Why are US meal portions so big??

Options

Replies

• sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Because she is one of my friends on here and was entirely unnecessary for you to talk trash about her picture because she posted a link to an article you disagreed with. How old are you, 13?

Dear MB

Actually I am on the same page with otterluv as regards the article. Again, if she is not offended why do you take offence on behalf of others,

Ummmm, I was full o'crap when I posted that. It was really just the most ridiculous thing that I could come up with, I didn't actually expect to be taken seriously.

ETA: I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories. Like, at all.

It's not a conspiracy theory to say that fast food (aka JUNK food) contains nothing much that does the body good. You know about nutrition, so why is it that the High Streets are full of franchises for big fast food companies, why are they not full of green grocers and wholefood shops? By the way, you have some very loyal friends taking offence on your behalf, I hope I haven't offended you, I really am in awe of you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Because she is one of my friends on here and was entirely unnecessary for you to talk trash about her picture because she posted a link to an article you disagreed with. How old are you, 13?

Dear MB

Actually I am on the same page with otterluv as regards the article. Again, if she is not offended why do you take offence on behalf of others,

Ummmm, I was full o'crap when I posted that. It was really just the most ridiculous thing that I could come up with, I didn't actually expect to be taken seriously.

It's not a conspiracy theory to say that fast food (aka JUNK food) contains nothing much that does the body good. You know about nutrition, so why is it that the High Streets are full of franchises for big fast food companies, why are they not full of green grocers and wholefood shops? By the way, you have some very loyal friends taking offence on your behalf, I hope I haven't offended you, I really am in awe of you.

False. They contain carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. All of which does the body good. And often are garnished with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, etc.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Dear MB

Yes, I really do have some wonderful friends.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    By the way, you have some very loyal friends taking offence on your behalf, I hope I haven't offended you, I really am in awe of you.

Thank you for noticing that people like me were not trying to be jerks, just taking care of our friend.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Dear MB

Otterluv has many friends defending her because she is chock full of AWESOMENESS. :drinker:

Maybe next time you are attempting to express awe with someone's accomplishments, you can refrain from using an insult and try using a compliment...perhaps we all won't get so confused by your reply.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've just returned from a holiday in California and was amazed at the portion sizes on all the meals I had when eating in restaurants.

It's to make up for the calorie labels they put on food in grocery stores. So far this week I've seen the nutritional content of a package of hot dogs expressed in "1/3 of a hot dog" serving size and hamburgers buns expressed in "2/5 of a bun" serving size.

What brands expressed serving sizes in those ludicrous servings?

Don't remember the bun vendor, but the hot dogs were "Harvest Bavarian Sausages".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Dear MB

Lol - argues its not a conspiracy theory by insinuating a conspiracy.

Also, Cr@p apology. Rude is rude. You had no idea how she was going to take it.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Things I have learned from this thread:

Otterluv is awesome. (Although I had previously suspected as much.)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I miss the bigger portions in the US. I live in Canada and the portions are much smaller. I don't go out to eat as much anymore, because what is the point of paying a bunch of money for meal, only to be hungry when I leave. This is especially the case for my husband, a former football player who has a big appetite. I feel like I'm not getting value for my money with small portions. And no one said you had to eat it all. In the States, doggy bags are common. So you go out to eat and have lunch or a snack for tomorrow. I think only once have I had a doggy bag in a Toronto restaurant and that was because I wasn't very hungry. I have never been to Europe, but my husband's cousin visited us when we lived in NY from England and she was disturbed by the portions at IHOP, it turned her off and she left most of her food. We on the other hand ate our food and personally I didn't need to eat anything else until dinner.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Dear MB

For the record, I am friends with Otterluv however I would react the same if you had posted about any random user that I had need seen before. This is a fitness/health site, making comments like that is not ok (and as Joy pointed out, against CG) whether the person you direct to is offended or not.
    Whether otter was offended or not I don't know, but just because she took the high road and did not attack back does not mean your comment wasn't offensive.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

i'll bet a Big Mac in the UK is exactly the same size as a Big Mac in the USA, but of course that'll just be dismissed as the exception that proves the rule... :facepalm:

Nope. US (and Canada) Big Macs have about 50 calories more than UK Big Macs, according to Mcdonald's website(s). Curiously, the UK Big Mac has twice(!) the sodium.

Clearly, the products are somewhat customized for local preferences.
  • sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    False. They contain carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. All of which does the body good. And often are garnished with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, etc.
    [/quote]

Dear whierd, erm, I don't want to offend you (really I don't) but if you think a big mac and fries is good food, and you also think that fat people are greedy, well, I despair.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Did you happen to pick up your souvenir bumper sticker while you were here? We have some really cool ones that say ,"Welcome to California...now go home."
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i'll bet a Big Mac in the UK is exactly the same size as a Big Mac in the USA, but of course that'll just be dismissed as the exception that proves the rule... :facepalm:

Nope. US (and Canada) Big Macs have about 50 calories more than UK Big Macs, according to Mcdonald's website(s). Curiously, the UK Big Mac has twice(!) the sodium.

calorie counts =/= portion sizes

1 cup of 1% milk has fewer calories than 1 cup of 2% milk. identical portion sizes.

let's see some data about the bun diameters of Big Macs between the USA and UK! :tongue:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's a conspiracy by Big Pharm. They are in cahoots with the restaurant industry (and in effect, bit ag) to make us ever fatter, ensuring a continuous market for their products. Do we really believe that with all of the advancement in pharmaceuticals that there is no cure for obesity? It's not in their best interests to have a healthy public.

Here is a really good article:
    http://bigthink.com/in-their-own-words/the-obesity-conspiracy

otterluv, you are awesome. love your bingo wings, X X X

You are well out of line. I don't actually know otterluv, but making disparaging comments about a person's appearance is as inappropriate and unwelcome here as it would be in person. Your rudeness is offensive.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Dear whierd, erm, I don't want to offend you (really I don't) but if you think a big mac and fries is good food, and you also think that fat people are greedy, well, I despair.

What specifically is bad that is in a big mac?

Edited to fix quotes
  • whierd
    Options
    I've just returned from a holiday in California and was amazed at the portion sizes on all the meals I had when eating in restaurants.

It's to make up for the calorie labels they put on food in grocery stores. So far this week I've seen the nutritional content of a package of hot dogs expressed in "1/3 of a hot dog" serving size and hamburgers buns expressed in "2/5 of a bun" serving size.

What brands expressed serving sizes in those ludicrous servings?

Don't remember the bun vendor, but the hot dogs were "Harvest Bavarian Sausages".

I'm assuming that they were one of those large ring sausages, correct? Yeah, a third of a sausage would be appropriate in that situation. And hot dog =/= sausage. :tongue:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1 cup of 1% milk has fewer calories than 1 cup of 2% milk. identical portion sizes.

let's see some data about the bun diameters of Big Macs between the USA and UK! :tongue:

Cadbury's Creme Eggs are smaller in the US.

Random fact!
  • whierd
    Options

[/quote]

Dear sparks, I could care less if I offend you, but I suggest taking a basic nutrition course if you think of foods in terms as simplistic as "good" and "bad".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options