Thought I would cry during workout

Options
Peppermint_Patty614
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So today was only my second day of Turbo Fire. I was doing a HIIT work out. About 45 seconds into a fire drill, I just felt like crying. I think the only thing that stopped me was the fact that drills are so short that it was over before I felt the full effect of the emotional rush.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have seen threads on this. So, you aren't alone. I haven't done any intense workouts, just a hella lot of walking (up to 5 hours a day) so that might be why I haven't experienced it. It doesn't sound like fun to me, but the people that say that it has happened seem to think it's something like a spiritual event.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    So today was only my second day of Turbo Fire. I was doing a HIIT work out. About 45 seconds into a fire drill, I just felt like crying. I think the only thing that stopped me was the fact that drills are so short that it was over before I felt the full effect of the emotional rush.

no
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I've heard about it and unfortunately I can't offer any explanation. But I want to give you a compliment. You pushed yourself to a limit and you stayed with it. You kicked *kitten*. All I can say, if you did it once, you set a baseline for yourself and you will kick *kitten* again tomorrow. You are awesome!!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally but I have a friend who was at the gym and had an emotional rush like that. For her it was anger though. She was suddenly, out of the blue intensely angry! She actually stopped her workout and left the gym over it. Her trainer told her that can happen when you're in an intense workout and it's not uncommon. She went back next time and didn't have any issues, she had just pushed it really hard that day and it triggered something.
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    I haven't ever cried, but I've had a big "O". That's a lot more fun ;)
  • Sarra33
    Options
    I run 4km three days a week and I occasionally get a bit weepy at the 3km mark. Oddly enough that's also the point at which everything stops hurting and I start feeling like I could run for hours so I'm guessing it's endorphins.
  • bkw99508
    bkw99508 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite....I laugh....like a fool. The problem is that it wipes the strength out of me. My trainer is cool though, he just makes me start over....*kitten*! LOL I say that lovingly of course. :happy:
  • I haven't ever cried, but I've had a big "O". That's a lot more fun ;)

okaaaaaay, I can believe that. LOL!!!
  • I run 4km three days a week and I occasionally get a bit weepy at the 3km mark. Oddly enough that's also the point at which everything stops hurting and I start feeling like I could run for hours so I'm guessing it's endorphins.

Thanks! for mentioning that. I remember now that the song in the background was something about this is my house......I can remember feeling like "yeah, that's right..

By the way, I'm a girl that tears up when emotioanal. I'm moved to tear up just as easily by something that makes me happy as som'e thing that's sad.

Th
  • So today was only my second day of Turbo Fire. I was doing a HIIT work out. About 45 seconds into a fire drill, I just felt like crying. I think the only thing that stopped me was the fact that drills are so short that it was over before I felt the full effect of the emotional rush.

I've heard about it and unfortunately I can't offer any explanation. But I want to give you a compliment. You pushed yourself to a limit and you stayed with it. You kicked *kitten*. All I can say, if you did it once, you set a baseline for yourself and you will kick *kitten* again tomorrow. You are awesome!!

You are awesome for saying so!!!!! You got fired up and ready to go!!!!!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I sometimes laugh. I did it today actually. I was laughing at how incredibly tired I was. Laughing did work my abs though.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've experience this a few different times. Mostly it happens when I'm not performing to the level that I'm accustomed to or if I'm pushing myself really hard and want to stop so bad, but I won't let myself. I've even left the gym when I didn't think i could control it.

I wish I could O during a workout!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    This gets posted from time to time so I'd venture to say it's somewhat common and normal. Seems to always be women too. Guys are more likely to tend to get angry or aggressive I think.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't do any of those videos but, when I work out I sometimes get a hard-on.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Yes - great job! I am pretty sure that when I want to cry while exercising, it's an entirely different thing. lol Early days for me yet.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people who have never done yoga before starting to do yoga and hitting whatever pose that stretches where they hold their emotions and people just breaking out in tears.

It could be that the workout released some pent up emotions because it "touched" whatever part of you was holding them.
  • Guys are more likely to tend to get angry or aggressive I think.

That's exactly my husband said.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Nothing against what you've done OP, but here's my view, and I'm bias.

I think it's your fight or flight instinct kicking in. Overly intense situations can make you cry, puke, or get angry.

If you are working out so hard that you are getting rage or bursting into tears, you're working out too hard. You're not kicking *kitten* and being awesome, you're risking personal injury and f'ing with your desperatation/survival emotions.

Spiritual experience - akin to that? Maybe. Today (well last night till about 3 hours ago) was Yom Kippur. Went to Synagoge, we're all fasting, we're all hungry, and we're all praying.

Sitting, standing, praying, apologizing directly to God for every transgression we might have done or anyone else might have done or thought, or did without knowing, for the past year. For hours: sitting, standing, praying, reflecting, listening, praying, reading, bowing, swaying, praying . . . no water breaks . . . no food since the day before . . . one girl fainted and fell into a curtain, luckily she didn't hit the ground. I started crying during one point in the service. Several others wept quietly as well.

Was it guilt and shame that brought us to these tears?! Not really. We prepare for Yom Kippur, we've already made all our apologies, we know what's coming, and we prepare physically, lower caffine intake, hydrate days before, and eat well before the fast, but the day it happens is long and hours of prayer service, where you can't just 'sit and listen' or 'tune out' is intense.

Why are we so emotionally vulnerable, so open to God? It's most likely not just because we want to be but because we're hungry and thirsty, our stomachs are growling, our mouths are dry, and we're pushing ourselves to endure it because it's seriously and spiritually important to us.

So. . . that's your work out? Pushing yourself past a lot of discomfort to endure it?

For a religious act, okay, I get it, suffer a little, atone, get in the right head space.

But for just burning some calories? Meh! Forget it! I don't want that to be having a 'spiritual experience' just to burn off some french fries. You're wasting the best of yourself on meaningless sweat.

Now, I'm ALL for working out to get the runner's high, that feels fantastic! WOO! That actually feels kinda like sex. But working out till I cry :cry: or get mad :mad:, no thank you.
  • Sarra33
    Options
    Now, I'm ALL for working out to get the runner's high, that feels fantastic! WOO! That actually feels kinda like sex. But working out till I cry :cry: or get mad :mad:, no thank you.

I can't speak for the OP but for me those few moments of weepiness are the runner's high kicking in. When the endorphins hit, I know I've worked through the initial aches and pains, my muscles are warmed up and when that 30 seconds of feeling like I'm going to cry passes I feel like I could run for hours. It's very different than the point at which my body says "STOP!".
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i'm doing jillian michaels body revolution. i'm two week from finishing it she has made me cry, almost puke a few, pass out almost so more like lite headed then any thing. i have felt angry but that was more at myself because i could do some of it. but i'm so happy for how far i have come
This discussion has been closed.