Having a hard time to hit my protein!

Options
Hi guys !
Just started to use MFP and it works great! I've just recently been on a diet and started to bulking now, but i've seem to have problem hitting my protein (260g) for the day, i drink 4protein shakes per day and still i'm about 40-50g below my goal.
So if you guys have any tip on High protein meals, please share :)

Replies

• SwellyStyles
    Options
    What are your macros?? Overall goals would be helpful I never have a problem especially on a bulk LOL eating enough protein, 4 shakes is a little excessive!!! Frozen chicken, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meats, kashi cereal, tuna, salmon. Mann the list goes on! Tons of ways to get that protein.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I found hitting protein targets to be difficult as well. I'm at 35% now and I am pretty sure there are no shortcuts to this. The only way out is to learn to love protein food lol : tuna, shrimp, soy milk, cottage cheese, eggs, milk, turkey, chicken...

It did increase my frustration for a while because I couldn't eat anything I liked anymore (since everything is so carb heavy that it would make my macros unattainable), but after a week I got used to it and I don't mind throwing 100 grams of raw tuna into every meal...

I also baked some cookies and muffins with the protein powder. Also helps a lot and they're generally extremely easy to make (15 minutes baking included).
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    What are your macros?? Overall goals would be helpful I never have a problem especially on a bulk LOL eating enough protein, 4 shakes is a little excessive!!! Frozen chicken, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meats, kashi cereal, tuna, salmon. Mann the list goes on! Tons of ways to get that protein.

this^^ another one is oatmeal
  • Mcdonkey
    Mcdonkey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Here are my macros:
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 3,110 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 428 g
    Fat / Day 52 g
    Protein / Day 260 g
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    260g of protein? Why? Do you weigh like 500 lbs??

What did you use to calculate your macros because they all look off.
    Agreed 260 is very high
    As far as protein sources
    Tuna=28-32grams a can
    Chicken Breasts usually 300 grams (1 breast) 60grams
  • Mcdonkey
    Options
    I used iifym.com calculator
    Should be 206 and not 260 protein, my bad guys. i weigh 92kg (190lbs) so i use 2x2lbs protein formula
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    boil eggs by the dozens..and add boiled egg whites to every meal and snack..it can get boring..but just a few egg whites at every meal/snack adds up and gets you that much closer to goal w/o having to stomach yet another bite of high calorie/fat meat..if you're not worried about calories, cholesterol or fat..then eat the whole egg for additional protein..:flowerforyou:
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    IFBB pros do not have enough LBM to require that much protein. Your target is wrong.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I average right around 200g a day on far less calories than you (2200-2400 most days). Check my diary for ideas, though it's pretty basic. Eat lots of meat at every meal. I eat no less than half a pound of meat with every meal. No shakes. Crap, 4 shakes a day should get you over 200g right there, what on earth are you eating normally? ;)

Definitely re-examine your macros, your fats look really low (only 52g of fat out of 3100 calories? That's like 15%). I'd shoot for at least 20% fat as a bare minimum, if not 25%. Hell, I have mine set to 30% (though I rarely meet it, I end up around 25% most of the time).
  • Mcdonkey
    Options
    Thx will try that!
    What do you guys recommend are a good setup for macros whene bulking?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    IFBB pros do not have enough LBM to require that much protein. Your target is wrong.

I'm inclined to believe this as well.

I'm trying to lose fat and maintain muscle and target about 230g/day. I'm 6'3 and weight 290 lbs right now and total calories are usually around 2600.

Eating the same calories and upping protein, I'd say you need to whack your carbs down to about 300 or so and make up the difference in protein if you want to get anywhere near your goal. Shakes are not the way to do it, whole foods will help you out a lot more with one or two shakes to supplement them.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thx will try that!

In a surplus you can get away with slightly less protein vs being in a deficit.

I don't think you need to go over 1g/lb bodyweight and you can likely go a bit under it if you want, for preferential/performance reasons/etc.

A reasonable target, assuming your total energy intake is appropriate for your goals (you will have to verify this with your rate of weight gain):

3100 cals
    190p
    75f
    415c
  • Mcdonkey
    Options
    Thx will try that!

In a surplus you can get away with slightly less protein vs being in a deficit.

I don't think you need to go over 1g/lb bodyweight and you can likely go a bit under it if you want, for preferential/performance reasons/etc.

A reasonable target, assuming your total energy intake is appropriate for your goals (you will have to verify this with your rate of weight gain):

3100 cals
    190p
    75f
    415c
    Thx alot dude :)
  • babychris1
    babychris1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great thread, I'm 2 months into lifting and currently bulking at the moment. Feel free to add me!
  • susan420
    Options
    My favorite is 2 cans of tuna with a little cheese and wash it down with a big cup of water.........Good energy from that. plus over 45-50 grams of protein right there.
  • Mcdonkey
    Options
    Great thread, I'm 2 months into lifting and currently bulking at the moment. Feel free to add me!
    Added!
  • Mcdonkey
    Options
    My favorite is 2 cans of tuna with a little cheese and wash it down with a big cup of water.........Good energy from that. plus over 45-50 grams of protein right there.

will try that ! Thx alot!
  • M1KEEC
    M1KEEC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thx will try that!

I'm clean bulking on 3000 cals at the moment

Protein 190g 1lb per body weight = 760cal

Fat 95g 0.5g per body weight = 855cal

And the last 1345 as carbs which works out at 336g iv only been on my bulk for a week so I'm sure it will need adjusting come weigh in.
  • Mcdonkey
    Options
    Thx will try that!

I'm clean bulking on 3000 cals at the moment

Protein 190g 1lb per body weight = 760cal

Fat 95g 0.5g per body weight = 855cal

And the last 1345 as carbs which works out at 336g iv only been on my bulk for a week so I'm sure it will need adjusting come weigh in.
    [/quote

Cool ! Thx bro!