How to increase calories eating lean??

Options
I'm struggling to reach my calories! I'm eating very lean high protein and low fat foods. Eating much fat makes me ill literally so I cut down on fat and eat veggies and protein. But I'm struggling to eat all my calories since um lifting 3X week en 2xcardio. How can I increase my calories? I'm trying to lose 22lbs but scale isn't moving I think coz of weight training but body composition is getting better. I'm 27, 142lbs trying to get to 126lbs

It also doesn't help that I don't get hungry at all sometimes I force myself to eat because I have to and I drink loads of water which contributes to feeling full with proteins...

What veggies have higher calories that I can incorporate to my meals?

Replies

• aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    what about nuts and seeds? high caloric content and nutrient dense
  • aliciap412
    Options
    ah sorry you said too much fat is making you ill so nuts may not help.

can you tolerate beans, corn, or potatoes? all are higher in calories than most veggies.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible with carbs! Once I start eating them I don't stop! Rice, bread potatoes especially potato salad! Other day I finished a loaf of bread with peanut butter and jam I just cudnt stop eating! Its easier to eliminate them until I can learn to discipline myself...
  • aliciap412
    Options
    are you sure that its fat making you ill and not something else? why did you conclude that fats are making you ill?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to reach my calories! I'm eating very lean high protein and low fat foods. Eating much fat makes me ill literally so I cut down on fat and eat veggies and protein. But I'm struggling to eat all my calories since um lifting 3X week en 2xcardio. How can I increase my calories? I'm trying to lose 22lbs but scale isn't moving I think coz of weight training but body composition is getting better. I'm 27, 142lbs trying to get to 126lbs

It also doesn't help that I don't get hungry at all sometimes I force myself to eat because I have to and I drink loads of water which contributes to feeling full with proteins...

What veggies have higher calories that I can incorporate to my meals?

Fats, in and of themselves, should not be making you ill. It could be the "types" of fats, however. I know a few people who get nauseous from eating too much fried food, for example. But dietary fat is incredibly important to your body. It helps regulate organ function, hormone production, and cellular function.

Cutting too much fat from your diet will make you ill.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Fat is needed for healthy brain function as well. And full fat food tastes better :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your making yourself ill by not eating enough variety in your diet we all need Carbs, fats and Proteins. Also by not eating enough to fuel your exercise that will make you feel ill. Go for some healthy fats in Nuts avocados and a little olive oil
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    According to your diary you ONLY eat meat and dairy (with the exception of some veggies today, the first time in a week). Are you logging everything, or eating other foods that you haven't been logging? I'll assume your log is accurate.

You need to eat a lot more carbs, bodies need carbs, it's in the owner's manual. Yes, there are some carbs in the dairy. You need a lot more. Humans really should be getting at least 120 grams of carbs per day. High fiber ones are best: brown rice, whole wheat bread, other whole grains (pick your poison: barley and quinoa are both easy to find. Barley is crazy cheap.) Don't know where you live, but whole-wheat pasta is getting VERY easy to find, and is super healthy. Beans are a good source of carbs. Sweet potatoes are super-healthy. But even regular potatoes are great: full of potassium and vitamin C.

Spread your carbs out over the course of the day, don't eat them all at once. This will help minimize blood sugar spikes.

Also, you're going to get scurvy if you don't eat a little fruit or do something to get some vitamin C. Fruit is good for you. PLUS IT HAS HEALTHY CARBS.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If your body composition is eating better why don't you just continue what you're doing? Does the number on the scale really matter if you look good?
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    According to your diary you ONLY eat meat and dairy (with the exception of some veggies today, the first time in a week). Are you logging everything, or eating other foods that you haven't been logging? I'll assume your log is accurate.

You need to eat a lot more carbs, bodies need carbs, it's in the owner's manual. Yes, there are some carbs in the dairy. You need a lot more. Humans really should be getting at least 120 grams of carbs per day. High fiber ones are best: brown rice, whole wheat bread, other whole grains (pick your poison: barley and quinoa are both easy to find. Barley is crazy cheap.) Don't know where you live, but whole-wheat pasta is getting VERY easy to find, and is super healthy. Beans are a good source of carbs. Sweet potatoes are super-healthy. But even regular potatoes are great: full of potassium and vitamin C.

