Hi from Turkey

Options
Hi everyone :)
This is my first post. I came across these forums while looking on google for body fat pictures.

I've just taken the first step towards fitness. I've joined a posh gym and pool at a hotel near my home and went today for my first session. Had to be weighed and measured and got body fat done. It was 34% :( which the man said was very bad. I'm about 5 foot tall and I weigh 70 kilos (154 pounds). Pretty poor...I used to be 130 pounds and would like to be about 120. Can't really even imagine weighing that little.

I live in Turkey and my Turkish isn't great, therefore the fitness instructor couldn't help me much or give me information (besides, he was busy flirting with some other slim girl working out). So I'm hoping to find a nice network of people here.

The guy said if I work at it, I should be able to get fit in 6 months. So I'm cutting down on alcohol and all the crap I usually eat and making the most of my expensive gym membership.

Replies

• melindatoomey3
    Options
    I am sure you journey here will be a successful one. I have recommitted myself to tracking what I eat...every bit that goes in my mouth honestly and this has been a great place to do that and I can't wait to use the info to make even more changes to get fit. Your gym sounds nice.....definitely make the most of it!!!
  • KintsugiCurlyQueen
    Options
    Merhaba Istanbullady :) Hosgeldiniz!

First off, search the forums for 'In Place of a Road Map' to understand the sciences behind how much you should be eating. The whole weight loss/fat loss thing IS a lot about diet (ahhhh, and in a country which loves its bread so much!!) so make sure you record everything you eat/drink - it's much easier to find ways of improvement when it's all written down, staring you in the face!

Cardio is good for getting both your weight and bf% down so the pool/cardio equipment at the gym will come in very handy BUT don't underestimate the power of strength training! Research some newbie lifting programs (New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts, etc) - they'll teach you how to use weights so your gym assistant can carry on flirting ;) (nothing new there!)

Best of luck with your journey! Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • istanbullady
    Options
    Thanks for the nice replies!

I'm lucky as there is a lot of cheap fresh fruit and veg here in Turkey but there is a lack of diet products that I would rely on if I were at home in the UK. They do love their bread here and to make it worse my boyfriend is moving in with me soon and we tend to have big breakfasts/go out for meals etc. I find it much easier to lose weight when I'm single and alone!
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi there ,
    I have been on mfp for nearly a month now & find it really useful . Using the logging system really has made a difference so I can still have bread ( which I love ) and when hubby cooks the breakfast I can still join him .my hubby & son like to eat out , I do go with them but peruse the menu to find one of the healthier option on offer & if I do slip up I know it's only one meal . ( this never used to happen before I started tracking & by now I'd be back to my old habits !!)