Any suggestions about how to lose weight without the gym?

Dipayan123
Dipayan123 Posts: 20
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello Friends

I am a guy of 25 . I am wondering if it is possible to lose weight without hitting the gym.

Please suggest any books offering any solutions to that effect.

I am 5.5 and 205 pounds.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Hi I started MFP on Jan 7 and have lost almost 35 lbs w/o exercise. I wish I felt like exercising but it is possible. No book needed, I just followed recommendations here.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    The only thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. The gym can help to increase that deficit and is good for fitness/health. Otherwise, it's all about diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Weight is about calories in vs calorie out. Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight with or without exercise. Exercise helps with fitness and strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Are you willing to exercise, but just not into joining a gym? There are tons of DVDs you can do at home with little to no equipment. I know guys are sometimes not into workouts with a lot of dance-like moves, so I would suggest picking up a copy of Billy Banks TaeBo Express at Walmart for $10. The workout is tough, Billy is awesome and the people in the video are relatable. If you want to purchase some equipment you can buy some dumbells and a swiss ball and do all kinds of workouts in your living room. It is definitely possible to lose weight without going to a gym.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    I would say 80% of losing weight is about diet, but exercising helps you get in shape and burn some. To that end walking, jogging, running, hiking are all things you can do outdoors and burn a lot (swimming too if you have access to pool). Also google body weight workouts. They are basically workouts where you use your own body weight as resistance (pushups, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, etc). If you really want to lift weights and don't have access to a gym (or want to buy some dumb bells or kettlebells) you can use gallon jugs filled with water or rocks or sand. Just get creative with it.

Also youtube. Lots of workouts for home that don't require equipment there.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Weight is about calories in vs calorie out. Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight with or without exercise. Exercise helps with fitness and strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

QFT.

And then if you want to exercise you can put shoes on and walk outside.
  • Wow..great responses.

Thanks a lot and i will be doing more research on calorie deficit.

Thanks a ton everyone.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    I started at 298 pounds. I've lost 55 pounds. I have not stepped foot in a gym! I have no books to suggest. Here is what has helped me!
    I walked. When I first started out I walked a mile. Then I increased my distance to two miles. Then I increased my speed slowly. I do walk and jog intervals for the two miles now.

I used the daily workout app on my phone on days I didn't walk/jog. I still do this at times. I have increased weight from a 5 pound dumbbell to an actual 25 pound weight. I will be increasing that weight soon. I increase weight as it gets easier to get thru the workout.

Recently I started a routine called a total body workout.

The goal is to do....

100- jumping jacks

100- squats

100- crunches

25- push-ups

You do 3 sets of each.

***I don't do these workouts to lose weight. My calorie deficit does this for me. (-; I do this to be healthy, to get strong, and to tone my body.

I hope this is helpful!
  • buffywhitney
    buffywhitney Posts: 172 Member
    Walk :smile:
  • Islandgirl74
    Islandgirl74 Posts: 170 Member
    Are you willing to exercise, but just not into joining a gym? There are tons of DVDs you can do at home with little to no equipment. I know guys are sometimes not into workouts with a lot of dance-like moves, so I would suggest picking up a copy of Billy Banks TaeBo Express at Walmart for $10. The workout is tough, Billy is awesome and the people in the video are relatable. If you want to purchase some equipment you can buy some dumbells and a swiss ball and do all kinds of workouts in your living room. It is definitely possible to lose weight without going to a gym.

Agreed. I am not a member of a gym. I checked out a bunch of DVD's from the library, and then just tried them until I found three or four I like, and then just rotate them. I also walk quite a bit.
    I just started back at MFP (this week), and have lost (well... check my ticker) doing the aforementioned. Good Luck!
  • elle_321
    elle_321 Posts: 63 Member
    grab yourself a skipping rope, go for a walk. grab yourself some hand weights to do some simple strength exercises at home. From what I heard, doing weights can help with your body's ability to burn fat. I can't afford a gym membership so I am finding anything I can do at home. Every little bit helps. Even parking your car a bit further away from where you need to go so you have to walk more.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    There are any number of free videos on the internet you can do at home. Try fitnessblender.com.
  • Interesting responses and suggestions.

Will be checking out all and i will walk more :smile:
  • Nutrition and bodyweight exercises. Being on MFP is a great start. Also, if you have a computer, videos on youtube range from beginner to advanced in terms of difficulty. Playgrounds and parks are an excellent way to get fit without a gym.
  • Brandi92809
    Brandi92809 Posts: 78 Member
    Personally, something that has REALLY helped me in the past was Gilad fitness program. He gives you exercises you can do in your home and it whips your body into shape (well it did for me!). Good Luck!
  • I like walking - I'm pretty old, and have bad knees so running isn't an option. Besides I like walking but don't like running, so there you go... another thing I have done is walk up and down the steps on my front porch. There are six of them. Starting on the top step, going down, over and back up to the starting point is one time. 10 times in the morning and 10 times in the evening take less than 20 minutes a day, but it's moving, and that is what is important.

Or, you can stand up at work, or when you are watching tv at home and just move back and forth from one foot to the other for 5 or 10 minutes. That too gets things moving and uses calories. No book, no gym, not even a video. Just simple moving in place. How easy does it get?

Bet you can find things around the house too that you can do to use calories. As long as you use those calories you consume, you will lose the weight. <><
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    It's easy to lose weight without exercise, but maintaining the weight loss is a whole different story!

If you have medical reasons why you cannot exercise and you're doctor-ordered not to exercise, then don't read what I'm about to say...

Exercise improves your cardiovascular system, reduces body aches and pains that sedentary people experience, gives you feel good buzzies and improves your self esteem and confidence, exercise tones you up so you're not left with flabby extra skin from your weight loss, lifting weights builds muscle that speeds up your metabolism and increases your likelihood that you will keep the weight off, exercise keeps you young, keeps you active, enables you to carry in ridiculous amounts of bags from the car when you go food shopping, makes you able to stay active with your kids, reduces your risk for stroke, heart disease, coronary artery disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and a whole bunch of other diseases I'm not thinking of right now..

So, barring any disability or medical reason why you cannot exercise (although I have a friend in a wheelchair who has completed SEVERAL rounds of P90X, I have a friend with cancer who still runs, etc) my question is, why wouldn't you?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I like walking - I'm pretty old, and have bad knees so running isn't an option. Besides I like walking but don't like running, so there you go... another thing I have done is walk up and down the steps on my front porch. There are six of them. Starting on the top step, going down, over and back up to the starting point is one time. 10 times in the morning and 10 times in the evening take less than 20 minutes a day, but it's moving, and that is what is important.

Or, you can stand up at work, or when you are watching tv at home and just move back and forth from one foot to the other for 5 or 10 minutes. That too gets things moving and uses calories. No book, no gym, not even a video. Just simple moving in place. How easy does it get?

Bet you can find things around the house too that you can do to use calories. As long as you use those calories you consume, you will lose the weight. <><

^^^ Love this...no excuses! My dad is 69 yrs old, was a 3-pack per day smoker for 40 years, has coronary artery disease, is post triple bypass and abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, has skin cancer, a hernia, and COPD, and he still walks three miles 3-4 times per week!
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Hello Friends

I am a guy of 25 . I am wondering if it is possible to lose weight without hitting the gym.

Please suggest any books offering any solutions to that effect.

I am 5.5 and 205 pounds.

Thanks in advance

To be healthy exercise is needed, why do you not want to exercise? you don't need a gym
  • Its mainly because i am lazy :p
    Though i will try to change that in the coming months.
    No medical reasons whatsoever for not exercising.
This discussion has been closed.