Spread your carbs out over the course of the day, don't eat them all at once. This will help minimize blood sugar spikes.

Also, you're going to get scurvy if you don't eat a little fruit or do something to get some vitamin C. Fruit is good for you. PLUS IT HAS HEALTHY CARBS.

Also this. You can't survive on meat and dairy alone.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

^Please stop this craziness. You might be fine eating a ton of carbs based on grains and sugar (inc fruit) but you do not represent everyone. The above is the worst possible advice for anyone with metabolic disorders (which include excess fat storage!). Also, vegetables have vitamin C too, and everything else that fruit has, but less of the sugar. Moderate amounts of carbs from vegetables are absolutely beneficial for health. A few daily servings of fruits are great too, keeping in mind that for certain people the fructose does matter.

OP: as mentioned by others above, you need fat. Natural fats (not refined seed and legume oils such as canola and soy) ARE healthy. So, adequate meat, fat and veggies = a healthy body and mind.
  • Morn66
    Options
    If fat is truly making you ill (and what kind of ill are we talking about here?), then you likely have an issue with your gallbladder. If you do, eating less/little fat is not going to fix the problem; it's only going to make it so that you don't feel any symptoms while the actual problem itself worsens. See a doctor and have your gallbladder/liver function checked. (I say this as a person with a liver condition, mind you.) If a gallbladder issue is ruled out, then I'd be willing to bet that the "fat illness" is psychosomatic. As in, "OMG! I just ate a crap-ton of fat! I should feel horrible!" And, bazinga! You feel horrible. The mind is an amazing thing.

Beyond that, like others have said, you need fat. And carbs. Cutting out entire food groups is not healthy. It is ESPECIALLY not healthy to do the low-carb thing if you do indeed have a liver condition (which is not always but often lurking behind gallbladder issues). Please see a doctor, if you haven't already gotten a doctor's OK, before you continue to eat this way.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

^Please stop this craziness. You might be fine eating a ton of carbs based on grains and sugar (inc fruit) but you do not represent the majority. The above is the worst possible advice for anyone with metabolic disorders (which include excess fat storage!).

OP: as mentioned by others above, you need fat. Natural fats (not refined seed and legume oils such as canola and soy) ARE healthy.

Actually, the majority of people DO need to eat carbs. Maybe not a ton, but they are important for proper body function. The brain especially needs glucose.
  • cherriegh
    Options
    I feel extremely nauseas if I eat fatty food, I don't like avocados and I'm allergic to nuts. I have oily skin and my dermatologist recommended I cut down fat and it has helped big time! I can't eat a fried egg I immediately feel like throwing up!

I'd incorporate more healthy carbs like brown rice but I'm scared I loose control when I start eating carbs I overeat I just need to train myself...

Is it too bad if I get enuf protein but not high calories? I don't feel ill eating this way and I don't feel tired at all and I always feel full....I was concerned my calories are low
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

^Please stop this craziness. You might be fine eating a ton of carbs based on grains and sugar (inc fruit) but you do not represent the majority. The above is the worst possible advice for anyone with metabolic disorders (which include excess fat storage!).

OP: as mentioned by others above, you need fat. Natural fats (not refined seed and legume oils such as canola and soy) ARE healthy.

Actually, the majority of people DO need to eat carbs. Maybe not a ton, but they are important for proper body function. The brain especially needs glucose.

Anyone who eats vegetables gets enough carbs. Everyone should be eating some vegetables, so would then be eating carbs. However, carbs are the ONLY macro that is NOT necessary in order to stay alive. (I live with Inuit-before they started eating the junk at the store, they ate no carbs for about 11 months out of the year. I'm not saying we should do this, but I'm making a point.) Actually, the body and brain function best in a ketogenic state, but if you haven't done it and don't research anthropological nutrition, then I know you will find that hard to believe.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    I feel extremely nauseas if I eat fatty food, I don't like avocados and I'm allergic to nuts. I have oily skin and my dermatologist recommended I cut down fat and it has helped big time! I can't eat a fried egg I immediately feel like throwing up!

