Distraction Techniques

Options
I've been practicing my distraction techniques over the last few days and I have to say that I'm finding it soooooooo much easier at work than I am at home. Not sure if it's because I'm always busy at work and it's easier to put jobs off at home. Gonna have to work especially hard over the coming week to see if I can crack it.

Replies

• Bonnie555
    Options
    I soooooo hear you. I sometimes hate keeping busy at home, especially if I have had a busy week at work, but if I don't then I find my hand in the cookie jar.

One thing that has been working for me is the timer - I am working on a distance education course (whic this has also helped me focus on this course also) I set the timer for 1hour and work on my course at the end of that hour I take a break, reset the timer for 30 minutes and do stuff around the house. It has two benefits and I find I am not reaching for the munchies all that often.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    At home is definitely the hardest and what works for me is to not have any processed, junk food in the house. I realize that is not always an option for everyone, but if you can limit what you have, it is helpful. That way when I open the pantry/refrigerator, I either eat healthy or I don't eat. Easier said than done, as I have been known to over indulge on the peanut butter when desperate!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    At home is definitely the hardest and what works for me is to not have any processed, junk food in the house. I realize that is not always an option for everyone, but if you can limit what you have, it is helpful. That way when I open the pantry/refrigerator, I either eat healthy or I don't eat. Easier said than done, as I have been known to over indulge on the peanut butter when desperate!

I agree with Holton. When I go food shopping I try to avoid buying anything that I know I might splurge on. I also stock up on lots of fruit and healthier options.
  • DebbiePulford
    Options
    Having a healthy kitchen is a great idea in theory, but unfortunately when you have young children in the house, it's not always practical. Gonna give the timer idea a whirl though... hadn't thought about that! :happy:
  • BellaCoconut
    Options
    I totally agree with above comment, keep the fridge and cupboard free of junk, sweets ...maybe even the peanut butter :wink:

A tip i have heard of is if you must have snacks about the place, put them inside brown paper bags- out of sight, out of mind! Also, you could have snacks in one specific place, say an opaque plastic container with a lid (so you can't see them) , and then put them up and away somewhere thats a challenge to get to (top of the cabinet for example)....it sounds silly, but a lot of what stimulates appetite is visual, so if you can't see it, you won't think about eating it.......thats the idea, anyway!:flowerforyou:
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Having a healthy kitchen is a great idea in theory, but unfortunately when you have young children in the house, it's not always practical. Gonna give the timer idea a whirl though... hadn't thought about that! :happy:

I have a 4 year old boy. I try to buy snacks that he likes, but arent particulary my favorite. This way I wont be as tempted to eat them. For example, I avoid buying oreo's, cause I know most likely I'll end up eating the majority of the package. Instead I get him the kids flavored yogurt or fruit cups, jello, fruit snacks etc. Things that wont tempt me! Of course you cant avoid everything you like without depriving your child of their snacks, but thats where a little bit of will power comes in! I also try to get him to eat some of the healthy snacks I like. He loves red seedless grapes with cottage cheese (one of my favs), fruit & yogurt parfaits, fruit smoothies, apples or banana's with peanut butter to name a few.