What will your life be like once you reach your goal? Here's

Options
On the 15th May of this year I reached my goal weight and waved goodbye to my 50lb excess. As I approach the first 5 month anniversary I thought I would share what the last 5 months have been like and what my current weight/happiness etc is.

The thing that most worried me once I had hit my goal weight was that I was going to gradually put it all back on as my old habits slowly started sneaking back. I was also worried that I would be watching what I eat for the rest of my life and that eating was no longer "fun". Well, these are my results...

Once the weight has gone you don't have the stomach capacity to eat the amount you were eating before. I am rarely hungry and I do eat smaller meals compared to the fat version of me. Don't shoot me but...I still have a take-away (or two) each week (GASP! Shock horror!). The thing is I no longer feel depressed or angry with myself after because for the other 5/6 days of the week I'm still eating responsibly. The other thing is I have changed what I eat when I eat the fast food...

McDonald's (and I never thought I would ever tell ANYONE this!) my old usual of 3 hamburgers, large chips and a large coke has been replace with 1 hamburger, small chips and a bottle of water. In calorie terms that's 480 calories instead of the 1,560 it used to be.

KFC - My old 3 pieces of chicken, 2 hot wings, mini-fillet and large coke has been replaced with a zinger burger, small chips and a bottle of water.

Reaching your goal shouldn't mean the end of everything you ever loved and I firmly believe that I would fail if I didn't have something to look forward to each week. It is all about enjoying yourself but being responsible with it. The smaller meals are just as filling because my huge over-hanging gut doesn't exist anymore so my body doesn't need a couple of thousand calories per sitting.

So 5 months on I have lost a little more (132 now and 140 was the goal weight I hit in May) and I also have a 4 pack. I could go the whole hog and aim for a 6 pack but to be honest I am happy with my body now and those last few pounds would take an awful lot of hard work and I just don't want to go through it when I'm so happy now.

What about exercise? Those who know me will know that I went mad and I was burning from 700 to 1,200 calories a day on the treadmill etc. I had the cartilage removed from my right knee a few years ago and I was stupid doing so much running because it has caused damage. I now greatly limit the exercise I do and look to other ways of burning calories. For example I take the stairs to the 4th floor where I work instead of the lift (doing this 10 times a day). When I'm walking home I walk at a fast pace instead of a leisurely stroll. For the last two months I have all but stopped fitness and yet my weight still remains the same because I am being responsible in what I eat. I'm not calorie tracking; just being aware of what I eat in a day.

My confidence is still higher than it has ever been and walking around this summer in figure-hugging t-shirts, jeans etc has been WONDERFUL! I actually LOVED going out this summer!

When I first started this epic journey a bought some scales which also calculated the body fat, H2O etc and this has been a godsend for me. You never know how accurate these things are but it doesn't matter because as long as you use the same scales you can see what's happening to your body. Each week (usually a Monday) I take a full reading and note it all down in an excel doc so I can keep an eye on what is going on. If my weight has remained the same but the body fat has slightly increased I know that this week I will cut down on any fatty foods.

My weight fluctuates between 132 and 136 pounds which seems a lot but we all have lives that revolve around others and those staff lunches and family meals out will happen. This is why I have such a range in weight. In all honesty it isn't that bad because as it reaches 136 I know to cut back a little or do some gentle sessions in the gym and it very quickly drops back down. Likewise when it drops below 132 I eat a little more to bring it back up. At 132 I'm right on the limit before I'm classed as underweight so it is a number I try to stick to.

Maintaining your weight once you reach your goal is no longer that difficult to do. Hopefully, like me, you won't hate yourself if you do have a good evening out because you now have the control over your body to compensate for any deviations.

I have found it incredibly easy to remain fit and enjoy food because I still monitor my body stats once a week and tweak as needed. I no longer count calories on here because I have no need to. Stopping the calorie count is very rewarding when your body maintains a level weight :)

Life is amazing, happy, awesome, contented, great, joyous and losing that weight has been more life transforming than I EVER imagined! You will be SO happy once you get there because it isn't then a life of gym and salads. You really can enjoy life, enjoy food and enjoy treats. The big difference is they are now treats and not the everyday foods that piled on the pounds!

What I want ALL those who are losing the weight via a lifestyle change to know is once you've made it you won't have to worry about calorie counting or never eating the foods you enjoy or anything else you're worried about.

Your mind will be so strong after doing this journey it will honestly be MUCH easier to maintain than you think BUT... and it is a big but... The route you take IS VITAL! If you are on anything other than a lifestyle change this strong mindset probably won't be there because you're not learning about alternatives and new routines so you won't be learning about how to maintain once you're there.

