is this true?

Options
I was told that your liver produces something (can't remember what it was they said) that makes it where only like 20 min of cardio is effective. If you do like 2 hrs of cardio it does nothing. Their example was "that's why you see the same fat lady on a treadmill for 2 hrs every day and she doesn't lose weight. You need more strength training then anything and you will still lose weight"

Is this true? I do a lot of cardio and so far I have lost a decent amount of weight, but I have been adding some strength.

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How many fat marathon runners do you see?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So who said this? Dr. Oz?
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I was at Chic fil a one day, and an overweight mom with a young child, was telling her child that after an hour on the treadmill, mommy deserved a milkshake. Chic fil a milkshakes are over 700 calories. She did NOT burn that many on the treadmill.

THIS is why you see fat women on the treadmill every day and making no progress. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    So who said this? Dr. Oz?

I'm on a parenting website and asked for exercise ideas and was told this. She says she knows a lot about exercise and weight loss so she knew what she was talking about. I didn't think it sounded right, especially since cardio is working for me. But I wondered if maybe the cardio was working since I am so overweight. (How they say its easier to lose a lot of weight in the beginning if you are overweight as opposed to if you are already in good shape)

But I'm glad this information was inaccurate. Lol. I like cardio more than strength training.
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    How many fat marathon runners do you see?

I didn't think of that! That's a very good point.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I think that it a bit off. With my injuries I can't get into strength training yet so I am stuck with calorie counting and cardio. I have lost 26 pounds in under 6 months, so I believe all my cardio counts.
  • TomDonis
    TomDonis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I walked 37km today over 7 hours and was 3kg lighter at the end of the day. I know a lot of that is water weight, but just saying that extended cardio does work. Take a look at my ticker below.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.

:flowerforyou: Truer Words were Never Typed!! I hope you know (and Don't Mind) I WILL Be Quoting this!!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You should still do strength training, though. Cardio only results in loss of not only fat, but lean body mass. If you do strength, the scale slows a bit, but you'll retain more muscle, more of your loss will be from fat, and you'll like the way you look better. But, yeah, weight loss ultimately happens in the kitchen.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.

I have to say I like this!!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of things. I have never heard that.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your liver:

>Works as part of your excretory system and helps to clean your blood
    >Produces bile which is stored in the gall bladder and released to the small intestine to keep it alkaline and help absorb of dietary fats (which your body needs)
    >Produces coagulants to help your blood clot
    >Stores Glycogen

and all this stuff.
    http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/the-liver-2013-an-amazing-organ-1.html

No, it does not keep your body from functioning naturally (eg. using fat reserves when your caloric expenditure exceeds intake)
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Strength training is also important for keeping muscle mass and for stronger bones. Doing a combination of both, is the best. IMO.
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    I have heard a lot of things. I have never heard that.

I thought it sounded off. I typically do at least 150 min of some kind of cardio a day and when I heard that I was like "so 150 min a day of exercise is doing absolutely nothing?" Lol
  • hisbeautifulangel
    Options
    Strength training is also important for keeping muscle mass and for stronger bones. Doing a combination of both, is the best. IMO.

I don't do a whole lot of strength, I don't really like it lol. But I do a 60 min video of the biggest loser workout and there is a good amount of strength training in it so I figure its better than not doing any strength lol
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    . Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.

I love your quote. I can walk a mile or so and burn 130 cals that is one slice of bread, not the iced lemon bread at Starbucks (430 cals)
  • kuroi19
    Options
    hisbeautofula in strength training it is popular to have short breaks in between high intensity workouts, and maybe in cardio it would work too, ya know instead of running consecutively for 2 hours, have 6x20 minutes with 5 minute breaks. Keeps the body at that hot burning state for longer so makes sense. But no your liver isn't making it harder for you.

I think if anything this site bases on the very true idea (forgotten after what the modern bs media stormed us with to make easy money on fitness) that calories=energy, limit them or get rid of that energy and your body has to pull from its own resources and eventually break down fat too. So according to this idea if I run for 20 minutes at the expense of energy, all the exercise after that doesn't burn any yet I still use energy to move... So does that suggest that after running 20 minutes we all become infinite sources of endless energy from God knows where? That could tackle the energy crisis!
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I was at Chic fil a one day, and an overweight mom with a young child, was telling her child that after an hour on the treadmill, mommy deserved a milkshake. Chic fil a milkshakes are over 700 calories. She did NOT burn that many on the treadmill.

THIS is why you see fat women on the treadmill every day and making no progress. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.

AMEN!!! Very well stated. I swim and run and am not over weight. I will exercise, at time, two hours at a time, but I don't then run to DQ to get a Blizzard. We can't outrun our forks.