Why are US meal portions so big??

Options

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Americans are gluttons, largest houses, bathrooms, yard, pool, and yes food too. It goes hand in hand with having so much land space, we are still like spoiled children compared to other world nations.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I sort of like the big portions. I usually get to take home half of my food and make another meal out of it!
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Boy have I opened a can of worms!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

i'll bet a Big Mac in the UK is exactly the same size as a Big Mac in the USA, but of course that'll just be dismissed as the exception that proves the rule... :facepalm:

Nope. US (and Canada) Big Macs have about 50 calories more than UK Big Macs, according to Mcdonald's website(s). Curiously, the UK Big Mac has twice(!) the sodium.

Clearly, the products are somewhat customized for local preferences.

calorie counts =/= portion sizes

1 cup of 1% milk has fewer calories than 1 cup of 2% milk. identical portion sizes.

let's see some data about the bun diameters of Big Macs between the USA and UK! :tongue:
    Thickness matters too. Just sayin'. <insertcreepycougarsmilehere>
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with my friend. My favorite burger place only serves 1/2 pound hamburgers, well I'm sorry but I don't really want to consume 8 oz of your 70/30 ground beef but I might settle for a splurge of a 1/4 pound hamburger.

My friend said why don't you just eat half.. well I don't like to re-heat burgers so it seems like a waste to throw away half the burger so I just don't order it..

But for goodness sake, bring back the 1/4 pounder!!

ha ha maybe I'll just cut the patty in 1/2 side ways... I'll look like a doof but I'll save hundreds of calories!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Americans are gluttons, largest houses, bathrooms, yard, pool, and yes food too. It goes hand in hand with having so much land space, we are still like spoiled children compared to other world nations.

Yeah, we should totally apologize for having so much land and such large houses and bathrooms.
  • realme56
    Options
    I sort of like the big portions. I usually get to take home half of my food and make another meal out of it!

I don't care for leftovers much and I cook quite well. When I go out with my daughter we often split meals to keep our intake reasonable. I loved the food in Europe, especially Scotland (weird but true) and Italy. Ate lots of bread, wine but walked and walked and still lost weight while there.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    The meals are larger because the market responds to what the consumers want,

Agree. For some reason over the years getting higher quantities of food for lower prices has become the marketing ploy here. I mean it is like the greater quantity of food you can get, the better deal you appear to be getting. It became popular with the dollar menu back when. When I went to Morocco with my family it was such a difference to see how their vegetables were the majority of the diet with some protein and you could not really find processed foods where we went. Much healthier way of eating.
  • realme56
    Options

Yeah, we should totally apologize for having so much land and such large houses and bathrooms.

I both love and hate watching the shows where Americans are looking for places in Rome, Paris, London...... the whole apartments are as big as a persons one room sometime.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What I found quite interesting after a recent trip to North America is how "in your face" all the fast food chain restaurant signs are! No avoiding dunkin donuts, Macdonalds, Wendy's etc etc...HUGE signs everywhere...it made even this non-junk food loving Brit's mouth water....honestly, imho, with such huge signs the average junk-food loving person dosnt stand a chance!!

Because signs have hands and grab you and force feed you food????? I'm sorry....I don't get the connection. Small signs, big signs, North America, Britain.....we all have free will and can choose what we eat.

it is all about choices. I recently watched "Supersize Me" which blamed McDonalds for piling pounds on people. Sure, you will gain weitght if you go and order the largest of everything. But I have had McDonalds twice this week, and ordinarily will have it or something similar about once a week. And I am slim. Because I make informed choices that will fit into my nutrition plan. This morning, I could have had the Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit (love biscuits!!) But instead I had the egg white delight. Not becuse I prefer it, but because I know it is a better choice nutritionally. So dont complain to me if you gain weight eating the biscuit. No one made you choose that!

As I watched "Supersize Me"" I was appalled at the lack of INDIVIDUAL accountability. One girl complained that she could not lose weight because she could not afford to eat subway for every meal. Really??? Why not try going to the grocery store for some low fat ham and whole grain bread and make your own sandwich. It wil be CHEAPER and Healthier.

Yes there are some really large portion sizes, but as pointed out, more upscale restaurants have smaller portions. The last time I went to a certain restaurant in my city and paid $24.00 for a piece of salmon that was probably 2 inches square and 4 green beans, I left hungry and mad. Wont be going back there. I would rather have more food, and have the option of taking it home or sharing any day.
  • sparks787
    sparks787 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    False. They contain carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. All of which does the body good. And often are garnished with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, etc.

Dear whierd, erm, I don't want to offend you (really I don't) but if you think a big mac and fries is good food, and you also think that fat people are greedy, well, I despair.

Dear sparks, I could care less if I offend you, but I suggest taking a basic nutrition course if you think of foods in terms as simplistic as "good" and "bad".
    [/quote]

Dear whierd, oh, where to start.... Do you always have to be right? All I know is that I was clinically depressed for 10 years, I ate loads of fast food and refined carbsand I gained weight rapidly. Changing diet has changed everything,energy, mood, motivation, and eating fresh veg & fruit every day is better than processed stuff
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Otter is awesome...my 2 cents.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Boy have I opened a can of worms!

Lack of exposure to other cultures is one of the causes of xenophobia.

No biggie.

I've run into the type all over the world and you all never surprise me.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    where did you go because usually when I go out the plate is small and the price is large?? :indifferent:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    False. They contain carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. All of which does the body good. And often are garnished with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, etc.

Dear whierd, erm, I don't want to offend you (really I don't) but if you think a big mac and fries is good food, and you also think that fat people are greedy, well, I despair.

Dear sparks, I could care less if I offend you, but I suggest taking a basic nutrition course if you think of foods in terms as simplistic as "good" and "bad".

Dear whierd, oh, where to start.... Do you always have to be right? All I know is that I was clinically depressed for 10 years, I ate loads of fast food and refined carbsand I gained weight rapidly. Changing diet has changed everything,energy, mood, motivation, and eating fresh veg & fruit every day is better than processed stuff
    [/quote]

Dear sparks, only when other people are wrong. It is a huge burden to bear having to be always right, but someone must shoulder it and my shoulders are huge. There is room enough for both the burden of being right and the chip that is ever present.

That being said, you did not gain weight because you ate loads of fast food and "refined carbs", you gained weight because you were overconsuming calories on a regular basis. I am happy that you are now doing better with your depression and eating fresh fruits and veggies. I, myself, plan to enjoy a spinach salad with tomatoes, mushrooms, and fresh fruits here shortly.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

[/quote] Dear wheird AND sparks...get a room
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    yes we americans like big things #dirkdiggler #kimkardashian #dollyparton
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    obesity in the US is 32% and the UK is 26%

Not too much of a difference. Please get off your high horse
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    What I found quite interesting after a recent trip to North America is how "in your face" all the fast food chain restaurant signs are! No avoiding dunkin donuts, Macdonalds, Wendy's etc etc...HUGE signs everywhere...it made even this non-junk food loving Brit's mouth water....honestly, imho, with such huge signs the average junk-food loving person dosnt stand a chance!!
    I've lived in North America my whole life... it's not like that everywhere. Where I live, there are laws specifically disallowing such a practice. the US is a *huge* place. Did you visit the whole thing, or make your inaccurate generalizations based on a few random cities?