Intense stomach pains

Hello!

I just joined My Fitness Pal today. I have been following a weight loss plan for the last two weeks. In the last week or so I increased my gym time by an hour (two hours per day). I have not increased calories and do not eat after five. The last few nights when I go to bed I feel extremely nauseous and have difficulty breathing. My body wants to vomit but there's nothing in my stomach. Could someone tell me what is going on? Do I need to drink more water? Eat more? I'm confused and a little frightened!

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Doctor
    THIS

Without knowing how much you're eating or anything else about you: Doctor.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    You're hungry. Eat more.
  • Raevyns
    Raevyns Posts: 91 Member
    #1: Go to the Doctor

#2 This is likely low blood sugar from not eating after 5pm. Have a little protein-rich snack (Some beef or tofu jerky and an apple?) an hour or so before bed and see what happens.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. You should really go see someone who is.
  • Thanks for your suggestion. I know self-diagnosing via internet research isn't advisable but what you mentioned about low blood sugar seems fitting. I have been exercising hard probably without enough in my tummy and what I'm feeling fits the description of mild hypoglycemia. Gah! Finding the right the balance is tricky.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Doctor.
  • Raevyns
    Thanks for your suggestion. I know self-diagnosing via internet research isn't advisable but what you mentioned about low blood sugar seems fitting. I have been exercising hard probably without enough in my tummy and what I'm feeling fits the description of mild hypoglycemia. Gah! Finding the right the balance is tricky.

Indeed.

I still think that making an appointment with your doc is the highest wisdom, even if the snack helps.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Hey :smile:

That doesn't sound nice... Can I ask how many calories you're having a day?

I used to throw up after aerobics, if that's any help. Which I doubt it is.
  • It's not nice!!! 've been camping out around between 700-900 a day. Today I joined MFP and it is telling me I need to eat 1200 calories a day which confuses me haha

Maybe it's helpful? Is that a normal response to intense physical activity? :)
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    It's not nice!!! 've been camping out around between 700-900 a day.

Yes - that's a little too low a deficit. I should up your calories to the MFP recommended and eat back at least half your exercise calories. You really only need a slight deficit to start losing weight - if you go too low your body will start doing strange things!

Throwing up was my intense reaction to class-based exercising. All the peer pressure. It was either keep up or be the only girl sitting on the floor gasping for breath.

Good luck, honey!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You probably need to be eating a lot more than 1200 even but hit that as a bare minimum and there is absolutely no reason not to eat after 5 pm. Your body doesn't care what time of day you feed it so plan a good snack for some time in the evening. I'd suggest Googling BMR and figuring out what yours is. Your BMR is the bare number of calories your body would need to survive in a coma.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    It's not nice!!! 've been camping out around between 700-900 a day. Today I joined MFP and it is telling me I need to eat 1200 calories a day which confuses me haha

Maybe it's helpful? Is that a normal response to intense physical activity? :)
    700-900 calories eaten and then workouts?
    PLEASE eat twice that amount. Or so. NET a minimum (MINIMUM) of 1200 after exercise.
    And still talk to a doctor.
  • You're the second person who told me that not eating after five is pointless and stupid. Thank you. :) A seemingly reliable website tells me that my BMR is approx. 1325. I had no idea how much I was doing wrong. Thanks for your suggestions. Glad I joined MFP. This undertaking could have made a cranky, hungry woman out of me.
  • Thank you!
  • Raevyns
    Just checking up to see how you're feeling! Have you been to a doctor? Have you started eating a wee snack at night?