How to get 125 gms of vegeterian protein?

Options
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am a vegetarian and allergic to soy or soy products. Can someone tell me how to get 125 gms of vegetarian protein in my diet daily? I already have a protein shake in the morning with protein powder (plant fusion) and also eat lentils, yogurt and get about 70-80 gms roughly.

I tried having protein bars(pure protein) from Costco, but it is causing bad acne. I would like to know if i can eat anything else and make it to 125 gms every day.

thanks

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    That could be challenging, depending on your calorie and fat goals.

Cheese
    Grains (breads, cereals, oatmeal, pasta)
    Eggs
    All kinds of legumes, not just lentils (black beans, chickpeas, hummus)
    Milk (low-fat or skim if you need to keep the fat and in check) (maybe you could make your protein shakes with it)

Do you log your veggies and fruits too? They don't have lot of protein, but they have some, and if you are eating a lot, those might account for another 15 or 20 grams of protein a day. (You could get your 125 grams of protein from asparagus for less than 1150 calories if that was all you ate. Of course, that would be more than 11 lbs of asparagus.)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    One of the guys on here (so sorry I can't remember who) said yesterday his trainer put him on a milk diet when he was trying to bulk. He said he went from 189 to 240 or 250 within 6 months. Find the thread called an all milk diet and you'll find his post in there. Since your protein number is so high, I thought maybe you're trying to build muscle, too, and he could share his experience.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I found that pumpkins seeds and asparagus are very high in plant based protein. 1 oz of seeds is 9 grams.

I also eat a lot of quinoa, cauliflower and spinach. All these are very low calorie density food, but high in protein and also have enormous amounts of micronutrients.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese FTW! ... I absolutely LOVE it!
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great way to add protein as well.
  • AAA81
    AAA81 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Seitan.
  • SrsLii
    SrsLii Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink one of those protein shots every morning, because I have issues getting enough calories... try the Protica shots, you get 50 grams of protein for 200 calories, no sugar and no fat grams. If those give you problems, there are also shots with all whey protein called New Whey or something like that, with 42 grams for something like 180 calories, with no sugar and no fat grams. Anyways, you can tote them around with you because they don't have to be refrigerated... they taste like cough syrup though, so make sure to have something to chase them with! I buy mine at Rite Aid, if that helps.

I also do a lot of greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites, and lowfat string cheese.

It's tough to get enough protein as a vegetarian when you're cutting your calories... definitely try the protein shots though, since you get more protein for your calories than you do with most protein powders or shakes that include other ingredients.

Good luck. :)
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I find fat free dairy products help me get my protein in while staying within my calories. I eat fat free cottage cheese, fat free greek yogurt, string cheese and pretty much any other fat free cheese. I also eat egg beaters daily, which is about the best protein to calorie ratio I've found. There's also defatted peanut flour that you can put in your shakes to get more protein and give them the taste of peanut butter. I have nothing against fat, but by keeping it low, it keeps my calories low, which means I can fit more protein in.
  • Akeria1
    Akeria1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do nut milk with plant protein and spinach for breakfast it's good and a great breakfast! It definitely has a good amount or protein. For lunch I usually do spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts. It's yummy with more protein! Dinner I usually do beans with quinoa or salad with nuts I usually get close on my protein requirements! There is also nuts and seeds for snacks and lots of cereal has added protein now too! I hope this helped! :)
  • inertia2012
    inertia2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your response. my god this website is amazing!!!!!!
  • sj_1970
    Options
    Pumpkin Seeds
    Almonds
    Beans
    Nut butters - varying kinds/amounts
    Red Mills thick cut oatmeal 1/2 cup dry=5g of protein
    Red Mills Steel cut oatmeal 1/4 cup = 7g of protein
    Raw sunflower seeds
    1c of broccoli 3g of protein
    Spinach 13 g of protein per serving -no wonder Popeye had those arms :)
    Chickpeas/hummus

this is some info on vegetable proteins http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    very easy... just eat 125 cups of broccoli.

Good luck :laugh:

lol..seriously, go with VEGA SPORT shakes or all the VEGA powder. it will go very fast.