Aspartame (Crystal Light, and other 'diet drinks')

Options
13»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Oh and truvia is supposed to be the "best" artificial sweetener. The stevia sweeteners are plant extracts with sugar alcohol added to "pad" them. These are the ones that are safe, per my pediatrician, to give to my toddler, and per my midwife, to drink while pregnant. Truvia is essentially dried stevia tea and sugar alcohol. Crystal Light used to have those water bottle flavor packets with stevia but I couldn't find them. I did find an off-brand powdered lemonade sweetened with stevia but it's in pitcher-sized packets.

you can buy them online but I cant find them in the store anymore either

http://shop.crystallight.com/Pure/pure,default,sc.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Int_eCom_Varieties-_-Pure Broad-_-pure crystal light

Whole foods has both Stevia water flavors and sodas made with Stevia.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Aspartame gives me headaches. I don't believe it gives you cancer and stuff like that but one glass of Crystal Light is instant headache for me. :(

This would be classified as a good reason to avoid products containing aspartame
    But not to go around all but knocking it out of other people's hands that don't have this problem (not that that's what she said at all, but there are people out there acting this way). By all means, if it's not good *for you*, avoid it. I don't drink alcohol, but I know it's perfectly fine for other people. I'm not going to s*** in other people's cereal about their daily glass of wine or two, so they can kindly do the same for me about my diet drinks! :drinker:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Aspartame gives me headaches. I don't believe it gives you cancer and stuff like that but one glass of Crystal Light is instant headache for me. :(

This would be classified as a good reason to avoid products containing aspartame
    But not to go around all but knocking it out of other people's hands that don't have this problem (not that that's what she said at all, but there are people out there acting this way). By all means, if it's not good *for you*, avoid it. I don't drink alcohol, but I know it's perfectly fine for other people. I'm not going to s*** in other people's cereal about their daily glass of wine or two, so they can kindly do the same for me about my diet drinks! :drinker:

Agreed 100%. Cheers!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I find water boring & add a diet Snapple packet in a water bottle once or twice a day. I don't feel anymore hungry & I have no idea what it's sweetened with. I don't drink diet soda so that's my treat. Everything in moderation.
    I make lemonade with Stevia. It's a natural alternative.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Personally I avoid the artificial sweeteners, aspartame has been shown to be carcinogenic. Plus I read a report last week showing that people are ending up with MS like symptoms and loss of use etc, and being mis understood by a lot of doctors as MS when the underlying problem is aspartame poisoning, and once the sweeteners had been removed from their diet, normal bodily function returned, but it's your choice... :wink:

Also sweeteners of any kind are acidic to the body's PH balance along with other chemicals that we use on a daily basis, and the body needs to naturally retain fat to neutralise them as fat is alkaline. This is in part why people that are dependant on meds really struggle with their weight...

Wow, the only crackpot theory you're missing is 'ASPARTAME IS CHANGIN' UR DNAS!!!'

As to it lowering your blood pH... If aspartame caused acidemia, you'd know it. Acidemia is something my friends in the medical field term "incompatible with life".

eta: its fine. Some people have allergies, and they should avoid it. Some people have PKU, and they should avoid it. If you do not, bottoms up.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Most of the sites out there about artificial sweeteners are either: a) run by the people who make the artificial sweetener, b) run by their competitor, or c) run by "natural health gurus" and have very little real science behind them. Also, these gurus are generally trying to sell a product of their own.

Splenda gives me migraines. So I don't use it.

Aspartame seems to have no effect on me whatsoever. So I use it.

Sugar makes me gain weight. So I try to avoid it where I can.

So that's what I go with. How I know things affect me personally. Let everyone else argue all day about what pumping mice full of artificial sweeteners does to them.

What bothers me is when things aren't clearly labeled. I think any product with an artificial sweetener should be clearly labeled on the box, can, whatever. For me, this is especially important with splenda as even one drink with splenda in it can knock me out for the day. It sucks. And since a lot of products that used to use aspartame have switched to splenda, I've often mistakingly ingested it and had a horrible headache afterward.

LABELLING is essential in my opinion. There is a petition to allow aspartame to be added to milk and not listed as an ingredient - but to be just considered a part of milk. I so much disagree with this. THEY can add it to milk if they want - but put it on the FREAKIN label.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I've read that aspartame can actually help store fat on your thighs/bum area.... Eeek!

Note to Self: Increase aspartame intake.
    is this the solution to my flat as a pancake butt??

tbh i'm really glad I cut out sodas, both diet & normal. I have two theories -
    1. the aspartame made me hungry
    2. the fizz makes my stomach hurt, which feels like hunger pangs, so I eat more

not sure which it is, but i'm happier without either way. *shrug*
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    LABELLING is essential in my opinion. There is a petition to allow aspartame to be added to milk and not listed as an ingredient - but to be just considered a part of milk. I so much disagree with this. THEY can add it to milk if they want - but put it on the FREAKIN label.

I think someone already posted this. I just love how the rumors spread on this site. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/aspartamemilk.asp
  • okolo
    okolo Posts: 24
    Options
    What's wrong with good ole cane sugar (yes natural good ole cane sugar) in moderation?
    Nothing
    Everything in moderation.
    If you choose engineered food - so be it, but nothing wrong with the food we ate 60 years ago ... moderation
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Basically, yes. Not everybody has bad side effects to things with aspartame. I also believe that people can eat/drink/do what they want. If something out there does have a million legit studies saying it causes cancer and somebody still wants to eat or drink it then I think it's their choice to do so. I just give my personal experience or opinion then let them choose what to do. I don't like people who shove things/opinions/choices down other peoples' throats.

Not to mention, I don't believe "studies say". I don't truly research it and read these studies but once upon a time LOTS of things were said to cause cancer and were gonna kill you because this and this study was done and now that you eat this you will DIE! And some of those things now are found to be healthy for you. (not to say that I think aspartame will ever be healthy for you but I don't think it'll kill you)
  • aldrmctchr
    aldrmctchr Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    where do you find the flavored stevias?