Good youtube videos showing form for basic heavy liting?

Options
I'm tired of going to the gym and doing only cardio and a few dumbbell exercises while i'm eyeing people trying to figure out how to do the real stuff. Can someone give me some good links? I'm a 35 yo woman who has never done any real lifting before, and I really want to go into the gym and figure it out for myself, I just need to see some good vids that will show me good form so I can walk in feeling (somewhat) confident as I get started.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Why not just talk with a personal trainer? You will thus loose the insecurity. Anyways, you'll find a lot of videos on youtube, just search for them and see what works best for you.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Because a trainer's time costs $150 an hour at a gym I'm already paying a lot for.
    I'm searching YouTube, I just thought someone here might have some good suggestions.

Why waste your time commenting if you don't actually have anything constructive to share?
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Why not just talk with a personal trainer? You will thus loose the insecurity. Anyways, you'll find a lot of videos on youtube, just search for them and see what works best for you.
    because 99%+ of personal trainers are certified in bull****...
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I would trust any of the you tube clips from Mark Riptoe (not sure about the spelling). You Tube has thought me how to do all of my strength routines:) You just have to find the reputable ones...
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have yet to implement it myself, but check out Stronglifts 5x5. There is a free ebook online that will make you more determined than ever to start weight training. There are two simple workouts that you alternate, form for both workouts are on youtube. He also has an 'inner circle' that he opens regularly, where you can send members videos of your form and they will give you feedback on how you are doing. Good luck!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Check out Mike Rippetoe on youtube. In fact if you like his stuff he also sells videos. But at a certain point, you may end up needing a real trainer (shop for a real weightlifter).
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Strengthcamp
    Also, you can go to elitefts.com
  • Beertroll
    Options
    +1 on Stronglifts. It's only 5 total lifts to learn, and there are some form guide videos on stronglifts.com.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I found www.fitnessblender.com they are on youtube also. I like them, they have me sore the next day. good luck to you :smile:
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Scott Herman has some really nice videos. He offers complete workouts, which don't appeal to me, but he also has loads of 2 minute videos showing specific exercises (dumbbell fly or whatever you want). I've found them to be very useful.
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    because 99%+ of personal trainers are certified in bull****...

Yes and your point is, don't trust the trainers, trust the youtube videos :))) marvelous.
    Try twinmuscleworkout :))
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Check out Mike Rippetoe on youtube. In fact if you like his stuff he also sells videos. But at a certain point, you may end up needing a real trainer (shop for a real weightlifter).

Hahaha, MIKE Rippetoe. You really know your stuff dude.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I'm tired of going to the gym and doing only cardio and a few dumbbell exercises while i'm eyeing people trying to figure out how to do the real stuff. Can someone give me some good links? I'm a 35 yo woman who has never done any real lifting before, and I really want to go into the gym and figure it out for myself, I just need to see some good vids that will show me good form so I can walk in feeling (somewhat) confident as I get started.

Thanks in advance!

OP, I would recommend picking up the book called Starting Strength. By Mark Rippetoe, ahem. There is an associated DVD, sold separately, but the book is very thorough. Videos on youtube are nice for learning movement but there are a lot of people demonstrating form with authority who don't really know what they are talking about. And if you don't, either, it is hard to tell what's what. Eventually, you would want to have a coach or an experienced lifter look at your lifts, but those are hard to come by, too, so you should do your own research.
  • azkathi
    azkathi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I asked the trainer to show me a basic barbell squat he asked me "why would you want to do that?" I told him I wanted to be strong and he directed me to the machines.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    When I asked the trainer to show me a basic barbell squat he asked me "why would you want to do that?" I told him I wanted to be strong and he directed me to the machines.

This doesn't surprise me. Most trainers would rather see you flopping about on a Bosu ball than teach you something that actually requires teaching. I would fire his *kitten* and look for someone who lifts.
  • JenniferBMarks
    Options
    my sister is personal trainer ( not with a gym just on her own) and its not "bulls***" if you go to a good one that is experienced & works with multiple age groups.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    For ME, one of the fitness guru's I follow on Youtube is "Vicsnatural", he really helped me correct my squat form. He's pretty thorough.