularily :-)
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes you need help and I am by no means one to turn to. I do have a few thoughts based on what I have done.

*I do almond and soy when possible but haven't cut out all dairy. Nonfat Greek yogurt is a great substitute for Mayo and the like. I use it to make ranch and many dishes that call for mayo. It's also a great source of protein.
    *Fruit is a snack not lunch. If I did this, I would be famished later and just eat everything in sight.
    *Exercise isn't necessary to lose weight. However, it makes it easier to get a calorie deficit when you are moving. Plus have you ever heard of skinny fat? One can be thin but not look good. You don't have power over how much you move when at work, but you can control your time not at work. Sorry I'm a firm believe that almost everyone can find the time.
    *Water is your friend. Would you rather eat or drink your calories? I used to be hooked on flavored creamer at 35 calories a tablespoon. I probably had 500 calories a day in creamer alone. You don't have to change it in one day but small changes.

I would suggest finding some websites that have healthy recipes that are satisfying. Yes you could have a chicken breast and broccoli for dinner, but there are foods that are savory and make you feel like you just splurged but are healthy. My favorite right now is skinnytaste.com

Again I'm not a pro just trying to share what I feel is important.
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    Yeah, I don't do anything fat-free and what not. They are all chemicals.

Our biggest issue is eating during the day in general. We have found most if not all bars like kashi and such have canola oil (which is nothing but artifical oil realistically), so what can we eat to replace it? I was considering making my own protein bars.

My question is these cheddar fries, here is the nutritional breakdown.
    They are about the size of a mini golf pencil.by the way as a reference point.

For 35 sticks (which I never eat, maybe half this)
    Cals: 130
    Cals from fat: 40
    Total fat: 4.5g (0.5 sat)
    Cholestrol: 0
    Sodium: 180mg
    Total carbs: 20g
    Dietary fiber: 1g
    Sugar: 2g
    Protein: 2g
    Vit c: 10%
    Calcium 4%
    iron: 2%

Also is the soy and almond milk + yogurt good for our diet? We bought one to try it, so it won't be a huge loss if not.

Would walking an hour a day help in the excerise area? We may not be able to do it every day, but maybe like 4-5 days a week (she has homework and such being in college as a grad student).

I would like to really just lose the fat and slim my thighs down.

How can we add more protein and fiber (what foods and liquids). Also what sweetener can we add the tea? Honey?

Once again, thank you for the help!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I can only really tell about what seems to work for me, but here goes!

Increase veg rather than fruit (veg is lower calorie as a rule).

If snacking is a weak point (it was for me), try to restrict eating to mealtimes, even if it means having bigger portions to start with. An advantage of sticking to three meals a day is that you tend to eat more healthily (well, I do, anyway) because you can see the balance of foods on your plate, and you get to eat more per sitting! (Others prefer to eat more often, though, it's up to you!).

Sports drinks aren't generally needed if you're not doing the type of exercise where you will be going for long periods.

Exercise for health, not weight loss. It can be broken up if you can't fit in long periods (e.g. ten minutes). Do some sort of resistance/strength training for muscle and bone health. This could just be bodyweight exercises - pushups, etc. Try not to sit for too long - find excuses to get up and move about.

It's up to you if you want to give up dairy and go veggie - you can lose weight without doing that, so it depends on whether you want to, and whether you feel it will make it easier or harder to stick to your diet. Veggie food can be high calorie (I have been vegan and vegetarian and I didn't lose any weight with either), whereas meat can be an easy way to get in protein, iron, B vitamins, etc.

Get used to portion size, and what a normal portion is, THEN if you're smaller or older or less active than average, understand that you need a smaller than normal portion. (I have got used to eating 50g of pasta now, but it looked small to me to start with!).

Be flexible. Don't see the occasional social meal with friends, birthday treat, etc. as a failure. Just keep on going.

Have a small deficit. In my opinion, it's easier to stick to. I read somewhere recently that people can stick to a deficit of 250 calories without too much trouble. This would be the same as setting your MFP goal for 1/2 pound loss a week. If you do this, be aware that with daily fluctuations, you often won't see any loss week to week. And also be aware that there isn't much margin for error (i.e. if you underestimate your intake or overestimate your output, you could end up cancelling out your deficit). However, I've lost my weight eating at a deficit of around 250 - 350 most of the time.

This is just the sort of things that worked for me, and I don't know your stats and how much you need to lose, so you might be completely different. Good luck!

ETA: with sweetener, I cut it down years ago and don't have anything sweet in coffee or tea. Just cut down by a little day to day until you don't need it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

For more information about fitness and nutrition, I highly suggest checking out and joining this group. Make sure to read all the stickies:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and TDEE so that you know where you should be aiming for with your daily calorie goal. Eating too little can be just as bad as eating too much. Eating small meals throughout the day can also help. Don't freak out if you go over your calories here and there. Don't deprive yourself either. Moderation is important. Fat (in food) doesn't need to be avoided. The body needs it. Drink water. Try to cut the sodas, sports drinks, energy drinks, etc. Coffee, teas, water - all great.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Also a couple of tips/info:

MFP is designed for its users to eat back their exercise calories. The formula can be found on the goals page. Also rely more on body measurements versus the scale as it is very unreliable due to food intake and water retention.