I'd incorporate more healthy carbs like brown rice but I'm scared I loose control when I start eating carbs I overeat I just need to train myself...

Is it too bad if I get enuf protein but not high calories? I don't feel ill eating this way and I don't feel tired at all and I always feel full....I was concerned my calories are low

You need fruits and vegetables. You need to be eating a balanced diet, which you aren't right now. You need to get vitamins and minerals from whole foods or else your health will suffer. You may feel fine now, but your body isn't getting all of what it needs.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Eating fat does not create excess skin oils, it's usually the opposite. Skin problems are one of many signs of malnutrition. I suspect that you may be very malnourished and you likely need to work on adding in healthy, natural fats slowly. Yes, if your calories are too low on a regular basis, it is an issue. However, if you are avoiding healthy fats, you are going to become increasingly less healthy.

However, you seem to have lots of excuses and you don't really seem to want to rethink what you are doing. Good luck.

PS. You might benefit from researching auto-immune disorders of which food allergies are just one of many.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

Anyone who eats vegetables gets enough carbs. Everyone should be eating some vegetables, so would then be eating carbs. However, carbs are the ONLY macro that is NOT necessary in order to stay alive. (I live with Inuit-before they started eating the junk at the store, they ate no carbs for about 11 months out of the year. I'm not saying we should do this, but I'm making a point.) Actually, the body and brain function best in a ketogenic state, but if you haven't done it and don't research anthropological nutrition, then I know you will find that hard to believe.
    I have researched it. Humans were hunter-gatherers for much of our evolution. Aside from a handful of cultures, we have always eaten carbs in some form. There has never been a point when all we ate was meat. And, if you study the brain and how it functions, you'll find that it needs glucose.

ETA: the op is not eating any vegetables, or at least isn't logging them, which is why the point was brought up in the first place.
  • Morn66
    Options

If fatty foods are making you nauseous and if it's also causing especially diarrhea, especially if (and forgive the graphic-ness here) it's oily and yellow to orange in color and smells really odd, you are having a bile issue.. As in, not enough; bile is essential for digesting fat. This, as I said, is usually associated with a gallbladder condition, often gallstones. You should most certainly see your doctor about this before just jettisoning fat from your diet. Like I said, that will not cure the issue, if one exists. It will only allow it to get worse while you suffer fewer symptoms...for a while, anyway. If a gallbladder/liver issue is ruled out, then I'm guessing your nausea is a psychosomatic reaction to the fear of fat that you've developed. "Psychosomatic" doesn't mean "imaginary," mind you. It's very real. Like I said, the mind is amazing. Ironically, psychosomatic illnesses are often far more difficult to cure than strictly physical ones.

As for losing control with carbs...That entirely up to you. You "simply" make the choice NOT to lose control. Yes, I know it's hard, but you can do it. Eating and then immediately doing something else to distract you from food -- Like maybe exercise, or just sitting down with an absorbing book -- might help.

As for the "too bad" question: As I said, it's bad to cut out an entire macronutrient, no matter which one it is. Your body requires variety for proper nutrition and general functioning. Low-carbing is good for weight loss, yes, but whether it's good for your overall health depends on a number of factors. For me, I did Atkins in the late 90s, when it was all the rage. Yep, I lost a lot of weight. But unbeknownst to me (because I decided to do it without consulting a doctor first), I also further damaged an already weakened liver, which I didn't know at the time was weakened. Please be careful and think about what you are doing. I'm not saying this to be mean, rude, or snarky. I'm saying this because I'm concerned for you, a total stranger on the Internet. :)
  • cherriegh
    Options
    I am not making excuses, I was mere telling you the problems I had and I have seen doctors and what they said and I am not malnourished, the skin problems are genetic not due to food I eat. Itd hard to have allergies and some genetic disorders

Thanks all for your help I was looking for higher calorie veggies I could incorporate but I'll consult a dietitian next week for an appropriate meal plan, than be cruscified and judged.