It's time to say hello...

Options
I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks, filling in my food diary and 'getting started'.

Now it's time to say 'hello' properly. I've been big all my adult life, veering from overweight to morbidly obese and back again... I haven't been a 'normal' weight since my early twenties. I've lost six or seven stones in the past (about 85-100lbs) and then piled them all on again.

I've always felt I needed the support of a group like Weightwatchers and would join up, stick to the plan all week, 'treat' myself big-time straight after weigh-in and then give up after a certain number of weeks or months. I'd lose weight, but regain it again super-quick.

This time, I want to do it by myself, for myself. I'm feeling more determined than I ever have in the past. As I get older, the effects of being obese are really beginning to show and I've realised that time is running out to do something about it! When I was younger, I always told myself that I'd do something about my weight 'tomorrow'. Now I'm in my late-fifties and I've run out of excuses!

Wish me luck everyone. I've been keeping my food diary for a couple of months now and am really pleased with my progress so far. It's going to be a while before I feel able to start any major exercise programme, but that day will come, too...

I'd love to make friends with others in the UK (or anywhere else!), particularly old gimmers like me!

Replies

• woollyideas
    woollyideas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Nobody has said 'hello' back to me! Meanwhile others have come on and said their first 'hello' and got fifty new friends.

Maybe I have BO?

...:laugh:

(needy...)
  • Alidawn2010
    Alidawn2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi xx
  • woollyideas
    Options
    Hi Aliphil. Thanks for responding :)
  • SunnyD0913
    Options
    HI!. Yes you can do this. I've tried WW before too. I don't like paying for someone else to tell me what I already know. EAT LESS, MOVE MORE! :huh:

Darla from Ohio
  • woollyideas
    Options
    You are so right, Darla. Also, I wonder if going to groups actually (subconsciously) makes you feel you can't do it alone and that you get a kind of co-dependency thing going. I know in the past I've given up after missing a meeting or two and thinking I've blown it. I just want to do it by myself this time.

Also, I HATE the artificially sweetened, polyunsaturated food they peddle!
  • Pequenalulu
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the MFP. I am new also. My goal is to loose 45lbs. I'm kind of nervous just because there's so much I have to learn. I am on a carb count, but I am motivated and active so now with a new mindset, I plan to do this. I say to you, no one deserves this more than you!!!!! So good luck and DO IT....you can!
  • woollyideas
    Options
    Hi Peque! Good luck to both of us!
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey woollyideas, I saw that you are from the UK in another thread, I'm from the UK also :) why "woolly" btw, are you a knitter? ;)
  • woollyideas
    Options
    Hi FeelingLessChubby, Yes, I'm a knitter and proud! Keeps my hands away from mindless eating in the evenings, too!
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to you...you come to the right place, I'm on here daily, please feel free to add me, I'm sending a request to you...good luck on your journey, the people here are very motivating????????
  • woollyideas
    Options
    Hooray! I now have seven new friends!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Hello... Good luck in your endeavors.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi FeelingLessChubby, Yes, I'm a knitter and proud! Keeps my hands away from mindless eating in the evenings, too!

Cool, I'm a proud knitter too, you go girl! :)
  • rabbit1057
    Options
    Good afternoon. I'm just seeing your post, logged on for a few minutes this morning before leaving out for a meeting. I would be happy to have a friendship with you with the hopes that we can encourage each other.
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I'm in my early 40s and I joined about a month ago, so far I am down 17 pounds since joining and 44 since my high weight last winter. This time is different as I was blessed this summer with sharing some painful traumas with someone and in the process started caring about myself. I also have been exercising lately, but over did it a little while ago, and now am taking a break as I got runners knee from walking too much, but I will get back to it.
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, it is a great tool to have, i have been on here for about 2 years now and it's a great nurition tool to me
    if you are looking for motivation and support, feel free to add me and let's get you started the right way

Chris
  • woollyideas
    Options
    Impressive weight loss, CoachChris. You look like you'd force me to get down the gym and start heavy lifting straight away! <tremble...>
  • SunnyD0913
    Options
    How is everyone doing?