My Weight Loss Story

There was a time in my life, not that long ago, when the thought of finding happiness in my health and fitness would have sounded absurd. I was overweight and lazy, at least when it came to being physically active. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was also incredibly unhappy. I finally decided to do something about it. I began to workout with Denise Austin weekday mornings. This was when her show was on Lifetime at 6am. But slowly and surely, the weight came off. I then completed P90, the original workout series by Tony Horton. I became active. Eventually, I lose weight. However, stress and poor eating lead to my regaining the weight. I moved to Florida where I lost a lot of weight, unhealthily. Upon my return to NJ, I regained weight. I finally was done with the yo-yo stuff. I got serious about my fitness. I completed TurboJam, P90X, and Jillian Michaels DVD’s. Slowly I started changing the way I ate. I lost weight, I got stronger, and I found confidence in myself. I began to feel strong and alive. I became more appreciative of my body and grateful of the body that God has blessed me with. I began to educate myself on food, nutrition, and the psychology of eating.

Improving my health and fitness has been one of the hardest, yet most rewarding, things I ever could have done for myself. It is astounding to me how much I have revolutionized my life in the past few years. I have changed my life for the better and, in the process, found myself. Things that bring a smile to my face today are the same things I never would have thought I could do before this journey began. Yes, it brings me joy to have lost 75 pounds, but what brings me true happiness is how drastically my life has changed since I began that journey.

Since I started training harder and making major changes, I’ve crossed various finish lines, completed a mud run, have gone rock climbing and have hiked 12 miles. That may not seem like a big deal for some people but for me it is HUGE. On September 15th, I will run my first half marathon. As fun as it is to cross a finish line, complete an intense workout, and make a new personal record; it’s the small victories contribute to my happiness just as much as the big ones. I am constantly amazed at what I can accomplish.

Throughout this journey, I have found that fueling my body with fresh, unprocessed foods has a tremendous impact on my attitude. I feel so much happier and healthier, and even more productive, when I’m eating real foods. Yet there was a time in my life when I had absolutely horrible eating habits. In college, I lived off Doritos. Even though I’ve worked over the last couple of years to clean up my diet, there are still days I can’t help but smile at the fact that I willingly put spinach in my morning smoothie, and, even more, that I find it delicious! These days, I’m eating foods I’d never heard of before this journey started, let alone would have ever eaten. Don’t get me wrong nobody’s perfect and we all indulge in a craving.

As I’ve cleaned up my diet and increased my fitness, I have discovered a self-confidence that I never knew I had. This is not to say that I don’t still have my insecurities, because (whether we admit it or not) we all do. But as I’ve cultivated my own health, something in me has grown more self-assured. Yes, the weight loss is part of that newfound confidence — but it’s so much more than that. It comes from knowing that I have changed my life for the better.

For so many years, I was uncomfortable in my own skin. I hid behind layers and clothes that covered up the parts of my body I was ashamed of — the belly, the chubby thighs, and the flabby arms. These days, I no longer feel the need to wear jeans in the heat of summer because I don’t want people to see my legs. I see my larger calves not as something to be ashamed of, but as strong and muscular and the power by which I am able to complete my training.

When I think about how much my life has changed in the past several years, I can’t help but be proud of how far I’ve come. I’m in the midst of training for my first marathon this month! But what really gets me pumped knows that where I am now is just the tip of the iceberg. This girl has some big, big dreams for the years to come. I can’t wait to see what the future holds!

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    congratulations!!! very inspiring!
  • Yaritza83
    Yaritza83 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you so much!
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Not only is your story inspirational but you are paying it forward. This is what I love about beachbody! I am thankful to have started my journey 6 mths ago with my beachbody coach Robin and am grateful everyday for what she does for me and for our town. Bless you on your continued success.
    :smile:
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    BUMP
  • Yaritza83
    Yaritza83 Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you so much! That was the best choice you could have done so great job. I am so happy you have a coach that supports you all the way!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!