Recovering from a very low calorie diet

Options
Hi guys,
So I put myself on a low calorie diet and I want to come off of it for various reasons and I just want some tips for those who have come off from a vlcd and didn't gain much weight back. I decided to speak to my doctor who told me that I should increase my calorie intake gradually ( by 100 calories every 3 days).
Other than that it wasn't much help. Anyone else come off a vldc successfully? Would you recommend exercising as I increase my calorie intake? I haven't been able to exercise on the low calorie diet as I felt a bit too weak to do so.

Please, I want helpful advice. If you're here to criticise then please don't bother.

Replies

• debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    How long were you on this diet and how low was your calorie intake? Did you lose weight?
  • Goalsoalgoals
    Options
    I took the opportunity of going on holiday, I ate pretty much what I wanted and after two weeks I had gained, according to the scales 9lb although most of it was water weight and 2 weeks later I'm back to my pre holiday weight. I eat about 1300 a day and excersize as often as I can and sometimes eat back those calories. I just did it in one big push, but increasing gradually might work the same.
  • Secretsundays
    Options
    I lost weight, definitely. Well, I was on the diet for probably 2 and a half weeks. My calorie intake was probably just under 900 calories (like 860) and sometimes it would be just under 800 calories (like 780). The reason I want to come off it is because I don't want to do any permanent damage. Before I used to have a problem with eating too much and now that I've learned how to control my eating, I want to eat at a healthy amount of calories. My BMR is 1800 and I don't like the idea of eating so few calories for a sustained period of time. Plus it really shocked me how much of an effect its taking on my body. I tried to go back to my normal exercise routine last week and I almost collapsed. Not just that but sometimes I get dizzy spells when I stand up (happened around 3 times) which never used to happen to me.

My doctor said that if I gradually increase my calorie intake then I won't gain the weight back. But I want some more info especially from those who have experienced this.
  • Archidion
    Archidion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Under 1200 calories a day you are putting your body in caloric deficit mode, and it starts to lower your metabolism. The best thing to do is follow your doctor's advice, and once you reach 1200, leave it there and start exercising. I used to eat 2000 calories a day without exercise and went to 1200 in one day, started exercising, and I have all the energy I need, but if I miss my lunch for 3-4 hours I can't even think straight, so I get why you can't exercise.
  • Secretsundays
    Options
    Under 1200 calories a day you are putting your body in caloric deficit mode, and it starts to lower your metabolism. The best thing to do is follow your doctor's advice, and once you reach 1200, leave it there and start exercising. I used to eat 2000 calories a day without exercise and went to 1200 in one day, started exercising, and I have all the energy I need, but if I miss my lunch for 3-4 hours I can't even think straight, so I get why you can't exercise.

Thank you.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I will never criticise you. I just wanted to tell you that in my opinion 900 calories is ok - not very low. I would say that 700 calories is what I would deem to be a fasting level. The best way to come back into the world is to establish your calorific maintenance level - that I would estimate to be about 1300 - 1400 calories?. Once you have calculated this then make sure that your daily intake of food is under that level - and you will definitely continue to lose weight.

The main thing is to remove the fear, the fear that you have harmed yourself and the fear that going forward you are going to regain the weight. This means that you have to focus upon what you are eating - and your portion sizes and you have to start doing some kind of exercise - suggest walking
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I will never criticise you. I just wanted to tell you that in my opinion 900 calories is ok - not very low. I would say that 700 calories is what I would deem to be a fasting level. The best way to come back into the world is to establish your calorific maintenance level - that I would estimate to be about 1300 - 1400 calories?. Once you have calculated this then make sure that your daily intake of food is under that level - and you will definitely continue to lose weight.

The main thing is to remove the fear, the fear that you have harmed yourself and the fear that going forward you are going to regain the weight. This means that you have to focus upon what you are eating - and your portion sizes and you have to start doing some kind of exercise - suggest walking

Good advise
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Yeah, just follow your doctor's advice and take good care of yourself and don't worry you'll be fine. :smile:

You'll know when you're ready to exercise because you won't feel weak anymore and will have regained some of your bounce.

