UK 5k Parkrun - anyone else just started?

Options
Well today I did my first ever 5k ParkRun in Eaton Park, Norwich. Actually it was more of a ParkWalk as I am so unfit.

My first goal is to build to running the whole 5k. As I have NEVER run that far (or anywhere near) before that's a fairly challenging goal.

Any of you out there doing the ParkRun? It would be great to hear how you started and what progress you made.

Replies

• coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've done it a couple of times- very new to fitness, too! I'm starting the C25K app this week as I really struggle at Park Run. My time is about 41 minutes- i'm quite sure I could walk it all in that time.
    I find everyone very supportive though- even very athletic people who complete it in < 20 minutes!
    Good luck with it- i've missed 4 weeks and feel a bit ashamed- definitely a brilliant platform to monitor progress without fitness :) x
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Well done on starting something this awesome :) As far as fitness is concerned, you'll get there. No one runs a marathon on their first day of running, everyone has to start somewhere
    I've been running for a little while now and would like to turn up to some ParkRuns in my university city (Leicester)
    Looking to here experiences too!

Good luck with your running, OP!
  • mrsweasley23
    mrsweasley23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just did my first one today. Waiting to find out my time, but think it was somewhere between 35 and 40 minutes. I was completely useless at running before the start of the summer (literally was dying after a minute or so), but did the C25K over the summer, which culminated in today's parkrun. I cannot recommend C25K enough. I found that by the end of it, my knees where starting to hurt, so I went to a running shop and got fitted for some proper running shoes. Definitely a good idea if you can afford it. Good luck with your fitness journey!
  • clmeg
    clmeg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can take part in this if you can't run very well?? (I'm very unfit and don't want to be laughed at or shamed... )
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can take part in this if you can't run very well?? (I'm very unfit and don't want to be laughed at or shamed... )

As far as I know, anyone of any fitness level can take part. Have you considered C25K? If I had've tried to run a 5K on day one I would've been very overwhelmed.

I know you get both kinds of people in any situation, but I'm relatively new to running, and in every experience I have had with a runner(s), they have been lovely. I don't mean to generalise...but runners are nice people :) I highly doubt anyone is going to judge you just because you're slower than them, they had to start somewhere, and you're doing something so good for your health and wellbeing. When I see someone else running, whether they're going faster or slower than me, I just think about how happy I am to be one of them instead of someone sat on the sofa wishing they were out running.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    You won't be laughed at or shamed. That is the great thing about Parkruns, you will find people of all ages and abilities at them. In general, my local one sees people finishing in times everywhere from 16 minutes to 50 minutes.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Some runs have a maximum time constraint for picking to the equipment etc, or at least they ask you to say if you'll be longer than 40 mins so they don't assume you've got lost or gone home.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one next Saturday. I've just signed up for a race of life 5k in a month's time so I thought it would be good practice. They look like a really good idea. I managed 5k on the treadmill today for the first time so keen to see how much harder I find it.
  • PatrickO2
    PatrickO2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I did my first one today. I walked most of it. I came last! But, everyone was very friendly and encouraging and I felt a sense of achievement.
  • PatrickO2
    PatrickO2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one next Saturday. I've just signed up for a race of life 5k in a month's time so I thought it would be good practice. They look like a really good idea. I managed 5k on the treadmill today for the first time so keen to see how much harder I find it.

Good luck with your first Parkrun and well done on your progress so far! Hope you have a great run.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you Patrick, same to you :-)

I did my parkrun this morning, came last but felt very proud for finishing it. I couldn't believe how friendly and supportive everyone was, I will definitely be going back. They seemed to go out of their way to be welcoming to the new runners, couldn't recommend it enough.
  • Geckoqueen
    Geckoqueen Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I did my first one today. I walked most of it. I came last! But, everyone was very friendly and encouraging and I felt a sense of achievement.

This was also my experience of my first Parkrun (I've done 2). Everyone is really encouraging. I was getting cheered as I was lapped.

I just starting Zombie 5k (similar to C25K) where I am walking a lot then running intervals to build up my running. I found it easy to incorporate this into Parkrun, you just have to be aware of other runners and ensure the pros can get past :)
  • McWooey
    McWooey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I work for a charity that works with Ethnic Minorities coming to live in our area, and last year for community relations week we partnered with our local park run to encourage EM communities to take part. for Community relations day we all trundled up to a special Park run and took part... I like to think i'm active, I gym 3-4 times a week and also get personal training... but I HATE running. I really struggled but was pleased to take part and did a walk/run for the whole 5 k, i continued to go for about 2 months but had to stop due to my PT session time being changed to the same time as the run. truth be told I hated running everytime and that's what held me back. lately in my PT my trainer has been encouraging me to build up my running and I can manage 10 minutes now without stopping... that may sound pathetic to you hardened runners but to me its an achievement especially as I find running boring. I'm determined to build up to about 15-20 minutes by the summer! and hope to get back to the park run at some point if my PT sessions time change again

well done to all who take part in the Park Runs... I think they're fab!