In regards to goals for lbs/kgs lost per week:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

And if you don't have a food scale - get one ASAP. While measuring cups are better than eyeballing portions, weighing food portions is much more accurate.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Calculate your BMR and TDEE so that you know where you should be aiming for with your daily calorie goal. Eating too little can be just as bad as eating too much. Eating small meals throughout the day can also help. Don't freak out if you go over your calories here and there. Don't deprive yourself either. Moderation is important. Fat (in food) doesn't need to be avoided. The body needs it. Drink water. Try to cut the sodas, sports drinks, energy drinks, etc. Coffee, teas, water - all great.

To add to this. If you decide to follow the TDEE method - realize that the # it gives you INCLUDES exercise calories.
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    Ok, so my basic idea for dinners is a meat (chicken, pork or turkey maybe veggie or soy burger), rice + 1 veggie(or mix) or no rice and a mix of veggies but I will look into this more. I think with almond/soy milk we will get more in the way of the health benefits - she likes greek yogurt, so she can keep eating that since it won't be a huge intake. My main issue currently is counting intake.

I am looking to lose about 20 pounds, I'm more concerned with the physical aspect over the weight. I am one of those "i'll do it..." and never do it people, so i need to be serious about this or it won't happen.

My fiance finds it hard to eat lunch because classes are long. How can she remedy this? She currently eats breakfast but that's where I suffer, because I tend to stay up late and get up late (another thing I'm going to nip in the butt).

My primary questions now are how do I increase my protein and fiber intake (what foods).

I appreciate all the tips. I know this won't be easy, but generally once I fall in line, I stick with things so it's just getting all the info.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You guys both need to fill in your day planners and plan what you will eat every day. It'll be different.

I would not make too many changes to be honest. Giving up dairy is counterproductive to my understanding, - calcium is known to bind with fat and lower fat absorbption, and its also very good for you. Things like edam cheese can be very satisfying and most of dieting is all about appetite control. Humans aren't designed to fight their own sense of hunger for long.

As such, not eating all day and then grazing after dinner doesn't sound too good, unless you have counted those calories and added them into a sensible plan.

Not that I'm one to talk. But my failures have taught me a few things:

1. eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and you won't be hungry after dinner;
    2. count absolutely everything I eat;
    3. work out how to satisfy my appetite. Lots of veges helps at dinner time.
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in benefits of soy or almond milk unless you can't tolerate lactose. Keep plain yogurts in, just regular ones, no fruits in it. Usually human body does not digest cow milk very well as it gets older, so if you have to have milk, use almond milk, or try camel or goat milk, they are easy to digest. I personally cut milk out completely, just use kefir or yogurts.

Don't go high on fruits, they are high in sugar. It is OK to have them everyday, but should use proper amount of servings.
    Add more veggies!
    No need for sport drinks. I don't use them unless I run more that 10K distance. You can add cut fruits in the water, lemon, mint, ginger, or whatever you like. I add even sliced cucumbers in the pitcher of water and drink it.

And most important -- stick to your plan!
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    The soy and almond milk have plenty of calcium and what not. They taste great too! I also don't like what is in the milk that you can't control, so with that I am being more proactive. I will probably adopt almond milk vs soy since large soy intake has been traced to some diseases.

Its difficult to plan meals because I dont have a schedule since I run my business so sometimes a schedule isnt possible but I will attempt to.

the grazing was a small small thing and will slowly stop remember this is day 2 but so far hasn't been too rough.

I am going to buy a scale so I can start being more diligent

the issue is going to come when we go out to a dinner or something no real way to know the content. Its a neccessary evil for our schedule though.

So are carbs bad or just caleries? I will be looking through the stickies tomorrow

anyway I will post aby more questions as I go

thank you
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some people are going to disagree with me, and that's okay. Losing weight is all about calories in, calories out, so there's no real "right" way to do it if your *only* goal is to lose weight.

*DAIRY -- I removed milk from my diet as well. I replaced it with Almond milk. The main issue here is calories. One cup of 1% milk is something like 100 calories, whereas a cup of Almond milk (my brand is Silk) is 30 calories. So far, no problems. Soy and Almond milks are usually fortified to have the exact same nutrients as normal milk, so you're not missing anything.

*FRUIT -- use a food guide for the servings of fruit you're supposed to eat. The Canada Food Guide is one such guide, I don't know if you have a local equivalent.

*PLANNING EATING TIMES -- I think this is too restrictive. Follow a general guideline if you absolutely must, but don't put concrete plans on when you should or should not eat. I feel that puts too much pressure on you. Besides, you should experiment with when and what you eat; some people find multiple small meals per day a lot easier.

