Granulated sugar alternative for hot tea?

Options
I love sweet tea. However, I have gained all my weight because granulated white sugar is the only thing I can find that makes my tea sweet enough. Honey doesn't even cut it, and I don't want to replace sugar with artificial sweeteners.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You might try organic blue agave nectar. I use it in my coffee and like it. I buy the C&H brand at Wal-Mart.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You might try organic blue agave nectar. I use it in my coffee and like it. I buy the C&H brand at Wal-Mart.
    that's just another source of fructose, isn't it ? Out of the frying pan and into the fire......
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia?
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't want to replace sugar with artificial sweeteners.

Why?
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia?

My stomach does not agree with stevia at all. I get so much abdominal pain. I work better with splenda
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    A sugar packet has like...10 calories. Sorry to tell you, but that is unlikely why you gained all of your weight.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus=weight gain
    That must be some extremely sweet tea or you need to cut down on the calories somewhere else.
  • allycolli
    allycolli Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use stevia drops.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I used to love tea with 2 teaspoons of sugar, I just tried drinking it without the sugar and now I love it. Can't touch a cup of tea with sugar or sweetner in it, tastes soooo much better, you appreciate the flavour of tea way more.

You'll find the more sugar you cut out the less you will eat or add to things. I barely eat any now and get bad headaches when I eat anything that does have masses of sugar in!
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'd just keep the teaspoon of sugar. Enjoy it and look to reduce your food calories instead. I love my coffee and I use 1T light cream in it. Its 29 calories I thoroughly enjoy each morning and refuse to give up. For a sugar alternative I like stevia myself.
  • diet8486
    diet8486 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is extreme. One cup of my tea and sugar takes away all of my sugar allowance.
    I have a java cup for my tea and put about 3-5 tablespoons of sugar in it, to get it very sweet.
    I drink tea all day long and have been doing this for about a year. I didn't realize how bad it was for me until I joined this site.
  • almostperfect1on
    Options
    I use Stevia, it's a natural alternative to splenda, and it has 0 calories :)
  • diet8486
    Options
    Calorie surplus=weight gain
    That must be some extremely sweet tea or you need to cut down on the calories somewhere else.
    Yes, it is extreme. One cup of my tea and sugar takes away all of my sugar allowance.
    I have a java cup for my tea and put about 3-5 tablespoons of sugar in it, to get it very sweet.
    I drink tea all day long and have been doing this for about a year. I didn't realize how bad it was for me until I joined this site.
    [/quote]
  • diet8486
    Options
    A sugar packet has like...10 calories. Sorry to tell you, but that is unlikely why you gained all of your weight.

In one cup of tea I put in about 3-5 tabelspoons of sugar, and have been doing this for about a year.
    It might be a mix between the weight I gained from my pregnancy and my sugar intake.
  • whierd
    Options

In one cup of tea I put in about 3-5 tabelspoons of sugar, and have been doing this for about a year.
    It might be a mix between the weight I gained from my pregnancy and my sugar intake.

So 30-50 calories multiplied by the number of glasses you drink.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you can buy organic sugar that is unpolluted and not bleached. it usually has the same amount of calories though so if you intend to swap it for the purpose of weight loss rather than health, it probably would not help you much

you can try adding pure vanilla or cinnamon and/or squeeze some lemon in there, but again, you wouldn't be shaving many calories off this way.
  • whierd
    Options
    you can buy organic sugar that is unpolluted and not bleached. it usually has the same amount of calories though so if you intend to swap it for the purpose of weight loss rather than health, it probably would not help you much

you can try adding pure vanilla or cinnamon and/or squeeze some lemon in there, but again, you wouldn't be shaving many calories off this way.

Organic sugar can also contain impurities that white sugar does not. The "bleaching" process isn't actually bleaching at all, by the way. It is just the removal of the molasses from the sugar crystal.
  • aliciap412
    Options

Organic sugar can also contain impurities that white sugar does not. The "bleaching" process isn't actually bleaching at all, by the way. It is just the removal of the molasses from the sugar crystal.

you're right, its technically decolorized by filtration, but I put it in laymens terms. more processing means more pollution. sure, there is still some pollution in organic sugar, but there is *usually* much less depending on the quality of the particular plant and machinery used for its cultivation
  • whierd
    Options

you're right, its technically decolorized by filtration, but I put it in laymens terms. more processing means more pollution. sure, there is still some pollution in organic sugar, but there is *usually* much less depending on the quality of the particular plant and machinery used for its cultivation

Define polution? The refining process is there to take OUT impurities, not put them in. You can actually check the level of purity in sugar by finding it's ICUMSA number.
  • aliciap412
    Options
    the production of raw sugar uses less chemicals. raw sugar is pressed, and the juice is mixed with lime to remove impurities. less chemicals are used on it and added to it. not to mention the pesticide usage during the growth of sugar cane and sugar beets, which is strictly controlled for organic sugar.