Diet pills

Options
I know a lot of people are opposed to diet drugs, and at times, I have been too. But I have been going round and round with weight loss lately – or should I say, up and down? It’s been so frustrating, and the bottom line is that every time I lose 3 pounds, I seem to gain 4. Up – down – up – down… I’m so tired of it, and nothing has motivated me to stick with anything. Back in the mid-90’s I had great success with a diet pill called Redux. At the time, it was a new medicine that worked on the serotonin levels in the brain and really changed the way you thought about food. It made me not hungry at all and it wasn’t speedy or an amphetamine. Unlike most diets when all you think about is food, Redux really changed that. I had to remind myself to eat. I would be satisfied with really small meals, so naturally I ate fewer calories. I lost weight steadily and quickly, and right as I was hitting my goal weight and weaning myself off the pills, they were pulled off the market because some people had heart valve issues, and some even died from it.

Well, I called our doctor last week to see if there were any other prescriptions out that would be similar to Redux, and he told me about a new drug that just came out this summer. It’s called Belviq, and it also works on the serotonin levels in your brain, like Redux. It’s expensive, but there’s a free 15-day trial available, and he called in the scrip for me. I waited until last night to start taking it, because I remember when I started taking Redux, there was a 2 day adjustment period, and there’s no way I could have worked while taking this if it was the same type of situation. I’m glad I waited, but so far, so good. It’s to be taken 2 x a day, so I decided to do 8 AM and 8 PM, and I took the first one last night. I woke up with a headache, which happens fairly often for me, so I’m not sure if that’s from the drug, or just another day for me. I took my 2nd pill this morning, and I’m a bit dizzy and out of it (LOL – what else is new?), but not nearly like I remember from when I took Redux. I took some Aleve after breakfast, and that got rid of the headache.

So – time will tell if this will work. I am very encouraged about it though – I am so ready to win this battle again! My goal is to lose 24 pounds, which seems like it should be very do-able.

Anyone else taking Belviq? Always up for accountability partners, so send me a message or reply on the boards. I don't read the forums nearly as often as email or personal messages, but I welcome the encouragement and friendship!

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Since it's a new drug, what are the side effects? And what will happen once you stop taking them? Will the weight be regained back since you would be off the drug?
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    LIke above says, what will happen when you stop taking them. Are you gonna be taking them for the rest of your life, just to keep the weight off, sounds like you are relying on these pills to much. If you have hunger issues maybe spread your meals out more. Say eat every 3 hours which will keep a steady supply of food coming and will help with hunger issues.
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose 24lbs, then I would take the steps necessary to achieve it without diet pills...

It's an achievable amount of weight to lose in a few months . Diet pills may be too drastic a method.
  • Paula5130
    Paula5130 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I supplement my diet with raspberry ketone capsules, sometimes a mango supplement, acqi, and green tea. Trying to keep it natural and maintainable.. I do use an exercise supplement to boost my energy levels in the gym, and the raspberry ketones helps towards this goal as well. I tried ALLI last year but because my diet is low fat anyway I didn't actually see any benefit in using them, and the scale didn't alter
  • Brandi92809
    Brandi92809 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. Also you might could try organic coconut oil (2 tablespoons a day). I have heard people have had success with that, and its healthy for you in so many ways. Good luck!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/06/weight-loss-pill-belviq-is-now-available-but-we-say-skip-it/index.htm

I personally wouldn't bother with it. I've used Phentermine in the past. I lost the weight but then regained due to not changing my eating habits. There is NO quick fix sorry to say :flowerforyou:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    banging-head-against-the-wall.gif

What will happen when you stop? Why not just eat at a small deficit and workout. It will work and is sustainable.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have tried diet pills, and nothing happened, except when one pill, refused to go all the way down, and started to expand before it hit my gut. Never again!
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    No pills are good. Eat clean, workout 30 mins a day eat at least 1200 calories a day and the weight will come right off. There are no magic pills.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound disrespectful and discouraging. You are looking for a magic pill. You will never find it. Everything you saying in your blog goes against the simple principles of good, healthy eating. You take the pill and your have to remind yourself to eat? How long will you last? Have you heard of term "skinny fat"? Look it up - it is horrible.

Calculate your TDEE, your BMR, learn about calorie deficit and include physical activity. Calorie deficit is a simple formula. All you need to to supply your body with good macro-, and micro-nutrients, so your metabolism does it's thing. And speaking of metabolism, you said in 90s you were able to lose weight. You were 20 years younger, your metabolism worked more efficiently.