All the best x
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

BMR is 1900. How in blazes is she supposed to maintain on 1400?!

OP: gradually increase your calories, like your doctor said. Don't weigh every day on the scale because everyone's weight fluctuates throughout the day and you may think you have suddenly gained weight when it's just water. Give it a couple of weeks or a month, then see how it is. If you are exercising, eat back those extra calories so your body will have enough fuel to function.
  • Secretsundays
    Options

Thank you very much for this.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    As many have mentioned, the advice of your doctor is what is best.

Two years ago I went on a low calorie intake (600-800 cal) 3 different times during that year and lost over 200 lbs. Under my Doctors care. I had blood work done every 3 months, I took a multivitamin, vitamin D, and calcium daily, recorded what I ate, making sure to keep my protein between 60-80 grams a day. I walked daily and never felt tired or run down. Of those 3 times, once was for 3 weeks, second was for 2 weeks, 3rd was for 5 weeks. after those times of 600-800 cal I increase my cal for several weeks after to 1000 then afterwards to 1200 cal. Watching your body respond to food/exercise and the types of food/exercise in relation to the scale teaches you a lot about yourself and your body. In doing so, once in maintenance you will know how much to eat and how much exercise that you need to maintain. During that year I experienced a stall of 6 weeks, and several plateaus of one week to a few days. I never harmed myself, I followed my doctor and did what I was to do to the letter. I would have to say.... gaining weight for me is defined by what I put in my mouth and the amount.. and what exercise I don't do.... plain and simple.
  • Secretsundays
    Options

Two years ago I went on a low calorie intake (600-800 cal) 3 different times during that year and lost over 200 lbs. Under my Doctors care. I had blood work done every 3 months, I took a multivitamin, vitamin D, and calcium daily, recorded what I ate, making sure to keep my protein between 60-80 grams a day. I walked daily and never felt tired or run down. Of those 3 times, once was for 3 weeks, second was for 2 weeks, 3rd was for 5 weeks. after those times of 600-800 cal I increase my cal for several weeks after to 1000 then afterwards to 1200 cal. Watching your body respond to food/exercise and the types of food/exercise in relation to the scale teaches you a lot about yourself and your body. In doing so, once in maintenance you will know how much to eat and how much exercise that you need to maintain. During that year I experienced a stall of 6 weeks, and several plateaus of one week to a few days. I never harmed myself, I followed my doctor and did what I was to do to the letter. I would have to say.... gaining weight for me is defined by what I put in my mouth and the amount.. and what exercise I don't do.... plain and simple.

Thank you.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options

^^^ This

And I will add that I did this as well, but took it a little further. (I did what you don't want to do and screwed up my metabolism on 300 cals a day for an extended period of time.)

What I would add...is if you can,manage it, don't get on the scale for a while. You might gain some weight. It will very likely be water weight, but if it isn't, that's okay too. You are aware, and that's the key. You need to give your body a month to respond to anything you change...if you're serious about losing weight, you need to understand that the small, sustainable changes are what will make the difference in the long run. And if you gain a few pounds, but are at a healthy deficit, it will start to come off again at the higher level once you body adjusts. Don't try to exercise if you don't have the energy. Add the exercise gradually like you're adding the calories gradually. You will get there if you are patient. And anyone here who has lost any amount of weight and kept it off will tell you that impatience is the way to long term failure.

I was also terrified of eating "so much" when I learned about BMR and TDEE.

To give you perspective, I am 5'4, 121lbs, and losing weight on a diet of 1800-ish calories. (BMR is 1300...)

Don't be afraid of food and weight...be afraid of ignorance and apathy. If you are accurately logging your food, and aware of your numbers (BMR/TDEE) and keeping a healthy deficit, the weight will come off.