I took the slow and steady route and opted for the lifestyle change. I cut back on bad foods and sought out alternatives. It took me months to lose it and find new foods but that meant once I hit my goal I had everything in place to help me keep at a maintenance level.

Life is very, very, very good 5 months on!

Replies

• sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Well done! There's hope for the future! :smile:
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss goal being met. Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been on MFP for 3 months, starting my 4th. It has been a Godsend to me. I have lost weight so many times before but never kept it off due to not making the other times a lifestyle change. This time, things are different, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet and it's working. Thanks again, your story has been very inspiring to me and makes me stay focused on my end results! Happy 5th month anniversary!
  • Avalon203
    Options
    Thank god for you Simon! haha. Someone posted a similar, 'my new life' thread about a week ago and whilst I was so happy for the woman who was posting, she had lost about 50lbs and was really happy.....the way she explained how her life was now did more to depress than inspire me! She continued to count calories obsessively, never ate fast food or processed food or drank alcohol, and only snacked on nuts and seeds. Now dont get me wrong, as long as she is healthy and happy, good for her BUT it did not inspire me personally. This really got me down because I am hoping that once I have worked so hard to get healthy and lose all my excess weight, I will be able to live more 'normally'- in other words, still eat well and exercise, but have a night out drinking with friends, or go for a calorie laden Sunday lunch with my family without having to feel guilty and worry about it..... Thank you for showing that this can be done!! And well done on your weight loss :flowerforyou:
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post - it is heartening to hear a very well-adjusted outlook to things 'post weight-loss quest'.

Cheers!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post!!! I have reached my original goal and would like to lose 5 more lb of vanity weight, but I'm getting comfortable with where I am, and in my clothes. I too have stopped obsessively calculating as I have a general idea of what is good and what is bad for my body. But thank you so much for your insight and experience on your maintenance and exercise. It is extremely encouraging, and there are several things I will look to put into practice in my own life.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for sharing your story. I really am in awe of your attitude; the fact that you've changed your lifestyle for good and the fact you can still eat KFC!!! :laugh:

My dream is to lose the weight and NEVER diet again!! I'm getting too old for this now!! :laugh:

Keep it going hun, you're a star! :drinker:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Thanks for posting as I am in early phases of maintenance and sometimes find it harder than weight loss mode. I think weighing between 132 and 136 is NOT that big of a fluctuation in maintenance and say kudos to you for being able to stay within that range! I have allowed myself a 5 pound range that I bounce between, so as not to get too anxious with just a 2 pound gain. Congrats on maintaining and from the sound of it, you will be successful at it for the rest of your life! Great information to share with everyone else!
  • ttspears
    ttspears Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great story! I believe every word. I am looking forward to reaching my goal weight and staying there. I know I can do it this time!
  • SimonLondon
    Options
    Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for sharing your story. I really am in awe of your attitude; the fact that you've changed your lifestyle for good and the fact you can still eat KFC!!! :laugh:

My dream is to lose the weight and NEVER diet again!! I'm getting too old for this now!! :laugh:

Keep it going hun, you're a star! :drinker:

It really is all about going for this as a lifestyle change. I learnt so much about food, alternative foods, calories in food etc that once I hit my goal I really did have the knowledge in place to keep it going.

I had failed at every fad diet I had ever done. Yes I'd lost the weight but I soon put it back on because I hadn't learnt how to maintain.

This time is very, very different :smile:
  • gingajoy
    Options
    I'm with Avalon203 -- thank you for sharing the fact that you can eat things that seem to be out of bounds and still lose weight. As someone who loves food (and perhaps loves it even more now she's preparing and cooking it better) I know that I never want to outlaw anything. I just want to be mindful of what it means if I slip back into mindless eating. Thanks for the inspiration:-)
  • thanish
    thanish Posts: 24
    Options
    thanks for the share. a boost for our motive here.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm getting close to my goal and I really feel like I get what you are saying. At first I was scared to even try because I didn't want to end up on a yo yo. But thanks to MFP, I didn't just lose weight I learned about me, food, and that relationship. Your story is really wonderful confirmation that I can maintain what I've done for the rest of my life, because of the tools MFP has given me. Thank you and good luck on your continuing journey of maintenance.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I also say thanks for posting this...I often freak out at what the "end" has in store for me. I know this will always be something I have to be concious about but the thought of freaking out over my calories each day and never eating out makes me want to quit sometimes......

But you are living proof that you can get the weight off and keep it off and still live your life. Thank you for this post!!!
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration!!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, I'm getting close to my goal and teh thought of maintaining (and eating more) is a little scary. It s great to hear that it can be done.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I especially agree with "slow and steady wins the race!" I'm in this for the long haul, too. I haven't really given up anything, so there SHOULD be no reason for me to gain the weight back. :bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!