I wish you luck with your goals and again, I am sorry if I offended you in any way.
  • ilysejohnson
    ilysejohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I am eager to see how Belviq works for me. Since I had success with Redux before, I'm hoping that this will have similar results. I need something to get me re-committed and re-dedicated to the process. I don't expect to take this the rest of my life... just enough to stop the yo-yo'ing I've been doing this past year. My doctor agreed with me, and I'm confident that giving this a try will help.

My overall eating plan is super-healthy --- I changed my diet in 2005 and eliminated all processed foods, white flour, white sugar, added sugar and fried foods. I started letting some of the bad stuff, and too much of the good stuff, take over... so, I really needed a reboot!

:flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If the first drug worked so well, why are you needing to lose weight now? Just a thought that short term solutions rarely work.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I am eager to see how Belviq works for me. Since I had success with Redux before, I'm hoping that this will have similar results. I need something to get me re-committed and re-dedicated to the process. I don't expect to take this the rest of my life... just enough to stop the yo-yo'ing I've been doing this past year. My doctor agreed with me, and I'm confident that giving this a try will help.

My overall eating plan is super-healthy --- I changed my diet in 2005 and eliminated all processed foods, white flour, white sugar, added sugar and fried foods. I started letting some of the bad stuff, and too much of the good stuff, take over... so, I really needed a reboot!

:flowerforyou:

I can't see how this will stop the yo yo'ing you have been having. To me it will just make it worse. The best way to stop yo yo'ing is to stick to a sensible plan of training and dieting. To many people rely on so called quick fixes, and thats why so many go back to were they started, as there not suitable on the long run. Dieting or training is a long term commitment. But its up to you mate, i hope it does help and you can stay committed to you goal. Good luck :)
  • ilysejohnson
    ilysejohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The first drug I took was back in 1996 - pre-menopaus, pre-shoulder injury. I lost weight then and kept it off, and when I eliminated all the junk out of my diet in 2005, I was able to eat just about everything without counting calories or gaining weight back. When I injured my shoulder in 2007, I was no longer able to workout 5 days a week, and that's when the real yo-yo'ing started. Plus, in 2010, I changed jobs and went from a fairly active day to a lot of desk-sitting or driving several hours a day. I've changed, my lifestyle has changed. I'm happy with my choice to try Belviq, and was hoping for some support here.
  • rmblackmt123
    rmblackmt123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry to offend you but I don't think you'll find too many people on here who will support the pills. Every here is to support healthy goal of eating and exercise To each their own of course but good luck with it.
  • roxannespecht
    roxannespecht Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used diet pills off and on for 30 years. I've felt shame about it because most people seem to see it as an act of weakness. I don't understand why it is ok to drink all kinds of energy drinks but taking a supplement that helps with energy, focus and appetite is unacceptable. I want to be healthy and part of that is maintaining my weight and these pills help. I currently take hydroxy slim. Maybe I will regret it one day, but I am 57 and weigh 115 lb and I know that I would be heavier if I didn't have these supplements. I would love to hear how the new pills work for you.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have used diet pills off and on for 30 years. I've felt shame about it because most people seem to see it as an act of weakness. I don't understand why it is ok to drink all kinds of energy drinks but taking a supplement that helps with energy, focus and appetite is unacceptable. I want to be healthy and part of that is maintaining my weight and these pills help. I currently take hydroxy slim. Maybe I will regret it one day, but I am 57 and weigh 115 lb and I know that I would be heavier if I didn't have these supplements. I would love to hear how the new pills work for you.

Hmmm...sock puppet for the diet pill advertiser?
  • TomDonis
    TomDonis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Poor thing asks a question and everybody starts throwing stones at her.

Answer the question or STFU people.

I don't know about her, but if I asked a question in this manner I would want answers to MY QUESTION instead of the rubbish that is pouring out.

There, now I've joined the ranks of you lot and poured out my opinion too instead of answering the question. I'm now part of the flock. Kill me now.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8ab4ch1bx1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If it's a seratonin reuptake inhibitor it's a mild antidepressant and you can expect to feel dizzy for starters, followed by the odd headache.

Zyban works the same way on smoking. I've had zyban - when you're on it, you lose interest in the cigarette. You don't remember to smoke. It's really groovy.

Enjoy the drug. Use it. If it's not too dear, go for it. Appetite is a b##ch. If you can trick it, go for it.

when you've hit your maintenance though, maybe once you have maintained a little while, your stomach will have shrunk. Then when you go off the drug (slowly) your appetite might be smaller. Do you think? It would be great if you can get away with it. D: