HELP-stress/emotional eating

Options
I have known for a while that I am an emotional eater, but this past weekend was really difficult and I need to do something!! I am interested in finding other things to do when I get so stressed and turn to food. The obvious one is to exercise, but I am looking for other alternatives that would get rid of the stressful feelings. So, what do you do?

Replies

• kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Take up a craft?

I should take my own advice!
  • naguilar210
    Options
    I call a friend up and just talk about nothing and everything.
    Usually someone that I havent talked to in a while.
    The conversation usually ends up a happy one letting me forget what I am stressed over in the first place.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    what I have been doing everyday for a few weeks is waking up extra early.. just so I'm awake before my kids (5yrs and 8months).. I make my coffee, feed the dog, get a bottle ready for when the baby wakes up, and then just SIT... and RELAX! I consider it my "quiet time" and savour the hell out of it! I actually look forward to waking up extra early just for this moment! And I have to force myself to go back to bed for a little longer if I wake up around 3 or 4am because I need at least 7 hours... but seriously, it's my favorite time of day because there is nothing to stress about yet, no chaos, just quiet :-)
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job mom of 8. I am mom of 6 and work full time I know how hard it is to stay motivated with so much going on. I think homeschooling is the best way to teach your kids. We tried it for one year, my husband was suppose to do it, but it didn't work out!! But I admire those who can pull it off!!

Can you have your oldest watch the kids while you just go for some short walks here and there? Can you take all the kids and find a nice walking path that everyone can enjoy. I used to take all kids to a playground I would run around the playground. I loved it and they did too!! Maybe you all could go bike riding together?? For me running relieves my stress the best!! Good Luck!!
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too. I get moving. And I don't necessarily mean "exercise" (if you can great!) I know sometimes with little ones you can't so I just DO anything to stop myself from snacking. Start or finish some laundry, put away some dishes, pick up things around the house and put them away, sort the mail, run something out to the mailbox, all those little things that need to be done, pick one or two and do them. Keep your hands busy! Start a game or craft or tickle fight with the kids, I like the suggestion of calling a friend - brush your teeth or chew gum sometimes the thought of eating after brushing is a turn off. Drink water - and of course, make sure you aren't really and truly in need of a snack first. I think chasing little ones burns more calories than we give ourselves credit for!
    HTH!
    Good luck,
    J
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I volunteer -- at the humane society, so I get to walk dogs, play with puppies, leave feeling good about life knowing that I put a wag in that dog's tail.

I also volunteer at a therapeutic riding centre for disabled people - very rewarding! And I volunteer at Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I get to hang out with a sweet 10 year old girl.

Maybe you could sign up to volunteer somewhere? Just an hour or two a week.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I journal. Either by putting pen to paper, or typing into my computer, I usually start with "I don't know what's going on with me..." Or, sometimes I do know what is going on. Once I get started, the words start flowing, sometimes the tears, too. :sad: :tongue: But it always helps me to get the feelings out and avoid emotional eating. Sometimes I go back and read what I previously wrote. It's enlightening to see what I was going through at the time and how far I've come since then.