Recipes with Chicken, Rice, Pasta or Hamburger patties...

Options
djc315
djc315 Posts: 585 Member
Okay so....I am REALLY tight on money right now. I have a few things on hand, rice, pasta, can of baked beans. And then in my freezer I have chicken, hamburger patties, and some chicken sausage.

I have been grilling every night because I get home late and it's too warm to start up the oven. BUT I am sick of grilling, or at least sick of what I am making on the grill. It's always BBQ chicken with a side of rice or pasta, and a veggie (if I have any) or a hamburger patty with pasta and sauce.

What else can I do that will be quick and easy? Also, I cook for one so I don't like making huge dishes. I am not against freezing leftovers, but I don't want a recipe that feeds 10 because that will use up all my supplies and I will be sick of that recipe quickly lol.

I have basic seasonings on hand.

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Maybe some form of chicken Parmesan? Basic recipe would be to cook the chicken fillets in a fry pan (if it is too hot for the oven) with some basil, oregano, salt, pepper, then serve on a bed of pasta with some tomato sauce. If you have bread crumbs and it is not too hot for the oven, then you could bread the chicken (dip in whipped egg, coat in bread crumbs, cover in sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake until the chicken is done, and again serve on a bed of pasta.

Since it sounds like you have vegetables, you could also do a chicken stir fry with rice. Sautee your heavier vegetables first (carrots, celery, etc) then add the lighter stuff. Season to taste, then add chicken cut into 1" pieces and sautee until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with rice. For an Asian flair, use soy sauce instead of salt.
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do is to layer rice with a hamburger patty and a fried egg. It's SO yummy!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Stir fry with the chicken and some rice? Maybe make a stroganoff with the hamburger meat and pasta?
  • djc315
    Options
    My favorite thing to do is to layer rice with a hamburger patty and a fried egg. It's SO yummy!

That sounds different and yummy.

I don't have many veggies, not enough for a stir fry. I mostly have frozen corn, frozen green beans with almond slices, and broccoli (also frozen). I could do the chicken parm though, which would be a slight change from the hamburger patty parm (which is basically elbows and a hamburger patty lol)
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    A fried rice would work with the veggies you listed, shred some meat through it. Patties can be broken up and made into balls also, so you could vary it a little with a pasta and meatballs with a nice tomato sauce? Also, curried sausages over rice would be tasty?
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I almost never bake or grill. I usually cook everything in a pan on the stove. Off the top of my head here is what I might do with your ingredients:

- Chicken stir-fry with lots of veggies and a side of rice
    - Pasta with veggies and chicken sausage (use tomato sauce and only one serving of pasta)
    - Hamburger (I usually do mine in a pan...)
    - Hamburger Casserole: Could take some finagling based on your calorie goal but momma makes a casserole with ground beef, macaroni, cheese sauce, and tomato sauce on top. OM. NOM. NOM.

Otherwise, there are plenty of mixes you can do with chicken/ground beef/chicken sausage and veggies. Just find a sauce that tastes good with all of them like soy, teriyaki, buffalo wing, etc and use a serving of carb as filler.
  • djc315
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to make a stir fry tomorrow night with chicken and rice. I think.
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    instead of stir-fry you could make Tom Kha Gai (sorry I keep mixing up the names! haha) soup (spicy asian soup with coconut milk, I put mushroom and capsicum in it and chicken would go fine!) and add rice to it? Generally this soup will have less calories to it than any kind of stir fry packet mix. I lived off this for a few days this week, it's quick and easy and a little goes a long way. :)
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Toss the pasta with some fat free cream cheese and a dab of butter and some cajun seasonings. Throw in the chicken sausage and whatever veggie sounds good to you. Bam, Cajun Pasta.