*EXERCISE -- You don't have to do it. 90 pounds lost here, no exercise involved. That said, if you do want to exercise, you just have to make the time. "I don't have much time" is never a valid excuse. All the time you spend browsing the internet or watching TV can be cut. Believe me, you have the time, you just need to identify what useless activities to cut.

*HATES THE TASTE OF WATER -- I'm the same, I also don't like the taste of water. I can, however, stomach a glass of water before I leave in the morning and a glass when I come home. Keep in mind that you can hydrate in other ways - a lot of vegetables and fruit have high water content.
    There's nothing inherently unhealthy about diet drinks. Don't worry about "chemicals" and other nonsense - everything is made of chemicals. The problem with diet drinks comes from becoming desensitized to how sweet artificial sweeteners can be, leading to potential overeating of sweets if you can't control your urge to buy them in the first place.

*SPORTS DRINKS -- you probably shouldn't spend the money. They won't have any negative effects if you drink them, but you probably don't need Gatorade or anything similar if you're doing normal exercise. Gatorade is for athletes, first and foremost.

*VEGGIES -- It's always a good idea to eat more vegetables. Westerners eat too much meat as it is, so good on you for cutting down on meat. As far as "Hydrolized", do not be afraid of big words that you don't understand. Foods that contain hydrolized protein contain protein that are extracted from legumes and cereals. Basically, the protein is broken down into amino acids, which are then added to food to give it a savory flavor.

Overcount by rounding up the calories. For example, imagine that one of your veggie burgers is 280 calories. Count it as 300. Imagine that a piece of tuna you cook is 190 calories. Count it as 200. This will help you in the long run by having a small "extra" amount of calories, guaranteeing you lose weight.

Incorporate physical activity in your day slowly. Take the stairs, offer to run errands, stop using your car as much, etc.
    Every little bit counts.

Buy very low-calorie foods and eat a lot of them. I have a ton of food per day, despite only eating 1450 calories. I do this by buying very low calorie food and eating a ton of it.

Understand how food works. Protein is good for making you feel full. Vegetables, while very nutrient rich, don't keep you full as long (these are examples). In general, eat a balanced diet.

Eat breakfast. Can't stress that enough.

There is no such thing as an objectively "bad" food. For example, we often think of oil or fat as examples of things that you shouldn't eat, but they're actually good for you in small amounts. I recommend you spend some time talking to a dietitian or reading on the internet about nutrition.
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/carbs/simple-vs-complex-carbohydrates.html

2: Eating out is possible, just be smart about it
    First, many restaurants have nutritional information available, you just have to find it. If there's no nutritional information available, you are in trouble but you can still deal with it. Sometimes I go out to lunch with my family, and when I do it I usually assume the meal is about 2000 calories, and subtract 300 calories from each day of the week. This way, I can "make up" for the food I ate throughout the week without feeling hungry.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I use my planner two ways. I don't think I used it to its fullest potential last time I tried to do this, as this time it's working a lot better for me and I've only been doing it a week.

1. in advance, when I know I will be eating something. Eg today I knew I was going to MacDonalds so I worked out what I could have from there before I went. I organise my breakfast and lunch together with snacks in the morning, and then I know what calories I will have for tea, which help me choose what I will have.

2. in arrears, when I know what I've just eaten. I might have gone over on the day's budget but at least I know what it cost me for next time.

Every morning for ages I have had exactly the same thing to eat, and I'm finding that has helped me this time too. My stomach has got used to it. I used to find eating breakfast just made me hungry for the rest of the morning. My body's changed though, and after about a month it doesn't have that effect.
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    @Touji A few things: First thank you for a lot of helpful information. In regards to the hydrolyzed vs non...Many studies have come back to show these as bad and I know what the chemistry behind it is (I know more about the working of food than I really need to). - To be clear, no form of offense was intended in this, don't want to offend anyone.

I know for example that Gluten is formed by the bonding of gliadin and glutenin and that it is caused by the mixing of water into the flour (they are water soluble):) Cake flower is low in protein while bread flower is high in it.) But that is here nor there hehehe I just wanted to nerd out for a moment.

I will take the information you nice people have provided Keep the advice coming, I desire learning, Eating tips as in actual meals would be awesome.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

To add to this. If you decide to follow the TDEE method - realize that the # it gives you INCLUDES exercise calories.

Thank you ;-) I know I didn't really explain a thing - just threw out tips :P
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    I have updated my last 2 days. I have bought a few new things I found at this amazing place called trader joes:P
    - PS: I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS THAT MUCH SODIUM IN THE DINNER (some 500 caleries...pfft), THAT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN:((

Fluxseed with blueberries
    Many new foods with no nasty stuff
    Unsweeted tea that is actually good
    Apocryphal pita (any comments on these)
    Granola and the 3 berries (any comments?)

I also found these "goodness knows" stuff and they look really good nutritionally speaking (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/goodness-knows-snack-squares-nutty-apple-luscious-squares-44418848)

Also, have my breakfast for most days planned:
    * 2-3 scrambled eggs lightly salted
    * wholewheet english muffins
    * tea or the like

Any feedback you have to offer would be awesome! thanks!