I've gained weight. Why? :(

Options
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask whether this is common - I've recently switched from an almost completely sedentary lifestyle (i.e. grad student sitting in front of computer all day) to a much more active lifestyle. I teach all week and have to walk all around a big campus and when I'm teaching I stand most of the time. Instead of losing or at least maintaining the same weight, however, I've gained 2 pounds and I also notice that my stomach is more bloated than before.

I didn't expect major changes of course, seeing that I haven't added exercise to my schedule yet, but I was just pretty shocked to find that I'm gaining weight despite not sitting for most of the day. Would any of you happen to have guesses as to why this might be?

Thanks so much, and all the best with your own weight journey.

Replies

• crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    PS. my diet is very clean, I'm vegetarian and almost all my meals are home cooked.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Could it be water retention? Are you drinking as much as you were?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Bloating? Time of month, or water retention...
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Are you sticking within your calories and how do you measure your portions?

I'm a vegi, thought that I was healthy until I actually accepted that my portions were to big. My kitchen scales are now my best friend.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian diet doesn't mean you're not eating too many calories. Accurately track your intake.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Do you track every bite you eat? Are you weighing and measuring your food? If you answered no to either of those questions, then the answer is that you don't know what you're really eating, so it could be that you are eating too much.

If you are doing the above, then it's probably sodium, bloating, hormones, TOM, etc.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Would any of you happen to have guesses as to why this might be?

If it's not water weight, TOM, or a medical condition......you ate too much.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your replies! I'll definitely start tracking, which I have done before and my diet hasn't changed. When I did track I was always a bit under the recommended calorie intake.

Water retention seems a very high possibility though, I haven't been drinking much so I'll definitely do more of that!

Thanks so much again all of you :)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your replies! I'll definitely start tracking, which I have done before and my diet hasn't changed. When I did track I was always a bit under the recommended calorie intake.

Water retention seems a very high possibility though, I haven't been drinking much so I'll definitely do more of that!

Thanks so much again all of you :)
    the recommended intake, at least as far as MFP is designed, is already at a deficit. Measure/weigh your food accurately and view that number as a goal.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No, you ate more due to your increased activity. Since you conveniently didn't track, we'll never know.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    also don't overestimate daily activity
    . sounds like your job is not dissimilar to mine. it isnt really that 'active' - maybe and additional hundred cals or so you're burning there.

as a vegetarian university lecturer, if i don't track calories and i dont workout, i dont lose.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    Options
    I didn't expect to lose, I was just surprised at the weight gain.

Anyway thanks for all your suggestions. I'm getting on it. :)
  • yllekyllek
    Options
    The body can fluctuate as much as 5 pounds during the course of the day. First, don't weigh yourself every day, and don't get excited over 2 pounds one way or the other; it's not enough to show a true change. Second, wiegh yourself at the same time each time, preferrably first thing in the morning after the body burns calories and sheds water all night.
  • dinglekerri
    Options
    2 lbs is not cause for concern. Could be water retention. Could be muscle development. Maybe you need to poop?
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would greatly increase my fiber---you probably have a little "back-up" going on in there. No worries--we all get it.